Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #21
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Arizona is also 6 points back of Vegas, even in games played, and have one head-to-head matchup to go. Unlikely, but possible.
It's more possible than the Oilers making the playoffs. It's the same point spread and same games played, but the difference is Coyotes don't need to leapfrog any teams, while Oilers have to leapfrog 4 teams.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
Iggy3x
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't watch enough Coyote games to say really how good they are. I've watching a lot more condensed games lately due to them being a potential match up for the Flames. I feel they work hard and got a few nice young players. I will be happy if they make the playoffs. Either San Jose or Calgary should have a pretty easy time with them, but the games should still be entertaining since they do work hard.

Last edited by Iggy3x; 03-14-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Iggy3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #23
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think something that adds to the impressiveness of this Coyotes season is that they pulled off that Strome+Perlini for Schmaltz trade, which was excellent for them at first, but then Schmaltz got hurt.

I watch all of the Coyotes' games. They're one of the most cohesive teams I can remember watching. Their penalty kill is absolutely incredible and their entire team functions so well by committee.

So not only have they been without Schmaltz, Dvorak, Demers, Grabner, Raanta, Galchenyuk, and Stepan for much of the season, but because of bad injury luck, they also essentially gave away Strome and Perlini for nothing. And yet they're competing and have won something like 9 of 11 with Brad Richardson as their top scorer.

I think John Chayka should be looked at as a candidate for GM of the Year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #24
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they make it in and the Flames can finish above San Jose.

If San Jose manages to win the Pacific, then i still hope Coyotes are in. The pressure will all be on San Jose not to be playoff chokers again. If the Yotes goalie plays lights out and stones them the first couple of games while Jones struggles, this could be a great upset.

Flames beat Vegas in a hard fought 6 game series, gets their mojo back, and beat the Yotes who come off their emotional high. Then conference finals here we come!

My dream scenario anyways...
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #25
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think something that adds to the impressiveness of this Coyotes season is that they pulled off that Strome+Perlini for Schmaltz trade, which was excellent for them at first, but then Schmaltz got hurt.

I watch all of the Coyotes' games. They're one of the most cohesive teams I can remember watching. Their penalty kill is absolutely incredible and their entire team functions so well by committee.

So not only have they been without Schmaltz, Dvorak, Demers, Grabner, Raanta, Galchenyuk, and Stepan for much of the season, but because of bad injury luck, they also essentially gave away Strome and Perlini for nothing. And yet they're competing and have won something like 9 of 11 with Brad Richardson as their top scorer.

Moves on paper Chayka has pulled off may not be too impressive but getting the right people and role players has definitely worked out.

I want to see Tocchet get Jack Adams this year. He deserves it
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #26
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
No one cares about your team. Here or anywhere else.
Are you ok today bud?
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #27
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
300 isn't a huge deal. It would put a team around 10th in the league most years.
Also, about half of that is from players that Arizona acquired knowing that they would never play again.

Although, I would expect that most of the teams with injuries this high do not make the playoffs, so it would still be somewhat noteworthy

Last edited by Geeoff; 03-14-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #28
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Neat.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #29
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Also, about half of that is from players that Arizona acquired knowing that they would never play again.
The injuries to Hossa and Bolland are not factored into this calculation.

The majority comes from Michael Grabner (41 games missed), Christian Dvorak (62 games), Nick Schmaltz (31 games), Antti Raanta (47 games), Jason Demers (43 games), Jakob Chychrun (23 games), Kyle Capobianco (16 games), Brad Richardson (16 games), Jordan Oesterle (10 games), Alex Galchenyuk (10 games), Vinnie Hinostroza (10 games), Richard Panik (6 games) and Derek Stepan (6 games and counting).

That's 321 games right there, and that's missing a few smaller ones.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #30
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Would it kill Datsyuk to step it up?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #31
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post

Although, I would expect that most of the teams with injuries this high do not make the playoffs, so it would still be somewhat noteworthy
I don't think players injured for the entire year count. I think they're designated as "injured non-roster."
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #32
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Are you ok today bud?
No.
Five-hole is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #33
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The injuries to Hossa and Bolland are not factored into this calculation.

The majority comes from Michael Grabner (41 games missed), Christian Dvorak (62 games), Nick Schmaltz (31 games), Antti Raanta (47 games), Jason Demers (43 games), Jakob Chychrun (23 games), Kyle Capobianco (16 games), Brad Richardson (16 games), Jordan Oesterle (10 games), Alex Galchenyuk (10 games), Vinnie Hinostroza (10 games), Richard Panik (6 games) and Derek Stepan (6 games and counting).

That's 321 games right there, and that's missing a few smaller ones.
Those are significant players for the Coyotes missing significant games. Not bit part players. Makes the season even more impressive. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tocchet be a finalist for the Adams if the Coyotes make the playoffs.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #34
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
What’s the neat story? Perennially awful team that picks top 10 every year finally makes the playoffs in a year where the western conference wild card teams can barely manage 80 point seasons?
But the wildcard teams are on pace for 88 and 92 points respectively? I think that is a bit more than barely 80.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #35
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Strome has been fantastic for Chicago and Perlini is rounding into form. That was a terrible trade by Chayka and you think that was impressive? Ya, ok.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

For comparisons' sake:

https://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.com/20...reakdowns.html
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #37
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
No, god no

He traded away two young centers who are close to a PPG this season and his team is in 18th place overall.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #38
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

These two seem pretty contradictory no? Chayka gave Strome and Perlini up for nothing, but deserves GM of the year? Strome has been lighting it up for Chicago, and Perlini has looked decent.

I think their coach deserves coach of the year nominations. But Chayka's still a below average GM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #39
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Most of Chayka's moves suggest to me there is no long term plan. You think they are building something or moving in a certain direction and then they pivot into a wall.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #40
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm rooting for them and I honestly don't get the hate for them here.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote