Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Canada Post Problems

Someone I know is having great difficulty with Canada Post not giving them their mail. I've copied the relevant post and was hoping maybe the great CP brain-trust might be able to help. Thank you in advance!

Quote:
Ongoing drama with Marda Loop retail location of canada post still not listening to Canada Post's decisions on my mail, causing a big fight and a huge angry melt down. Being told to shut my mouth because I'm angry the manager is on the phone TRYING to find a way to not give me my mail regardless of what CP corp told him TWICE. Not joking. (friend) was with me. As usual women arent believed. He even said 'I wouldn't have believed you if I hadn't stood right there and listened to it'.

Its that insane.

The lady and the manager now have straight up said they refuse in the future to give me my mail.

Why all this fuss?

Canada post requires proof of residency for a name that isn't your own, sent to that address. I provided that. THEY (the retail location) are demanding i show proof of owning the company, which is not required exactly because there are so many tiny businesses that aren't registered by name, so not having their business registered to one specific residency.

Yet the retail outlet demanded a business card, once saying it also had to have the address on it. Once just to show i own that company. Bs. Not needed. They have been told that twice. And now hen i come in I hear her tell him "shes here now", arguing with the owner and i asked "is he trying to stop me from getting my package?"

"yes"

I'd never print business cards with my home address and real name and give that out to strangers.

####ing retail outlets.

Its longer and worse than all this.

The lady then was so awful this picture is what happened to me. Heart pounding so hard i thought I'd be sick or have an actual heart attack. I really don't know what to do. How is someone supposed to be calm and quiet and "just take it" when being screamed at and lied to and spending multiple work days dealing with this?!?!

When Canada post investigators tell me they have called and its ok now, to go get my mail, and having it refused to be given to me with my having the required documents and then some, being yelled at and told to shut my mouth and stop beaking off when i calmly say "canada post called and told you what documents i need, and these are them. I have a right to get my mail".

This is such bs.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.

Last edited by Traditional_Ale; 02-25-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does she have her articles of incorporation? Bring that and picture ID.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Does she have her articles of incorporation? Bring that and picture ID.

Based on my interpretation of her story as presented, I don't think the company is registered, even as a numbered company.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Something seems missing from the story, but I have witnessed people get pretty upset they can't pick up someone else's parcel before...
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Well I'd just keep calling whoever told them they could go get their mail and have them contact the outlet.

And a long term fix might be to register a trade name.. it's not a separate legal entity or anything, but it does give some legal connection between an individual and the business name they're operating as.

https://www.alberta.ca/register-business-name.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #6
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had issues with Canada Post refusing to give me my parcel because the sender misspelled my name. They put Anne instead of Anna.

The rules say anyone who lives at that address, with ID to prove it, and who shows up with delivery notice can pick up the parcel.

But at this particular retail postal outlet, they were living in their own little fiefdom (Forest Lawn, at the Shoppers, if you’re interested) and making up their own rules. Went on for weeks. Kept looking at my ID and saying I wasn’t the person named on the package. Absolutely, categorically refused to look at my delivery notice. I dearly wanted to throttle the hateful little woman behind the counter. Calls to Canada Post supervisors were an extra layer of insult heaped on top. “No more talking from you. You have to shut up now.” Is what I was told.

I was never able to get my parcel. They simply would not release it. It went back to sender, who reshipped it with my name corrected.

...I also had it shipped to a different postal outlet. I told them what happened, and they were astonished. So now I use a different postal outlet, with less convenient hours because the people there are decent, and I don’t ever want to have to see that tiny little bundle of spite that is the postal agent at Forest Lawn again.

Last edited by annasuave; 02-25-2019 at 06:30 PM.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:03 PM   #7
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yet the retail outlet demanded a business card, once saying it also had to have the address on it. Once just to show i own that company. Bs. Not needed. They have been told that twice. And now hen i come in I hear her tell him "shes here now", arguing with the owner and i asked "is he trying to stop me from getting my package?"

"yes"

I'd never print business cards with my home address and real name and give that out to strangers.

this doesn't make any sense to me. why doesn't she just go to staples, buy some card stock and print some cards if that fixes everything?

what's the deal about 'no one can know my name and address'? phone books contain all that info (gahhh... just showed my age there! ha! sub in 'online directories' for phone books).

this entire thing just seems 'off'. i'd like to hear the other side of the story. (what is the saying.... there are two sides to every story and the truth can usually be found around the middle)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like this person is making way more difficult then it needs to be. Sure the CP location are being idiots but take the 2 minutes to do what they asked to get your mail and move on with your life.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
this doesn't make any sense to me. why doesn't she just go to staples, buy some card stock and print some cards if that fixes everything?

what's the deal about 'no one can know my name and address'? phone books contain all that info (gahhh... just showed my age there! ha! sub in 'online directories' for phone books).

this entire thing just seems 'off'. i'd like to hear the other side of the story. (what is the saying.... there are two sides to every story and the truth can usually be found around the middle)
As annoying as it is, this is the right solution. It's quite amazing how "trust worthy" someone becomes once ink has been applied to paper.

