Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #3201
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #3202
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, its almost as though Canada stole that right out of the Mexican 'Time-Wasting' playbook, they do this and worse routinely...usually when they're winning and trying to see a game out. Usually chuckling at the frustration of their opponents.

Its not as much fun when that shoe is on the other foot...

Thats a shame. But not really.

What Mexico should do is appeal to FIFA and blame Team Canada for 'Cultural Appropriation.'

"Whining and diving and keeping the ball and wasting time and frustrating the opponent is what WE do! They cant take that from us!! What will they steal from Mexico next? Homophobic chants? Then they'll come for the Sombreros!"

Zero sympathy from me.

Canada is learning that to come out of CONCACAF you not only have to play the game...you have to 'Play the Game.'

Hence...Edmonton in November.
Personally, I wish they’d move to get this out of the game. It’s easy to do; stop the clock when guys are “hurt” and things like that and guys will stop rolling around to kill the clock. It’s either infuriating or embarrassing, depending on which side you’re on.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:33 AM   #3203
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Personally, I wish they’d move to get this out of the game. It’s easy to do; stop the clock when guys are “hurt” and things like that and guys will stop rolling around to kill the clock. It’s either infuriating or embarrassing, depending on which side you’re on.
Take it away now that we are finally the team that typically is trying to kill off the game with the lead?

This is like Alberta voting to get rid of equalization in the midst of a local economic collapse.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #3204
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
That would make soccer fair and no fun!

The refs needs to add more time or more yellow cards. Herdman got a yellow card last night for the Borjan fake injury so we may not see it again.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #3205
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That would make soccer fair and no fun!

The refs needs to add more time or more yellow cards. Herdman got a yellow card last night for the Borjan fake injury so we may not see it again.
I think the yellow was because the coaches were arguing with each other instead of the fake injury. The Mexico coach got one as well.

Also what is the point of a ref yellow carding a coach?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #3206
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1461031017100238852
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #3207
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I think the yellow was because the coaches were arguing with each other instead of the fake injury. The Mexico coach got one as well.

Also what is the point of a ref yellow carding a coach?
A coach can also get ejected or suspended. I think Canada without Herdman on the sidelines would suffer

Old 11-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #3208
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
CSA has been in bed with the Forge and Bob Young for years now, so this move is not a surprise at all.

Remember the 4 months it took for the CSA to investigate after racist comments made by the Forge coach against Cavalry players?

The overturn of the red card given to Forge in the first game of the Finals, but not Cavalry's red card?

Last edited by browna; 11-17-2021 at 12:52 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #3209
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand the hard-on that they seem to have for Hamilton.
As opposed to Edmonton?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #3210
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver BC deserves to host after the disaster that is unfolding there.

The flooding is also a big reason.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #3211
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
A coach can also get ejected or suspended. I think Canada without Herdman on the sidelines would suffer
I recall Coach Holger Osieck getting red carded near the end of the 2000 Gold Cup Final wheen Canada won over Colombia. That was pretty comical IIRC, HErdman getting ejected would be very bad for sure.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #3212
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1461028383316271106
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #3213
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

We were loud in supporters section last night. I might not get my voice back before the Cavs game Saturday.

It was incredible when the players came over after the game and celebrated in front of us. The thunder clap they got going was impressive.

What a night!
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 05:22 PM   #3214
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't watch much soccer but don't they add more time to the end of the half when injuries happen? I thought the supposed fake injury by the Canadian goalie was more to give the team a breather and allow them to change tactics. So stopping the clock would not matter if that's the case.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:17 PM   #3215
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
this might be the craziest stat yet, with respect to their run
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 07:20 PM   #3216
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I don't watch much soccer but don't they add more time to the end of the half when injuries happen? I thought the supposed fake injury by the Canadian goalie was more to give the team a breather and allow them to change tactics. So stopping the clock would not matter if that's the case.
The ref never adds enough. Yesterday I watched Cameroon and Cote D'Ivoire and Cameroon up 1-0 must have wasted 20 minutes of a 45 minute 2nd half and the ref added 2.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #3217
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You'll often see the team chasing gesticulating with the referee when the opposing players feign cramp late in matches. As with the referee last night, you'll see the official pointing at their watch and promising to add time on to make it up, but it seldom happens. Going down "injured" stops the other team's momentum, and Mexico had us on the ropes last night at the end. I couldn't believe they missed their big chance at equalizing and I'm still trying to figure out how it didn't go in.

You'll often see "smaller" teams do things like take their time putting the ball back in play whenever they have a throw-in, goal kick, corner, free kick, especially when the score line suits them. What is even more infuriating for the team that needs to score is when the smaller teams do things like dribble the ball into the corners to waste time, or take turns making small fouls when they turn the ball over to avoid getting yellow cards, while at the same time stopping play and allowing more players to get back in the space between the ball and their own goal. The amount of time wasted by doing these things always exceeds the amount of time a referee will add onto the end of the match, and that's why players do it.

Herdman has brought a proper mentality to the team where they aren't afraid to delve into the "dark arts" of football. All the best teams do it. Go back and watch Spain when they were winning everything from 2008-2012, they had players so good with the ball at their feet that they could effectively "kill" the game with twenty minutes to go just by maintaining possession in an opposition's corner.

Borjan impressed me the most of any player yesterday, although Adekugbe was the best player on the pitch by a mile. Borjan brought the experience and level-headedness which has been sorely lacking over the past couple of decades. When Mexico tried starting something at the end of the match, it looked to me like he was basically pushing the Canadian players very strongly in the chest to get them to back off and avoid any kind of suspension for future matches. You just can't buy that kind of experience.

If you're old enough to remember when clearing the puck over the glass didn't result in a penalty, you might be better able to comprehend what I'm getting at here. Is it within the laws of the game? Sure. Is it fair? No, but being fair and honest hasn't gotten the male team very far over the last thirty-five years, so most fans will take it if it means they're winning.
MegaErtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #3218
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Extra time, as it were, yes, is played after 45 and then 90 minutes. But the extra time is an approximation, and it's not based on stopping of the watch for every time the ball go out, or foul committed, or "injury" whether the training staff run on the field or not.

So the Borjan "injury" took probably 2 minutes off the clock. Ball going out, other Canadian and Mexican players taking on the field grabbing their ankles, taking 20 to 40 seconds, time for players to reset after the Canada or Mexico goal etc etc well exceeded the 5 minutes of extra time played to supposedly make up for it.

That's why that stuff happens if a Canadian player going down with a non existent injury for 1 minutes, if it takes 20 seconds off the actual playing time on the refs watch, it's done its job.

I don't mind Canada playing these tricks during qualifying, they've been dealing with it since the dawn of soccer and this is the first time it has been as blatant as it has for the CMNT from what I recall, but if they could cut it back come Qatar (when they go up 3-0 on France) that'd make me feel a bit better.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:47 PM   #3219
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

The refs are scared to call simulation. That's the root of this.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #3220
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460982085070450693
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote