Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #181
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the email making the rounds among my hillbilly friends and they are sucking it up...

Quote:
Fw: Australia says NO, again
Too bad WE can’t be more like the Aussies!
She's done it again.. She sure isn't backing down on her hard line stance and one has to appreciate her belief in the rights of her native countrymen. A breath of fresh air to see someone lead. I wish some leaders would step up in Canada & USA. ...

Prime Minister Julia Gillard - Australia
Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks..
Separately, Gillard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying she supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.
Quote: 'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians."

Julia Guillard isn't even the PM of Australia anymore. But it doesn't matter because it's the nonsense idiots want to hear. In all the world and at all the time since someone actually did write these words...a hillbilly senator from Georgia in 2000, why did it start making the rounds now and why was it attributed to an Australian political figure.....at this time...after this terrible thing happened....not single idea among the 40 some members of this unfortunate email group.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #182
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
This is the email making the rounds among my hillbilly friends and they are sucking it up...

Julia Guillard isn't even the PM of Australia anymore. But it doesn't matter because it's the nonsense idiots want to hear. In all the world and at all the time since someone actually did write these words...a hillbilly senator from Georgia in 2000, why did it start making the rounds now and why was it attributed to an Australian political figure.....at this time...after this terrible thing happened....not single idea among the 40 some members of this unfortunate email group.
[/INDENT]
Sorry I’m honestly trying to understand where you’re coming from here but apart from how she is no longer the Australian Prime Minister can you please explain why you think what she said was so bad? What was bad about it?

I think all groups that contain radicals should have oversight. While “spying” is a weird term here I dont think oversight for radical groups is necessarily a bad thing is it? Also I would be surprised if there wasn’t quite a bit of oversight of radicals already anyway to be honest.

I’m not sure as Canadians we want Sharia law kicking around here either do we? Doesn’t really seem to align with Canadian values?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #183
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/like-it-or-leave-it/

Quote:
This item is a hybrid which combines an introductory reference to statements made by Australian politicians about Muslims following the July 2005 London Tube bombings with an editorial about immigrants written by a U.S. Air Force veteran following the September 2001 attacks on the U.S., attributing the entire result to Julia Gillard, who was the Prime Minister of Australia from 2010 to 2013. In fact, none of the statements quoted in the above example was actually made by Prime Minister Gillard.
FireGilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #184
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The funny (or is it sad?) part is there are plenty of actual anti-Muslim quotes from numerous Aussie politicians over the years. Why go to all the effort to make up a quote and attribute it to Gillard of all people? I guess they picked Gillard because having a women from the left side of politics criticise Muslims has more impact?
Old 03-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #185
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Sorry I’m honestly trying to understand where you’re coming from here but apart from how she is no longer the Australian Prime Minister can you please explain why you think what she said was so bad? What was bad about it?

I think all groups that contain radicals should have oversight. While “spying” is a weird term here I dont think oversight for radical groups is necessarily a bad thing is it? Also I would be surprised if there wasn’t quite a bit of oversight of radicals already anyway to be honest.

I’m not sure as Canadians we want Sharia law kicking around here either do we? Doesn’t really seem to align with Canadian values?

The part I find offensive, besides all of it, is that it appeared right after 50 people who were minding their own business were killed by an Australian who believes this email word for word. In that sense it is supporting and providing justification for right wing extremism and terror.

The specifics of the email are also pretty frustrating. We have had laws against Sharia law, and all religious tribunal courts, in Canada since 2005. We've had a duty to accommodate all religious freedoms since I think 1988 and while there have been some disagreement with what that means, by and large we manage quite well. We're threatened by muslims in 2019 in much the same way we were by commies in the 1950's.

And the ultimate irony is the real threat. You're worried about terrorism? Start spying on white guys and monitoring small town bars. Right wing terrorism far outweighs Islamic terrorism in North America and it's largely because people get riled up but these kind of divisive email tropes.

I might be wrong but from the responses the email is getting, it has achieved its goal of making white people mad at different people.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #186
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it seems like the goal of the e-mail is to go hey the progressive female leader of a country just like yours is scared of Muslims and is doing something about it, you should be scared of Muslims and do something about it too. The truth be damned.

In my personal experience if you have ever heard a young Lebanese-Australian Sydneysider talking with the biggest bogan accent ever you will cease to be scared of Muslims.