Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #381
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
I'm glad I have an injury on my hip flexor and IT band, I tried the treadmills at Shane Homes YMCA and they are brutal (the track is also bad and frustrating to use during peak hours). I'm spoiled by the treadmills at Orange Theory.

Can't wait for the weather to improve to a more reasonable temperature.

What would be the safest way to add mileage on a weekly basis? I can run 16-19 kms a week but I would like to up that to 25-27 kms a week.
You typically don't want to add more than 10% to your base each week. Start there and see how you feel, continue building each week until you get to where you want to be.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #382
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somewhat related question: has anyone ever had a friend ship them some energy gels? I really like the TORQ gels, but due to the fine Canadian bureaucracy, they are no longer imported into Canada. However, you buy them online direct from TORQ in the US and UK. Is there anything preventing me from having a friend buy some and pop them in the mail to me?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:46 PM   #383
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Somewhat related question: has anyone ever had a friend ship them some energy gels? I really like the TORQ gels, but due to the fine Canadian bureaucracy, they are no longer imported into Canada. However, you buy them online direct from TORQ in the US and UK. Is there anything preventing me from having a friend buy some and pop them in the mail to me?
There should be no issue at all. My uncle, who lives in Honolulu, sends me Autumn's Gold bars all the time which are not available in Canada.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #384
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, so I've quit smoking again for what feels like the millionth time. I've heard from a couple other people running helped them stay quit so I'm considering trying it. Lungs still clearing a bit but got a clean bill of health from Doctor on recent physical so I'm game to try. Got a decent game plan to work myself into it.

Looking for some advice on shoes. Right now I only have a pair of sketchers which I've been told aren't suitable. I don't want the best but don't want garbage either.

Any suggestions?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #385
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best thing is to go to a running store so they can watch you walk and let you know what type of shoes you should buy, and then get something in your price range.

Now that I say that, I wouldn't be surprised if watching you walk to determine shoe type is a bit of a junk science, but I don't know. I buy my shoes at The Running Room.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #386
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard the US army was doing studies on the type of analysis these running shoes were doing, foot shape, running stride, etc. and more or less said it was not worth the effort, time and money. This is an organization that has an unlimited budget so them saying it wasn't worth the money was telling.

I think for a beginner running, just getting something you're comfortable wearing is the idea. If that's your pair of sketchers, that's fine.

One thing I do recommend is having two pair of shoes if you are running on back-to-back days you don't want to wear the same pair. Give it some time to reshape and it won't wear out as fast.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #387
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, running room, keep forgetting about them. There is one in Glenmore Landing which is really close to my place. I'll drop by and see what they suggest.

I'm assuming $100 should get me something to start with.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #388
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default CP running thread

I like to support local businesses, and have had great experiences with Strides (both Marda Loop as well as Canyon Meadows locations). You should probably budget closer to $160-180 for a decent pair of road shoes.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #389
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I heard the US army was doing studies on the type of analysis these running shoes were doing, foot shape, running stride, etc. and more or less said it was not worth the effort, time and money. This is an organization that has an unlimited budget so them saying it wasn't worth the money was telling.

I think for a beginner running, just getting something you're comfortable wearing is the idea. If that's your pair of sketchers, that's fine.

One thing I do recommend is having two pair of shoes if you are running on back-to-back days you don't want to wear the same pair. Give it some time to reshape and it won't wear out as fast.
Yay someone else has mentioned it! (Or maybe it was from me posting the study earlier in the thread?)

Pick shoes based on comfort. Never let someone tell you what shoe you need to run in. It doesn't matter if you have "flat feet" (your arches are supposed to collapse for force absorption) because your injury rate will be higher in a shoe someone else picks. Walk in them, jog in them (some stores have a treadmill for that or at the very least let you return them if they aren't dirty). Maybe they can guide you to a shoe but always pick the most comfortable pair.

Try couch to 5k or a similar walk/jog program. Never start to quickly. It should take 6 weeks for you to get up to running 20 minutes without walking. 90% of the running injuries I see are 'too much too fast'

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 04:14 PM   #390
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might have been you I heard it from.

Here's an article:

https://www.army.mil/article/42842/u...is_sports_myth

Quote:
"We found no scientific basis for choosing running shoes based on foot type," said Bruce Jones, M.D., injury prevention program manager at U.S. Army Public Health Command (Provisional), Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md. "Our findings have surprised not just military decision-makers -- many of whom run to stay fit -- but runners in general."

Popular running and sports medicine literature recommends that people with high arches should choose cushioning shoes, those with normal arches should choose stability shoes, and those with flat feet should choose motion-control shoes, Jones explained. The literature says that such shoes will compensate for the way these foot types strike the ground during running and lessen injuries to the legs and feet.

"This seemed to many of us to make sense," said Jones, a long-distance runner for many years. "But when we looked at it in multiple, scientific studies, it turned out to be a sports myth."
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #391
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
It should take 6 weeks for you to get up to running 20 minutes without walking.
How many times per week?

Maybe I will just start off with the Sketchers then. Man those things are comfy but wouldn't be surprised if running would wear them out some kinda quick.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #392
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll put in a plug for Gord's Running Store on Centre Street. They'll give you good advice and have fair prices, especially on sale items.

I have slightly wide feet and they pointed out that I might be more comfortable in 2E width shoes (which most brands don't have), and wow what a difference that made.

They also recommended some wide toe box trail shoes (Altra Timp 1.5) for me two weeks ago, and I'm loving them so far.

As mentioned above, unless you get sale shoes $160 to $180 is more in the range you should expect.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #393
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
How many times per week?

Maybe I will just start off with the Sketchers then. Man those things are comfy but wouldn't be surprised if running would wear them out some kinda quick.
Non-consecutive days so 3-4 times per week.

It's essentially an adaptation thing. As you use muscles a different way they actually break down and micro tear. In the following days they repair and become stronger. But if you continue micro tearing before a muscle has repaired it can accumulate and create injury. The same thing happens with bone (shin splints, stress fracture).

Injury seems to be one of the biggest barriers to people becoming runners. So if you do it right in the adaptation phase you're actually protecting yourself later on.

Edit: also look for older models of shoes which are marked down $20-$50 from the $170 ish mark.

If you find a pair you really like I highly recommend buying a few pairs (once you are sure this running thing is for you). New models change the entire shoe which is a big frustration for staying comfy.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.

Last edited by TheSutterDynasty; 07-24-2019 at 04:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #394
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome, thanks for the info all.

Found a decent starter program called none to run. Looked at the Couch 2 5K but kept reading a few small warnings about the program that lead me to the none to run which appears to be for the VERY new runner. That's so me. I haven't done any running since high school.

Fingers crossed! If you read about a guy found dead on the sidewalk in the Braeside area, that's me.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #395
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone run in one of the Spartan races over the weekend?

Weather held up well. Found the sprint course was very flat for a spartan but they made up for it with a lot of hills in the super.

As usual lots of mud and that damn deep single track in the woods on the super.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #396
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone run in one of the Spartan races over the weekend?

Weather held up well. Found the sprint course was very flat for a spartan but they made up for it with a lot of hills in the super.

As usual lots of mud and that damn deep single track in the woods on the super.
Ran the super today. The rain at the start wasn't too pleasant, but the weather was way better than I expected.

I thought this was the best Calgary course to date. A little too much up and down for my liking, but there is only so much you can do at that location. They still had a few dumb pools of muddy water you had to go through, but way less than other years. Overall it was pretty good. Running the super does remind me how unprepared I am for that distance though - I had zero obstacle failures and still was middle of the Age Group class.

Seemed like less people than usual, which isn't a good sign for the races long-term. The beer gardens were so sad looking with tubs of beer and like 3 people drinking.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #397
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Ran the super today. The rain at the start wasn't too pleasant, but the weather was way better than I expected.

I thought this was the best Calgary course to date. A little too much up and down for my liking, but there is only so much you can do at that location. They still had a few dumb pools of muddy water you had to go through, but way less than other years. Overall it was pretty good. Running the super does remind me how unprepared I am for that distance though - I had zero obstacle failures and still was middle of the Age Group class.

Seemed like less people than usual, which isn't a good sign for the races long-term. The beer gardens were so sad looking with tubs of beer and like 3 people drinking.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
That single track sloppy mess back in the trees again was really mean. But I guess that's the idea.

I wonder how much the weather came into play? A few short years ago there were 7k people in the sprint total. This year was only 1.7k. And 500 in the super from 750 last year.

New group of people running it next year by the sounds of it. Maybe they can stir up the interest again.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #398
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That single track sloppy mess back in the trees again was really mean. But I guess that's the idea.

I wonder how much the weather came into play? A few short years ago there were 7k people in the sprint total. This year was only 1.7k. And 500 in the super from 750 last year.

New group of people running it next year by the sounds of it. Maybe they can stir up the interest again.
I don't think weather was that big of a factor since you have to sign up weeks/months in advance knowing the weather is a gamble (though August is usually pretty safe).

I'm struggling to see how these races can keep up though. The group of people who keep coming back every year is too small to sustain the race - it just takes too many man hours to set up and take down a course for the hardcore people to cover the costs. So they need to attract the more casual runners to help get revenue up. Unfortunately, the casual person is likely to only do one or two of these and then say "I've done one, that's all I need". I'm guessing the conversion from someone doing it for the first time to doing it for a fifth time is very low (less than 5%). They can tap into the casual pool only a few times and then the pool shrinks each year.

I say all this as a person who really does like these races. But this year the whole thing just felt empty and unexciting - I don't hold out long-term hope.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #399
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I don't think weather was that big of a factor since you have to sign up weeks/months in advance knowing the weather is a gamble (though August is usually pretty safe).

I'm struggling to see how these races can keep up though. The group of people who keep coming back every year is too small to sustain the race - it just takes too many man hours to set up and take down a course for the hardcore people to cover the costs. So they need to attract the more casual runners to help get revenue up. Unfortunately, the casual person is likely to only do one or two of these and then say "I've done one, that's all I need". I'm guessing the conversion from someone doing it for the first time to doing it for a fifth time is very low (less than 5%). They can tap into the casual pool only a few times and then the pool shrinks each year.

I say all this as a person who really does like these races. But this year the whole thing just felt empty and unexciting - I don't hold out long-term hope.
For whats its worth a buddy of mine who does these competitively and sponsored and all that is quite excited for the new company taking over.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #400
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

It seems Spartan US will take over Spartan Canada. I got an email from both Spartans about folding and Spartan US taking over.

Let’s hope we start getting the American obstacles next year.

On a side note, is there a good place in the NW to run a half marathon?
I’m doing the virtual Sea Wheeze and I haven’t found a place where I can run for a long stretch.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker For This Useful Post: