Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #61
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

StarTalk and This American Life always make my Monday mornings.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #62
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

This American Life cab be a fantastic podcast. Here is the transcript for the 500th "best of" episode. A couple of excerpts were very moving - ex. "Mama, I'm Sorry".

This part is a father explaining the message of Jesus and MLK to his four year old daughter:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...500/transcript

And I said, well, as it happens, that's Martin Luther King. And he's why you're not in school today, because we're celebrating his birthday. This is the day we celebrate his life.

And she said, so who was he? I said, well, he was a preacher. And she looks up at me and goes, (EXCITEDLY) for Jesus?

And I said, yeah, yeah, actually he was. But there was another thing that he was really famous for, which is that he had a message. And you're trying to say this to a four-year-old. It's very-- this is the first time they ever hear anything, so you just very careful about how you phrase everything.

So I said, you know, well, yeah, he was a preacher, and he had a message. And she said, what was his message? And I said, well, he said that you should treat everybody the same, no matter what they look like. And she thought about that for a minute. And she said, well, that's what Jesus said.

And I said, yeah, I guess it is. I never thought of it that way, but yeah. And that is sort of like "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." And she thought for a minute and looked up at me and said, did they kill him too?

"The Ballad Of Peter Pumpkinhead" [XTC]

Peter Pumpkinhead came to town
Spreading wisdom and cash around
Fed the starving and housed the poor
Showed the vatican what gold's for
But he made too many enemies
Of the people who would keep us on our knees
Hooray for Peter Pumpkin
Who'll pray for Peter Pumpkinhead?
Oh my!
Peter Pumpkinhead pulled them all
Emptied churches and shopping malls
Where he spoke, it would raise the roof
Peter Pumpkinhead told the truth
But he made too many enemies...
Peter Pumpkinhead put to shame
Governments who would slur his name
Plots and sex scandals failed outright
Peter merely said
Any kind of love is alright
Peter Pumpkinhead was too good
Had him nailed to a chunk of wood
He died grinning on live TV
Hanging there he looked a lot like you
And an awful lot like me!
Hooray for Peter Pumpkin
Who'll pray for Peter Pumpkin
Hooray for Peter Pumpkinhead
Oh my oh my oh!
Doesn't it make you want to cry oh?

Last edited by troutman; 07-18-2013 at 09:46 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #63
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crit Juice! ha ha ha it's so fun.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #64
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Started listening to comedian Brian Posehn's weekly show Nerd Poker. Nerd Poker is a weekly one hour podcast where Brian and some friends play Dungeons and Dragons.

Despite never playing Dungeons and Dragons, despite never having a desire to play I'm in love with this podcast. It's really funny, it's interesting to follow the story as it goes along and just fun overall. Was recommend by a friend and put it off for over a month but started at episode one and cruised through several episodes. Really enjoyable.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #65
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Posehn is writing Deadpool for Marvel now, and it is possibly the funniest and smartest series going.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #66
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just had a friend recommend Hardcore History. I am almost 20 hours deep already.

Very good presenter with lots of history to share and learn from.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #67
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never been one to listen to podcasts but lately my friend has gotten me hooked on one of Kevin Smith's podcasts, "Fatman on Batman." He gets some very cool guests to join him on the show. It's neat hearing what Mark Hamill, Kevin Conroy, Bruce Timm etc. have to share about their experiences with the franchise.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #68
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Just had a friend recommend Hardcore History. I am almost 20 hours deep already.

Very good presenter with lots of history to share and learn from.
Have you heard the series about the Khans yet? I have recommended that series to 5 people and all off them listened to the full 12 hours. It is so good.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #69
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Due to Paul Scheer and June Diane Raphael having a baby and general business it seems How Did This Get Made is going to only one new actual episode a month now. Damn Damn Damn. We'll get a mini episode, week break, real episode, then week break.

The chemistry between those two and Jason Mantzoukas is really what makes the show.

New episode today though! No Holds Barred, the Hulk Hogan classic. Looks like the episode is almost two hours long. If they continue with only one a month hopefully that is the new norm.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #70
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Norm MacDonald Live is back! You can find it on itunes or youtube once again. Norm stopped podcasting almost a year ago with no explanation but he's back and he looks better than I've seen him in years. There was rumours that he had some ongoing health issues. Anyway, welcome back Norm!

SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #71
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Any recommendations for Canadian political discussion podcasts? I listen to The House but I've become tired of politicians basically being politicians and deflecting questions. I enjoy the At Issue panel on The National, so something more like that would be awesome.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #72
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Uhh Yeah Dude - Comedic look at random events in the US. Pretty hilarious stuff. Hosted by Jonathan Larroquette and Seth Romatelli.

The Champs - Hosted by Neal Brennan and Moshe Kasher. They usually interview comedians, writers, and producers.

Juan Epstein - If you like rap music, especially classic rap, this is the podcast for you. It's hosted by Peter Rosenberg and Cipha Sounds from Hot 97 in NY. They get great guests and some amazing stories.

Monday Morning Podcast - hosted by Bill Burr. This has already been mentioned in the thread but definitely worth checking out if you haven't already done so.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #73
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the Jay & Dan podcsst. I've learned so much about public toilets, and other general poop-related factoids.

Taggert & Schrags are beauties too. They both crack me up every week.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #74
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Have you guys heard the American Life spinoff podcast called Serial?

http://serialpodcast.org/

Quote:
In 1999, Hae Min Lee, a senior at Woodlawn High School in Maryland, went missing. When her body was found a month later, Adnan Syed, her ex-boyfriend, was arrested and convicted of strangling her.

Episode one of “Serial,” begins with a prepaid call from an inmate at a Maryland correctional facility. It’s Adnan, 15 years after Hae went missing. He is set to spend the rest of his life in prison for a crime he claims he did not commit.
CBC Interview with the creators

http://www.cbc.ca/q/popupaudio.html?clipIds=2549845659

What do you guys think? I got some thoughts after listening to the first three episodes.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #75
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Your Favorite Podcast(s)

I just heard about Serial last week. Going to check it out.

Roosterteeth is pretty good.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #76
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

How has Welcome to Night Vale not been mentioned yet?? Even if you don't like the humor or weirdness, Cecil Baldwin's voice alone makes it worth listening to.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...536258179?mt=2
http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/comm...-to-night-vale

For comics, the best thing going is Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men. Two industry members, and more importantly fans, break down the X-Men from the first issue in 1963 moving forward. 26 episodes in, they're up to the early 80s Uncanny X-Men and New Mutants series. You have to check this out if you're an X-Men fan.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...862258051?mt=2
http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/rach...plain-the-xmen
http://www.rachelandmiles.com/xmen/?p=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelandmiles.com
As long-time X-readers, we also recognize that the series can be–well, “daunting” is the nice word. Time travel paradoxes? The X-Men created a new splinter universe in the seconds it took you to read this sentence. Clones? Get ‘em by the dozen. Retcons? Honey, let me tell you about something called the Phoenix Force.
We’ve been explaining the X-Men informally for years–to our friends and family, to the Internet, and, occasionally, to patient strangers on the street. Now, we’re making it official, with Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men: a weekly-or-so podcast dedicated to unpacking the weird, wonderful world of our favorite superhero soap opera for newcomers and die-hard fans alike.

Daunted by complex continuity? Can’t tell a mutate from a warpie? We are here for you. We have trained for this responsibility for decades. We have the backissues, the calluses, and a really detailed map of the Summers family tree.
A Podcast of Ice and Fire was really good until they got too bitchy about Game of Thrones.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 10-13-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #77
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
What do you guys think? I got some thoughts after listening to the first three episodes.
I have been drawn into it, to be honest. I listen to This American Life occasionally, and enjoy it most of the time. And Serial really just takes the long-form podcast idea and builds on it, and let's be honest - who doesn't like a good murder mystery? The fact that it is all true really makes it gripping.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #78
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I have been drawn into it, to be honest. I listen to This American Life occasionally, and enjoy it most of the time. And Serial really just takes the long-form podcast idea and builds on it, and let's be honest - who doesn't like a good murder mystery? The fact that it is all true really makes it gripping.
Any thoughts? I think he did it. Episode One hinted at blackmail so there's that. But he was possessive, annoying, always paging her. There's the whole rebelling against his family too. And the fact that he keeps saying that that day (Jan 13, 1999) was just any other day, but he asked her for a ride home which makes it abnormal. He'd never do that normally, he has his own car.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #79
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Hardcore History is truly excellent! Thanks!
Old 11-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #80
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came to post about Serial. So compelling and can't wait to see how or if it is resolved at the end. I am only on episode 3 but would love to discuss it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Have you guys heard the American Life spinoff podcast called Serial?

http://serialpodcast.org/

CBC Interview with the creators

http://www.cbc.ca/q/popupaudio.html?clipIds=2549845659

Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote