Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2024, 04:41 PM   #21
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Should've signed him longer.

But I get the approach of a "prove it" term deal given the year he was coming off of.
But at the time of signing him, if the Flames signed him longer, this site would've melted. Even with this short show me deal, remember all the negativity?
Old 01-19-2024, 04:46 PM   #22
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually remember wishing it was 3-4 years at the time of the deal.

Just because if you're investing in this guy you might as well go all in.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 08:27 PM   #23
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Needed a bump. What a night! What a shot!

4 point night in the midst of Trade Deadline mania.

Did Conman find us a 1C in Sharkey?

His productivity has been excellent even after transition to center.

He has completely turned Huby's season around.

He is also defensively responsible.

Sure does not feel like we are in for a long rebuild with a player like that at age 26.

Coronato looked good tonite on his RW.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 08:33 PM   #24
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post

Sure does not feel like we are in for a long rebuild with a player like that at age 26.

Please get the spelling right its Yegoal scoringoalvitch.

Besides that that could we have inadvertently found a number one c ?
Anyone poo pooing this trade i dont get it. Almost thirty goals. Defensively decent. Good skater. Shot that’s unreal. Did i mention you could just toss him in as your number one center? Oh and a great guy?

Extend this guy. If he is a center this team could be deadly.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:35 PM   #25
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love it if we locked him down for a few years. Not one I want to see traded
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:44 PM   #26
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way you trade this guy with the chemistry he has with Hubs.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:51 PM   #27
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's had two transition periods this year so far.

The first was joining the team and playing on the 4th line, showing that he could play a solid 2-way role. He passed that audition.

Then he was given a spot at wing in the top 6, and he started scoring in bunches. Can he play offense? Check.

The team moves Lindholm out, and because of necessity, they ask him to move back to center, but this time in a top 6 role. He definitely saw his offense suffer as he adjusted back to center against top competiton, but held his own defensively.

Now, we see that he can add a lot of offense while having solid defensive numbers.

In his last 7 games, he has 9 points and is a +9.

Yegor Sharangovich is currently our #1 center. That is a sentence I would not have possibly thought at the beginning of the year.

This is why you never say with certainty what the future holds for a team. I saw someone say today on this forum that the Flames don't have a shot at a competitive team until 2030. WTF???!!! This league is full of so many variables that a team's fortune can change on a dime (see: Flames post playoff loss to Edmonton...dun dun dun). It's also why I love this G.M.'s M.O.: Find players that are buried on good teams. If you give a guy an opportunity to flourish that he's not getting somewhere else, not only might he pop, but he'll also be eternally loyal to a franchise that gave him that shot and believed in him. That guy will go through the wall for his team, and won't act like a mercenary (like so many recent players we traded away).

That's how you build a good team and a good culture. Keep on this path. This is the way.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 03-07-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:05 PM   #28
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

The first was joining the team and playing on the 4th line, showing that he could play a solid 2-way role. He passed that audition.

Then he was given a spot at wing in the top 6, and he started scoring in bunches. Can he play offense? Check.

The team moves Lindholm out, and because of necessity, they ask him to move back to center, but this time in a top 6 role. He definitely saw his offense suffer as he adjusted back to center against top competiton, but held his own defensively.

Now, we see that he can add a lot of offense while having solid defensive numbers.

Yegor Sharangovich is currently our #1 center. That is a sentence I would not have possibly thought at the beginning of the year.

This is why you never say with certainty what the future holds for a team. I saw someone say today on this forum that the Flames don't have a shot at a competitive team until 2030. WTF???!!! This league is full of so many variables that a team's fortune can change on a dime (see: Flames post playoff loss to Edmonton...dun dun dun). It's also why I love this G.M.'s M.O.: Find players that are buried on good teams. If you give a guy an opportunity to flourish that he's not getting somewhere else, not only might he pop, but he'll also be eternally loyal to a franchise that gave him that shot and believed in him. That guy will go through the wall for his team, and won't act like a mercenary (like so many recent players we traded away).

That's how you build a good team and a good culture. Keep on this path. This is the way.
A philosophy for success as a Canadian NHL franchise! Well said!

I think we have ourselves a very special GM!
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:09 PM   #29
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Also why im not willing to say to much on the supposed throw in for Hanifin. I think conroy is the pro scout we have been missing or is listening to the guys who are.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:10 PM   #30
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The Belorussian Beaut

The Minsk Monster

Number 17 in your program...
The Nuclear Threat
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:13 PM   #31
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's crazy to see how he has adjusted both to first line duties, then as the top line center.

Unbelievably skilled, great shot, and can play both sides of the puck.

What a turn of events if he pans out, not only as a player here, but a better center than Lindholm extended would've been. Like, whuuuut?

Side note - did we inadvertently discover Coronato's future spot in this line up??
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 09:38 PM   #32
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Flames are using an interesting strategy by acquiring players who have been pushed down the lineup.
On most teams your top six guys are going to be used more and then you're going to have some players who are under the radar but are not really getting an opportunity because of low ice time. Kind of like Sam Bennett.

What's more interesting is that they're not looking for players who traditionally are considered to have high-end skill but looking a little deeper.

It's a similar strategy that Florida used to pick up players who might not be happy on their current teams but are "obvious" skilled players, but the ones the Flames are targeting , are not so obvious. This is a good strategy because you're getting players who've had to mature by playing within the system but not getting opportunities to play higher up in the lineup.

Dallas was raving about how much Calgary knew about their player. A player that more likely would have been under the radar for other teams.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 03-07-2024 at 09:41 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 09:47 PM   #33
Lewis_D
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lewis_D For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 09:49 PM   #34
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing to see here! It's just a shooting percentage heater. Everyone go on home!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:51 PM   #35
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post

No, Sharangovich isn’t a #1C. He looks overmatched and out of his depth at centre.

He looks perfect on RW with Huberdeau.

Huberdeau-Mercer-Sharky would be a solid stopgap first line.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:54 PM   #36
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a fine stop gap.

Better on wing to this point, but he's improving steadily with center duties.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:57 PM   #37
Isbrant
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
It's also why I love this G.M.'s M.O.: Find players that are buried on good teams. If you give a guy an opportunity to flourish that he's not getting somewhere else, not only might he pop, but he'll also be eternally loyal to a franchise that gave him that shot and believed in him. That guy will go through the wall for his team, and won't act like a mercenary (like so many recent players we traded away).

Isn't that basically what Vegas did starting with the expansion draft? I like the strategy.
Isbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:34 PM   #38
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Also why im not willing to say to much on the supposed throw in for Hanifin. I think conroy is the pro scout we have been missing or is listening to the guys who are.
The team did hire three new pro scouts last summer: Kerry Huffman, Brad Richardson, and Billy Powers. So far, it looks like money well spent.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:37 PM   #39
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The team did hire three new pro scouts last summer: Kerry Huffman, Brad Richardson, and Billy Powers. So far, it looks like money well spent.
THAT Kerry Huffman and THAT Brad Richardson??? I know it’s not THAT Billy Powers (RIP)
Old 03-07-2024, 10:52 PM   #40
mogg
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Not a lot of guys can rip it from distance like that.
mogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good