Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 PM   #261
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Estonia is probably the leading jurisdiction in the world on this kind of stuff:

https://e-estonia.com/solutions/e-identity/id-card/
Old 03-24-2019, 10:35 PM   #262
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't BC already have a unified driver's license/health care card? What do they do for children?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #263
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I like the card and I know we discussed this on CP before (I think in the new drivers license thread?). I guess my question is more from a priorities standpoint. Sure, great, one card to rule them all. But what about actually important issues?
Pfft. The only important issues are how intolerant are the UCP today and what did comrades Heaney and Notley do to F us forever.

(BTW the answer is B - Brian Topp)
Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #264
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Doesn't BC already have a unified driver's license/health care card? What do they do for children?
Yeah they do. People under 18 can have one without a photo. It's called a BC Services card and can be combined with a drivers license
Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 PM   #265
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary South East UCP candidate resigning?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmmaLGran...20746363822080
Old 03-24-2019, 10:51 PM   #266
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Calgary South East UCP candidate resigning?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmmaLGran...20746363822080
That would be interesting because I think she was the only one running against Fraser. No NDP, FCP or Lib candidates for that district

Last edited by btimbit; 03-24-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:59 PM   #267
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

"threatening a smear campaign"...AKA oh #### they found out about my unpopular views, better quit now?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:04 PM   #268
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

She seems to stand behind her comments. If she was standing on principle, why didn't when the threats to release come along say "bring it on" and and defend them with context (she says is needed)> Instead this as part of a resignation to play up some martyrdom complex? Odd.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:05 PM   #269
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Has anyone of these UCP candidates under fire for opening their traps even apologized for controversial comments they've made? Or is it all doubling down and blaming external factors?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #270
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw that resignation video on my FB feed wow was it strange. It’s like she knows she can’t win, especially with those comments surfaced, so has decided to set herself up as a free speech martyr.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #271
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...mpression=true
Old 03-24-2019, 11:50 PM   #272
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I saw that resignation video on my FB feed wow was it strange. It’s like she knows she can’t win, especially with those comments surfaced, so has decided to set herself up as a free speech martyr.
Definitely my thoughts too. Like she knows people are going to go after her for those views so decides to act like the victim but also quits so she doesn't have to deal with the blowback, Very odd.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:23 AM   #273
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Definitely my thoughts too. Like she knows people are going to go after her for those views so decides to act like the victim but also quits so she doesn't have to deal with the blowback, Very odd.
Party strategy to remove the fuel from the fire? They know they have the lead so can sacrifice a few pawns rather than letting the story drag out.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:30 AM   #274
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Party strategy to remove the fuel from the fire? They know they have the lead so can sacrifice a few pawns rather than letting the story drag out.
Possible they don't think they can win against Fraser anyway and are just going full damage control
Old 03-25-2019, 01:07 AM   #275
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
But your not going to issue photo ID to a baby. And a Baby needs a health care card. So a new solution would need to be proposed

Probably like passports for children...renewable every 5 years until a certain age.

Also, I am presuming the new identity cards being presented would require photos. Isn't part of the idea of renewing drivers licenses and passports every so many years to deal with the aging of our features?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:13 AM   #276
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Rick Fraser, as the incumbent, has to be the favourite in Calgary South-East now.

Guy walked away from the UCP over this very issue on principle.

He's a very competent MLA as well.

Also, he played professional hockey for the Mexico City Toreros!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=49298

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 03-25-2019 at 02:16 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 07:30 AM   #277
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Has anyone of these UCP candidates under fire for opening their traps even apologized for controversial comments they've made? Or is it all doubling down and blaming external factors?
Sounds like a page out of the ndp playbook. Every ndp rally: ya we screwed up but it’s the conservatives fault
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #278
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

NDP should 'pivot off Kenney' after attack ads dominate first week of campaigning: pundits

Quote:
Political watchers say the provincial NDP’s attacks on UCP Leader Jason Kenney won’t be enough to win key battlegrounds without highlighting Premier Rachel Notley’s successes over the past four years.

Notley announced Albertans will go to the polls April 16 just days after leaked emails outlined what’s been called a “kamikaze campaign” to ensure Kenney won the UCP leadership race.

Even with plenty of scandalous ammunition readily available, political analyst David Taras said the attacks by Notley and the NDP have begun to sound like “background music” instead of “the big orchestra” the party had hoped for.

“On Tuesday we were in the middle of this big scandal that it looked like this might be the thing that took Kenney out . . . but it seems to be slowly disappearing in the minds of voters,” Taras said.
Quote:
But the party will need to “pivot off of Kenney” if it hopes to hang on to the legislature, he said.

Henry believes the NDP’s negative ads and anti-Kenney messaging might succeed in sidelining voter skepticism about the NDP’s economic platform in the short term, but “they’re going to have to start talking about issues” to resonate with voters.

“If all you do in 28 days is say ‘Jason Kenney bad, Jason Kenney bad,’ eventually there’s a big segment of voters who are going to say, ‘wait a minute, you’re not talking about the issues that matter to me, so I’m going to stop listening to you,’ ” Henry said.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...igning-pundits
Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #279
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Sounds like a page out of the ndp playbook. Every ndp rally: ya we screwed up but it’s the conservatives fault
So would you agree that these UCP candidates are doubling down and deflecting blame?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #280
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The problem for Notley is that her "successes" are few and far between in regars to what people appear to be concerned with right now...jobs and economy. As well as she is a tried and true anti-pipeline (particularly oil sands) honk who now needs a pipeline just to have any hope of staying in power. I mean it couldn't be more obvious with her history and the appointments she has made....that part of her ideology has never changed but she cant continue the "work" unless in government. She has been actively working to destroy the Alberta oil sands for many many years and long before she was elected and that's a tough nut to crack considering the current climate among Albertans.