Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Checking luggage to final destination

This summer I'll be going to Norway and Iceland. I booked it as 2 separate trips because it was about $1000 cheaper to do it this way and allows us to spend a few days in Iceland. First booking is Halifax to Iceland (return). Second booking is Iceland to Norway (return). We'll have 4 days in Iceland at the end before returning to Halifax.

I'll be flying from Halifax to Iceland and have a 3.5 hr layover before boarding a flight to Norway. Does anyone know if it's possible to have the luggage checked through to Norway as opposed to collecting it in Iceland and going back through security again?

All flights will be on Icelandair

Last edited by shane_c; 03-10-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Addition
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would imagine it differs in different countries, but generally if you are connecting to another flight in a different country, you are required to recheck your bags. If you were connecting to a different destination within that same country, the airline does it.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ignoring customs rules in Iceland, you have to recheck regardless; checked to destination is based on the individual ticket and not carrier, destination.

Last edited by Ducay; 03-10-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

And you’re going to want to check when you get to Iceland. A couple years ago I was flying from Calgary to Chengdu (through Beijing). We asked here whether our bags would go directly to Chengdu and they assured us that was the case. I was good with that, but my friend just wanted to make sure. We checked and sure enough the bags were on the conveyor and we had to recheck them. That would be a less than enjoyable way to start a trip!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:36 PM   #5
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

You can only check luggage through if it was booked with the same airline (or partner airlines like Star Alliance, etc) and ONLY if it was booked by a travel agent that has to specify this at the time of booking. You should be able to get them to do it at the kiosk during intial checkin but not sure about that.

Otherwise you have to pick your luggage up, go through customs, and then re-check the luggage when you check into your other flight. This has bit us in the ass once at Heathrow..
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #6
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Stay out of my country you filthy animals
Old 03-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Booking it as two separate trips guaranteed you'll have to re-check your luggage.

Most countries require you re-check anyway when connecting internationally, the notable exception being US -> Canada flights where you have a connecting flight within Canada.

Example, flying from Seattle to Calgary via Vancouver; your bag -- checked in Seattle -- will bypass international arrival baggage claim in YVR. You can go directly to your connecting flight after going through Canadian customs without re-checking your bag. The opposite direction (eg: Calgary > Vancouver > Seattle) doesn't work that way, since you have to go through US Pre-Clearance in the airport immediately prior to your flight entering the US.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 03-12-2019 at 07:40 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The opposite direction (eg: Calgary > Vancouver > Seattle) doesn't work that way, since you have to go through US Pre-Clearance in the airport immediately prior to your flight entering the US.
Last spring I went Calgary- Vancouver- Vegas and didn't have to grab my bags. We waited a bit at US Customs and then they showed me a photo and an Xray of my bag; asking me to confirm it was mine.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Last spring I went Calgary- Vancouver- Vegas and didn't have to grab my bags. We waited a bit at US Customs and then they showed me a photo and an Xray of my bag; asking me to confirm it was mine.
That's a new one on me, I remember having to claim and re-check going from Calgary > Vancouver > Los Angeles.

Glad to be wrong if that's the case now, such a pain in the arse.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote