Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #921
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
On another note, I've finally gotten around to playing Far Cry 5 an I love it. I was dealing with a bit of screen-tearing at first and was hesitant to turn v-sync on in the game (I play on a 55" plasma that gets max 60 FPS) because I've had bad experiences with in-game v-sync settings in the past (usually results in noticeable slowdown in-game). As such, I generally resort to changing the settings to enable enhanced sync at the GPU level in the profile for each game as opposed to in the game itself. That generally fixes the problem, but I was still getting some mild screen-tearing this way with FC5. I turned the v-sync on in-game and voila, graphics were smooth on ultra and no noticeable slowdown, so I'm wondering if Ubisoft did something with their coding that overrides the GPU settings or something.
To me what separated this from other FC games was that while it's still very open world it wasn't as drawn out of a game as you could finish it relatively quickly unlike past games that seemed to last forever and wear out their welcome.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #922
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
To me what separated this from other FC games was that while it's still very open world it wasn't as drawn out of a game as you could finish it relatively quickly unlike past games that seemed to last forever and wear out their welcome.
Yeah, even the side quests have much more variety than past FC games. I couldn't even get more than an hour into Primal because of how repetitive it was.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #923
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Its pretty amazing to play a high end game at the highest settings on a 10 year old laptop (not even a gaming laptop) attached to a tv...I beta tested a similar service a while back, not sure if its there yet but certainly is the future.

No hardware, just buy the latest game
I have doubts that even with great internet that I won't notice any lag or image issues when playing. I think this will be a good enough for the casual gamer (with good internet), but I doubt I'm passing on the next generation of consoles because of it.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #924
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The DMC reboot a few years back was better but DMC 5 was a nice little game. Multiple playable characters so that’s cool. Kept me occcupied til Sekiro unlocks here in a few hours.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #925
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I have doubts that even with great internet that I won't notice any lag or image issues when playing. I think this will be a good enough for the casual gamer (with good internet), but I doubt I'm passing on the next generation of consoles because of it.
Maybe not the next but at some point they stop making the hardware IMO...at least as we know it.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #926
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I nabbed a copy of Wolfenstein two pack (New Order/Old Blood) to play before Wolfenstein 2 and man... it's absolutely as described!

It feels a little like Bioshock mixed in with Kill Bill so far. I only played a few hours though, but man has it been quite fun.

EDIT: I think I'd describe the game sorta like how honest trailers described Pacific Rim.

So dumb!
So awesome!
So dumb!
So awesome!

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-22-2019 at 09:12 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #927
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 hours into Sekiro and it's awesome. The difficulty is in the combat instead of artificial elements. And damn the combat is great. The first real test (outside of the tutorial) is the first mini-boss and it forces you to learn how to play the game. If you hang back and play defensively, you will have a lot of trouble and probably die. It wasn't until I really figured out that you need to be on the attack, constantly, and stay laser focused, that you can get through guys, and man you feel awesome when you do.

It's more what I've always wanted from a From Software game, more story, less RPG elements, less time wasting difficulty (no fast travel, etc.). Can't wait to play more and see how much the first real boss destroys me.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #928
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
2 hours into Sekiro and it's awesome. The difficulty is in the combat instead of artificial elements. And damn the combat is great. The first real test (outside of the tutorial) is the first mini-boss and it forces you to learn how to play the game. If you hang back and play defensively, you will have a lot of trouble and probably die. It wasn't until I really figured out that you need to be on the attack, constantly, and stay laser focused, that you can get through guys, and man you feel awesome when you do.

It's more what I've always wanted from a From Software game, more story, less RPG elements, less time wasting difficulty (no fast travel, etc.). Can't wait to play more and see how much the first real boss destroys me.
I’m barely an hour in and feel the same way. It’s like a mix of Tenchu (possibly my all time favourite game) and DS. Really looking forward to seeing where it goes. I like the controls and fluidity of movement relative to other FROM games.

I really loved Nioh but the main gripe I had was that the difficulty was because the bosses were cheap, not because it was hard if that makes sense. It wasn’t always that you knew how to play it but had the timing off, some of it was just cheap difficulty instead. So far Sekiro feels like a good mix of both.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #929
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ i know its early, but how do you both compare Sekiro to games like Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne?

i found both of those manageable difficulty wise, but the best part for me was just how damn good the atmosphere (creepy) and character design (creepier) was in both those games

great to hear how much you are enjoying it though!
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:19 AM   #930
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have played Dark Souls and Bloodborne, haven't finished either so I'm not an expert by any means but I would say the big differences are:

-Stamina bar. There is none in Sekiro. You can sprint and attack and defend to your heart's content.
-Character movement -- Sekiro controls more like a typical action game, a lot faster with a lot more freedom. There is a jump button. You have a grappling hook to explore vertically with.
-RPG elements -- Sekiro is a lot lighter on RPG elements. You don't equip new armor or weapons, it's more about acquiring new combat skills and tools and learning how to best implement them into new strategies.

It is still brutally difficult and the combat is unforgiving. Any boss level character (even mini-bosses) can kill you in 2-3 hits, and there's no better armor or grinding out levels to make it easier. You just have to figure out the patterns and timing and execute near flawlessly. But I personally find the combat much more fun and rewarding than previous From games due to the freedom of movement and faster pace. When things come together and you blitz through a mini-boss without barely being hit, you know you've made it.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #931
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I have played Dark Souls and Bloodborne, haven't finished either so I'm not an expert by any means but I would say the big differences are:

-Stamina bar. There is none in Sekiro. You can sprint and attack and defend to your heart's content.
-Character movement -- Sekiro controls more like a typical action game, a lot faster with a lot more freedom. There is a jump button. You have a grappling hook to explore vertically with.
-RPG elements -- Sekiro is a lot lighter on RPG elements. You don't equip new armor or weapons, it's more about acquiring new combat skills and tools and learning how to best implement them into new strategies.

It is still brutally difficult and the combat is unforgiving. Any boss level character (even mini-bosses) can kill you in 2-3 hits, and there's no better armor or grinding out levels to make it easier. You just have to figure out the patterns and timing and execute near flawlessly. But I personally find the combat much more fun and rewarding than previous From games due to the freedom of movement and faster pace. When things come together and you blitz through a mini-boss without barely being hit, you know you've made it.
that's the love and hate part of From games... i finished BB and decided to go back to Dark Souls 3 (i tried Demon Souls and quit after one night)...it was also really tough, especially as the first boss was not more than 15 minutes in...i died countless times before figuring it out (had to not play it like Bloodborne)... and it was a phenomenal experience, though i got jammed up 2 bosses from the end...

really looking forward to playing Seikero though; it looks great and has received tremendous reviews.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #932
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

for my birthday a friend sent me Subnautica. Apparently i was pining for a new Ecco the Dolphin some time ago. Sounds like me..

At first I wasnt sure what to do, just swam around and thought it was pretty boring. But 30 hours into the game later, you should see my $@^%& sweet sea base and submarine!!!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #933
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
that's the love and hate part of From games... i finished BB and decided to go back to Dark Souls 3 (i tried Demon Souls and quit after one night)...it was also really tough, especially as the first boss was not more than 15 minutes in...i died countless times before figuring it out (had to not play it like Bloodborne)... and it was a phenomenal experience, though i got jammed up 2 bosses from the end...

really looking forward to playing Seikero though; it looks great and has received tremendous reviews.
I don't think I've even made it to a real boss yet. On my fourth sub boss I believe between two storylines and have had countless controller throwing moments...until I realize how to play it and win. It helped that I grinded "souls" for a handful of hours to unlock some upgrades and make some of this a little easier.

Had my first "oh sh**!" moment as well so that was fun. You'll know when you get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 06:37 AM   #934
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's all love for me when it comes to From Software. They are the only developer that constantly challenges gamers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:57 PM   #935
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new battle royale mode for Battlefield V seems to be getting a lot of praise. Just tried it and I love Battlefield but it definitely re-affirmed that battle royale games just aren't for me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #936
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

At the risk of being told to start a Sekiro specific thread I’ll add some more thoughts. This is a brutally difficult game and really feels like it walks that fine line between DS git gud and Nioh’s “son of a cheap beesting I never stood a chance why you cheating?”. Got past the first real boss and honestly it was easier than most of the sub bosses that are littered throughout the game. I’m still working on the pace of combat and finding the fine line between aggression and intelligent defence.

Unquestionably my favourite FROM game but again I’m a Tenchu fanboy and this is really just updated hard as hell Tenchu. As far as scale goes it certainly feels smaller than previous FROM games but maybe the world will open up a bit as we move on. Not a huge fan that parrying is the major combat mechanic, that was always the most difficult part of previous games IMO and I would avoid using it at all costs. I take a lot of hits trying to parry now. Thankfully after a few life and healing upgrades it’s not as catastrophic against standard enemies to take a few hits.

Seeing so much crying online about how unrelentingly difficult it is makes me want to like it even more. Definitely the kind of game where I feel no shame googling a specific boss after I’ve died for the 10th time trying to get some ideas on how to win. Looking at you stupid purple ninja. Eat my butt.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #937
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TjRhythmic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #938
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
At the risk of being told to start a Sekiro specific thread I’ll add some more thoughts. This is a brutally difficult game and really feels like it walks that fine line between DS git gud and Nioh’s “son of a cheap beesting I never stood a chance why you cheating?”. Got past the first real boss and honestly it was easier than most of the sub bosses that are littered throughout the game. I’m still working on the pace of combat and finding the fine line between aggression and intelligent defence.

Unquestionably my favourite FROM game but again I’m a Tenchu fanboy and this is really just updated hard as hell Tenchu. As far as scale goes it certainly feels smaller than previous FROM games but maybe the world will open up a bit as we move on. Not a huge fan that parrying is the major combat mechanic, that was always the most difficult part of previous games IMO and I would avoid using it at all costs. I take a lot of hits trying to parry now. Thankfully after a few life and healing upgrades it’s not as catastrophic against standard enemies to take a few hits.

Seeing so much crying online about how unrelentingly difficult it is makes me want to like it even more. Definitely the kind of game where I feel no shame googling a specific boss after I’ve died for the 10th time trying to get some ideas on how to win. Looking at you stupid purple ninja. Eat my butt.
I rolled through Hirata Estates — beat the Shinobi Hunter my second try, and Drunken Juzou on my first (!). Currently stuck on Lady Butterfly though.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #939
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjRhythmic View Post
Yessssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #940
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Borderlands trailer is really satisfying. Just gameplay, no cinematic trailer. Just the stuff we like. You have to appreciate that.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote