Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #221
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I love the idea of vinyl and own 15-20 or so albums. That said, it really is inconvenient and they're collecting dust now. It will probably become much less popular for a large number of people before Sunrise makes their investment back.

You can play the entire discography of *insert band* in a couple clicks with a $10/month streaming service and have it play throughout your home. Don't like a song, skip it using your phone. At $20-40/album, it's just too cost-prohibitive to build a collection and when you do it takes up so much space.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #222
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The way I see it, Most people fit into a group which ultimately behaves as KTrain describes. Albums may be neat and cool, and “sound better”, but it’s more a novelty that is outweighed by all the ease of use of modern technologies.
The nature of the music industry these days doesn’t create much, of any, complete albums. As for sounding better, it’s true that an analog wave is more complete. But there’s pretty good evidence that between FLAC and analog (hell, even 320) the difference to the ear is almost imperceptible. I do wonder how much of the perceived sound improvement stems from the general listening situation when putting a record on. Most people listen to their tunes on garbage speakers in terrible locations, whereas a turntable also has a great amp, a nice pair of speakers, and a listening area where you can actually HEAR everything on the recording.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #223
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
The way I see it, Most people fit into a group which ultimately behaves as KTrain describes. Albums may be neat and cool, and “sound better”, but it’s more a novelty that is outweighed by all the ease of use of modern technologies.
The nature of the music industry these days doesn’t create much, of any, complete albums. As for sounding better, it’s true that an analog wave is more complete. But there’s pretty good evidence that between FLAC and analog (hell, even 320) the difference to the ear is almost imperceptible. I do wonder how much of the perceived sound improvement stems from the general listening situation when putting a record on. Most people listen to their tunes on garbage speakers in terrible locations, whereas a turntable also has a great amp, a nice pair of speakers, and a listening area where you can actually HEAR everything on the recording.
It’s a misconception that listening to an analog recording is more complete. As long as the sampling rate is high enough (Google Nyquist Theorem) the DAC can accurately recreate the smooth analog signal.

I mostly listen to digital music. It can’t be beat for fidelity but there’s a warm tone to vinyl that is pleasing. I really only listen to records because of this and nostalgia.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #224
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I love album cover artwork. That's why I've kept my collection of albums. You just need to look at groups like Asia and their artwork to admire it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #225
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I've done a comparison between flac(high quality, direct from Bandcamp, so I don't think it would be re-compressed to lose quality) and vinyl on my system, and when I set my amp to pure direct(no digital processing at all) the vinyl sounds better. Something about it just sounds fuller, warmer, and I'm still a sucker for the dusty pops that occasionally show up. But it's only when I want to sit and just listen to music that I use it, otherwise it's a PITA.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #226
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
As a Scotch Drinker its common that you're required to provide proof of ownership of a turntable in order to renew your Scotch-Drinker's License.

Its in the Bylaws and you can look it up in the Scotch-Drinker's handbook.

You.....you havent been drinking Scotch without a license have you? Are you some kind of "Scotch Scab?" Going against the Drinker's Union? Crossing the Drinking Line?
Do you have a card? Contact info for the union? I’ve got some friends in a union who are struggling right now and are looking to join forces to increase their bargaining power.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #227
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
And an Eams lounger. Don’t forget about that.
Christ, I love this so much because I have 2 buddies with built-in console tables that are record players and double as their scotch bar. Wouldn't be surprised if they also have Eames chairs they've added to the collection.

Suburban hipsters
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #228
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love consoles, they sound like crap but I still like the whole concept
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote