Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #41
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
They should raise his sentence by 5000%.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #42
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does he only get 7 years, while the guy who defrauded people at that music festival received a 10 year sentence? Is there any kind of consistency?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How does he only get 7 years, while the guy who defrauded people at that music festival received a 10 year sentence? Is there any kind of consistency?
They've adopted NHL-style justice.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #44
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #45
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Billy McFarland hasn't even received a sentence yet. He faces up to ten years after a plea deal.

Shkreli faced up to 25 years, the prosecutor was asking for 15 and he was sentenced to 7 by the judge.

For what it's worth, they also weren't even charged for the same thing, McFarland was charged for multiple counts of wire fraud, Shkreli was found guilty of securities fraud and conspiracy. McFarland defrauded investors over 25M, Shkreli is alleged to have defrauded under 10M, I believe.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 03-09-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #46
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Judge probably gets a new Bentley, don't be shocked if he gets out for "good behavior" in 3 years and the Warden gets a new car too.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #47
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People don’t understand that they have to weigh in the amount of evidence and what they can actually prove. Yes everyone thinks he’s a dick. But his sentence would reflect the actual severity of the crime on hand. Comments like this make me glad that professionals who follow the guidelines of the justice system are in control and not the court of public opinion, wether this guy is an asshat or not.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #48
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
People don’t understand that they have to weigh in the amount of evidence and what they can actually prove. Yes everyone thinks he’s a dick. But his sentence would reflect the actual severity of the crime on hand. Comments like this make me glad that professionals who follow the guidelines of the justice system are in control and not the court of public opinion, wether this guy is an asshat or not.
OJ got a much more severe sentence cause he's OJ. I think sentencing is where bias comes in.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #49
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
OJ got a much more severe sentence cause he's OJ. I think sentencing is where bias comes in.
I can’t agree or disagree with that statement because I don’t know enough facts about the evidence in that case or the judges ruling. And sometimes I wish others held that same opinion.

Always makes me cringe when I read people who say well person z got x years for something even worse how did he only get x???

There’s so many factors that play into these kinds of things that people spend decades working to be in a position to hand down a sentence. And then people who spent 5 minutes reading an article feel somehow they know what the right choice was.

Last edited by Patek23; 03-11-2018 at 07:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have little sympathy for this clown, he's clearly got some narcissistic disorder.

Now I fully expect that someone is going to slip him a err pill in the middle of the night.

Or someone is going to growl "Take two of these and I'll be back in the morning"

However I think he'll probably go to a minimum security prison where his job is to rake the sand traps on public golf courses anyways.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #51
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Always makes me cringe when I read people who say well person z got x years for something even worse how did he only get x???
That's not at all what I was suggesting. They're totally different cases but it demonstrates that in the USA at least the evidentiary case is not the only consideration in sentencing.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #52
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently not a single person who invested in his hedge fund lost money. In fact, they all made money through the fund.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #53
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
That's not at all what I was suggesting. They're totally different cases but it demonstrates that in the USA at least the evidentiary case is not the only consideration in sentencing.
For sure, like I said I don’t know enough to comment. Wasn’t meaning you with what I said.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #54
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Apparently not a single person who invested in his hedge fund lost money. In fact, they all made money through the fund.

Isn’t that how a Ponzi scheme is supposed to work?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #55
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Isn’t that how a Ponzi scheme is supposed to work?
No, thats how a normal Hedge Fund is supposed to work.

In Ponzi schemes you need suckers who lose everything.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #56
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Yeah, looking at just what they were actually charged with (i.e., not the legal drug price increase), it's a lot easier to see Billy McFarland as the bigger jerk. He lost 26M for investors but also screwed countless others. A lot of ######s simply laughed at the "rich kids of instagram getting screwed" narrative, but there were a lot of young people who saved up and spent all they had on this one of a lifetime trip, others would have used up all their vacation days, and what they got for it was a ham sandwhich.

On the other end, the "victims" of Shreklli went on to testify during the trial that investing with him was the greatest thing they did in their life.

Both committed fraud, one just happened to work out a lot better in the end.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #57
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah bump

Under investigation for running his pharmacy company from prison using a cellphone

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1QP2CB

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #58
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

You need a small cell phone for that move, you don't want to be shoving anything over 2inches wide into your body
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #59
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Speak for yourself.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #60
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Speak for yourself.
I'll remember that when I need a laptop brought in, the usual half a deck of smokes fee I assume
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote