Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #21
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

40 years ago... Dude had bad thoughts and intentions... Who the heck cares...

Last night, I was on the throne for 12 minutes
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #22
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #23
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes I think celebrities share way too much information.

Why not just avoid the inevitable backlash and not say anything.

In this case it is not like he ever has to worrry about working again, so maybe he wanted an epic send off.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:40 PM   #24
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

#fakenews
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #25
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Congrats white out, you fought the exposure of a dumb POV by creating a thread about it in which, best scenario, everyone goes “I agree” and worst case scenario you just end up trolling people into sharing that same POV here for arguments sake.
So like 95 per cent of the posts in the Orange is the new POTUS thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
You know things have gone to far when something that's factually accurate can't be used as a description lest it offend... someone...? ####, I can't keep track.
That's the essence of political correctness, though, isn't it? We know people are racist. We know angry white guys have often said things like Neeson said. You just can't say it, even in the spirit of guilt and contrition.

Black men will tell you white women often cross the street to avoid them.

A white woman who denies that happens will be (rightfully) called out and corrected.

However, a white women who admits that she has crossed the street to avoid a black man, even if she's saying it to acknowledge here own racism, will be publicly excoriated and shamed. Her reputation and perhaps livelihood destroyed.

So the only good choice is to not say the truth.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #26
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
He told the story now, for no real good reason. Why even bring the race element into it? It seems like a completely unforced error to say he looked for weeks for a black bastard to kill. He said he learned from his thirst for revenge was wrong, but didn't say he learned from blaming a whole race for one guy's actions.
My understanding is he is on a media tour for his new movie in which he portrays a character that experiences something similar. I think he was sharing the story to show how he identified with the character. Hopefully I am not mis-remembering.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #27
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
My understanding is he is on a media tour for his new movie in which he portrays a character that experiences something similar. I think he was sharing the story to show how he identified with the character. Hopefully I am not mis-remembering.
that was his intention.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #28
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I found this interesting.

Have a watch.

MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #29
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He could have easily told the story without saying he wanted to kill any black bastard he could find just because a black guy raped his friend. My understanding is the movie was about a guy seeking vengeance not about a guy blaming a whole race for one person's act.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
He could have easily told the story without saying he wanted to kill any black bastard he could find just because a black guy raped his friend. My understanding is the movie was about a guy seeking vengeance not about a guy blaming a whole race for one person's act.
His point was that the mindset he had was sick/not fair/horrible, and that he sought help and changed it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #31
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Remember when Liam Neeson was in the news because a horse remembered him?

Simpler times....
Old 02-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #32
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
But it would miss the point of being true and his upbringing. Remember, he's not American. It was different in Northern Ireland at the time.

I think what a lot of people are missing about Neeson’s comments is the social context of where and when he grew up. The man went through this experience in a place (Ulster) where violent sectarian killings based on the crimes of your ‘group’ had become normalized. From the 70s right through to the late 90s the concept of revenge killings based on immutable characteristics was accepted and endorsed by large sections of his society.

I’m not saying that it makes what he was feeling okay, and Neeson clearly isn’t either, but it does help to explain why his reaction was so violent against Blacks as a group.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #33
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Mid 20's guy, fueled by rage, and possibly alcohol (I think I heard somewhere once that the Irish liked to drink), hellbent on retribution for a deplorable crime committed against a friend, in extremely racist Northern Ireland, has racist thoughts but doesn't act on them, and seeks help as he doesn't think he should be acting this way.

Next on the today show, homeless man thought about stealing an apple from a grocery store, but decided to beg for money to buy one instead, she he be hung, or quartered?
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #34
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
But it would miss the point of being true and his upbringing. Remember, he's not American. It was different in Northern Ireland at the time.

I think what a lot of people are missing about Neeson’s comments is the social context of where and when he grew up. The man went through this experience in a place (Ulster) where violent sectarian killings based on the crimes of your ‘group’ had become normalized. From the 70s right through to the late 90s the concept of revenge killings based on immutable characteristics was accepted and endorsed by large sections of his society.

I’m not saying that it makes what he was feeling okay, and Neeson clearly isn’t either, but it does help to explain why his reaction was so violent against Blacks as a group.
The thread started out saying his thoughts at the time weren't racist and linked to a cbc article that oddly altered his quotes to make him look like he wasn't being racist. His story was about going out looking to act on his thirst for racist vengeance. I guess the disconnect for me is that he only sought help, regretted and apologized for the vengeance and violent thoughts, no mention of apologizing for the racist thoughts. But, whatever, I'm not boycotting his movies, or anything (although his same shtick is getting a bit tiresome). I just see how some people could be offended over how he's handled this whole thing.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #35
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

To quote the right...

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #36
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
To quote the right...

It's pronounced "Ber-der"
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #37
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
I found this interesting.

Have a watch.

Completely agree.

Here's someone openly admitting to having the wrong idea before and advocating for having the ability to change (even in harsh circumstance in the middle of a social structure much more divided than our own), and he's being slammed for it.

It's bollocks.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #38
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
Remember when Liam Neeson was in the news because a horse remembered him?

Simpler times....
What does Sarah Jessica Parker have to do with this?

I'll see myself out.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #39
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

" 'And the Oscar goes to: Liam Neesons! N***a's face was changing!' Now how hard was that?!?"

-Jordan Peele, Academy Award winning black guy.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #40
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
to me that is a funny question to ask on a revenge movie - i mean it is a revenge movie, similar to many other liam neeson. these days you go to a liam neeson movie to see a high body count. you don't go expecting to solve the meaning of life.....

but i guess as an entertainment reporter, you need to ask something on the presser