A few years ago we were opening a community bank account for our non-profit industry group, one of the requirements from the bank was that we have an official letter head.

So I mocked one up in about 10 minutes, one of the other volunteers printed it out and brought it to the bank when opening the account. Literally only one copy of that "official" letterhead exist, and it's at the bank on our file.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #10
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The retail postal outlets are run by Shopppers, 7-11, etc. Not Canada Post. They're typically paid #### and are asked to deal with peoples most important documentation..so it's hardly a surprise this stuff happens.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might sound kinda dumb... but what about a letter of authorization for "someone else" to pick up the package/item for you? I believe you can get either the sender or receiver to fill in the letter of authorization. A copy of the form is below, but I believe you can make up your own as long as the required details are included in the letter.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/...ubcat=tracking

If it's a business, fill in the business name and authorize "someone" (ie: you) who resides at the same address to grab it. Worst case scenario, you authorize someone to pick it up for you instead as long as they have an authorization letter, their own ID and the slip.

I've literally written a letter on paper before along the lines of:

To whom it may concern:

I am DoubleF of Calgary address. I authorize family member or friend of whatever legal name to pick up my address on my behalf.

Thank you.

*DoubleF signature*

And texted it to my house sitter to grab the package before the package was returned to sender. It worked, but possibly shouldn't have because they didn't leave a copy of that letter at the post office (they did look at the pic of the letter though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post

I agree, if all else failed in the OP's scenario, it's not hard to get 50 business cards for $8-10 at Vistaprint to solve things. I don't know if it's cheaper than that at Staples, but it might look slightly more professional if using a business card template.

I agree it seems off. It seems like the individual is refusing to follow regular protocol in releasing a package to someone who cannot produce ID that matches the receiver information, but isn't interested in following alternative protocols to have the package released either. The system may seem annoying, but it's in place to ensure that someone doesn't steal your package. There are others who probably bend the rules because it's easy to assume that the person with the slip is the actual person who is supposed to receive the package, but it's technically against the rules. Otherwise, people who steal amazon packages can steal slips and grab those packages too by claiming they're the owner of said "business".

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
I had issues with Canada Post refusing to give me my parcel because the sender misspelled my name. They put Anne instead of Anna.

The rules say anyone who lives at that address, with ID to prove it, and who shows up with delivery notice can pick up the parcel.

But at this particular retail postal outlet, they were living in their own little fiefdom (Forest Lawn, at the Shoppers, if you’re interested) and making up their own rules. Went on for weeks. Kept looking at my ID and saying I wasn’t the person named on the package. Absolutely, categorically refused to look at my delivery notice. I dearly wanted to throttle the hateful little woman behind the counter. Calls to Canada Post supervisors were an extra layer of insult heaped on top. “No more talking from you. You have to shut up now.” Is what I was told.

I was never able to get my parcel. They simply would not release it. It went back to sender, who reshipped it with my name corrected.

...I also had it shipped to a different postal outlet. I told them what happened, and they were astonished. So now I use a different postal outlet, with less convenient hours because the people there are decent, and I don’t ever want to have to see that tiny little bundle of spite that is the postal agent at Forest Lawn again.
Damn, that legitimately sucks to hear. I would have filled in the authorization letter to have Anne release the package to Anna. I would have also considered asking the sender to send an email with the package info (ie: Sender name/address + receiver name/address and tracking number) to authorize "the correct you" and a friend/family member to pick up the letter on top of the original "incorrect you". If the postal outlet is still being a jerk about you showing up because they recognize you, then get the alternate person to pick it up. Your story reminds me of the scene in American Gods where Shadow Moon is reminded to not piss off the ticketing agent or they'd make life hell for him. Sorry to hear that.

I'm lucky though. My postal outlet lady has once released a package to me with a completely botched and incorrect spelling of my name. She'd seen me a few times before and said I technically needed to get the sender to update the info on the package, but since my name is so unique, she released it and told me if someone else with the actual name printed showed up to complain someone stole their parcel, she'd never release another package to me without my legal name again (ie: Alex instead of Alexander).

I was also freaking out about this a few weeks ago when I was supposed to pick up an envelope with my newborn son's passport, but it seems like there are certain items that can legitimately be marked to be released to anyone at a certain address. I had my son's birth certificate at the ready to show it was supposed to be his and he's less than a year old so couldn't fill in a letter of authorization, but the postal outlet lady handed me the envelope after confirming my address, no questions asked.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #12
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just had business cards printed for my company and I did indeed use my real name. Am I doing it wrong??
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #13
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Seems like a lot of drama that could have been solved by printing some business cards on a home printer and card stock for a few dollars.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote