Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2021, 05:13 PM   #121
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
March isn’t a C tho.
He's listed as playing center position.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #122
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
He's listed as playing center position.
Yea I’m sure he played it in junior and had a couple looks at it in the NHL but in general he has played W.

Pacioretty-Stephenson-Stone
Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #123
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Monahan is the choice for me. Given that Sutter has been praising him for his effort during a stretch where he is pretty unproductive and unimpressive, I think that moving out a player taking up a big chunk of the cap and probably maxing out as a 2C for the last two years of the deal would be a smart move. Hopefully he would generate a bit of a market and they could pick up some good assets, though his value seems like it's at an all time low.

Tkachuk - I would only trade Tkachuk in a deal with other assets to bring in an elite player with term or team control and probably only for a C or RW. Otherwise, there is such a big risk that he is going to bounce back and the roster will just have a few more lesser players.

Gaudreau - I'd be more willing to trade him because he's only got one season left. If they are able to extend him, then I wouldn't be moving him as this scenario precludes a full-on rebuild. He's adjusted better than I expected and can still be a gamebreaker.

Giordano - my position would be to expose him in the expansion draft and hope that Seattle doesn't bite due to age and not wanting to take a veteran guy and his family away from the city he played his whole career in just to move him for assets at the deadline. We'd see how ruthless Ron Francis is, but I suspect that he'd leave Gio alone.

Lindholm - I'd only move him if it were a complete teardown. I would imagine he'd have a ton of value given his play and favorable contract, but only moving one piece of the core, he'd be the last to move for me.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #124
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Monahan.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #125
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I admit that Monny’s trade value may be hard to peg, I’m dead certain he’s not going to be the main piece in a deal for Point or Eichel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #126
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
While I admit that Monny’s trade value may be hard to peg, I’m dead certain he’s not going to be the main piece in a deal for Point or Eichel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That would be Leeman for Gilmour level fleecing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #127
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

1. Tkachuck, bad contract, not worth the price tag.
2. Gaudreau, one dimensional, detriment when not scoring.
3. Gio, Slowing down.
4. Monohan, 2 way game getting better, might keep.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:24 PM   #128
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think if there's only 1 guy traded, then the Flames would have to trade Monahan.

I really like Monahan. He gets more flack than he deserves on here. He's got a hell of a shot and knack for drifting away from defenders into the slot. You can tell he's a character guy who cares a lot. However, he's in an awkward spot where he doesn't seem good enough to truly be a #1 center on a contender and the Flames don't have the depth, or maybe the right mix of players in their middle 6 to properly utilize his strengths in a lesser role.

Add in the fact that the Flames are struggling to consistently bring pace and energy, and how Sean Monahan kinda just has a boring, almost lethargic style of game and I think you got a recipe for a guy who needs a change of scenery and will probably thrive elsewhere, as he has for so many years here in Calgary.

For all of Gaudreau's faults, he's still an elite player. He may not be a McDavid or a Crosby, but he's still an elite offensive game-changer in this league. I like the look of the Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk and I think it could be a very effective top line for this team next season if they choose to go that route.

I think the Flames are only really forced to move Gaudreau this offseason if they look to extend Johnny and he says he doesn't want to, or he's looking for something outrageous like 8x10.

Last edited by Super-Rye; 05-03-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:47 PM   #129
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me the absolute only way the answer is Gaudreau is if you know for sure you can’t keep him. If there’s hope he stays then you don’t move him.

For me the answer is Giordano with Monahan a very close second.

It’s time for a new captain.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #130
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gaudreau. I can’t stand his fear of physical contact. How do you get a whole team to buy in to a system if one of the highest ice time players gets a free pass to not to sacrifice his body for betterment of the team?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:10 PM   #131
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Gaudreau. I can’t stand his fear of physical contact. How do you get a whole team to buy in to a system if one of the highest ice time players gets a free pass to not to sacrifice his body for betterment of the team?
The guy is 150lbs

It doesn't help the team if he gets a season ending injury. Different players have different roles, some guys get more hits and some guys get more points.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:21 PM   #132
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This team needs another scoring line badly. I’m confident in the defensive side of the game with Darryl’s low event system, but this team cannot seem to get that extra goal to push it to OT and collect those valuable points. How many close, one goal games has this team lost this season in regulation? Too many. Montréal conversely has a ton of loser points which has made all the difference.

So to me, the upgrade is at center and right wing. I’m not sure Dube is ready to step into a top 6 role quite yet, so I’d shift him to the 3rd line until he actually earns a top 6 role. The second line center position needs an upgrade as well, so Monahan is out for me. He has not elevated any of his wingers for the entire season regardless of who’s on his line.

So if Treliving can find a legitimate #1 center and slot him in at #2C, then maybe this team has a chance to win more of those 2-1 or 3-2 games. Ideally, if Tre can find that elusive #1 center who can actually slot at #1 and push Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk to the second line, then that would be a hard team to beat.

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 05-03-2021 at 10:36 PM.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 10:32 PM   #133
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
This line of thinking is akin to not wanting a defenseman who’s prone to being on the other end of a highlight reel goal. All you see is that, so it begins to cloud the true judgment of the player.

I don’t doubt that Gaudreau bails out on the occasional play to avoid a hit, but it’s not an every shift problem and I think it mostly applies mostly to teams like the Blues or the Stars who play a very heavy game.

The past 5 or so Montréal games played out very much like a playoff series and I thought Gaudreau was one of the most dangerous players on the ice. He certainly scored some game breaking goals that very few players on this team can pull off. So you have to really ask yourself, are you ok with losing the team’s most dynamic game breaker because he bails on a few hits from time to time? If so, where do the goals come from next year?
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 10:54 PM   #134
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The guy is 150lbs

It doesn't help the team if he gets a season ending injury. Different players have different roles, some guys get more hits and some guys get more points.
I don’t disagree with any of your points.
But Gaudreau’s role of getting more points is at the expense of being below a replacement level player at: forecheck, board battles, going to any hard areas of the ice.

He’s an elite stick handler and I harbour no I’ll will towards him as a person, but I think he’s a weak link in getting a dressing room to all buy into a system that holds everyone accountable.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:19 PM   #135
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan for me. The compete level just isn't there IMO. In important games I at least see Johnny trying to get something going (even if unsuccessfully) but I so rarely see that from 23. And for a body of Monahan's size, how rarely do we see the physicality one might expect which again comes down to compete level in my view.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:40 AM   #136
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wanted to reply without reading others opinions first. Whilst the premise of the thread is only moving one player, unfortunately I don't think it is as simple as one, maybe the questions should be two fold, how many do you think need moving and who.
In answer to the thread question though, for me it is Gaudreau, purely from an assett managment point of view. Regardless of rumours either way, I am not convinced he signs here again and with that ntc kicking in we need to give ourselves the opportunity of the best return possible, not allowing ourselves to be trapped in a similar situation as Iginla.
Plus, whilst he is a good player, I think he gets us the best return out of all of those that need trading, he isn't going to put us over the top.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:43 AM   #137
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:45 AM   #138
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

As an Oiler fan answering this question: Monahan.

Gaudreau and Lindholm are the 2 Calgary should keep as their 2nd and 3rd best forwards. Trading Monahan and Tkachuk + for a 1C is the smart move imo.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OILFAN #81 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 03:39 AM   #139
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm - Keep him and build around him. Best all around player on the team and his good games outweigh his bad games significantly. Excellent production for his cap hit. Swedish players age like fine wine. If you asked me when he was a 'Cane if I would ever choose him over Monahan I'd laugh at you. But clearly he has surpassed him and it's an easy choice to keep him

Gaudreau - I'm down to keep Johnny if he wants to re-sign and if he get's a legit #1 C to play with. I think he cares and is adapting to Sutter's system. But the conversation needs to be had with him; are you wanting to re-sign at a team-friendly cap hit ASAP, or are you going to hold off until UFA? What he answers defines what happens to him. Does he shy away and get scared from physical contact when games tighten up? He does. But it's hardly his fault given his size. He NEEDS to be surrounded by tougher teammates to carry over his regular season success and it's a massive failure on the organization's part to fail to surround him with help. Trading Johnny is definitely a core shakeup. But kiss our offence goodbye unless a comparable player or true #1 C is coming back. Flames are a bottom 3 offensive team if they lose that trade and don't replace his offence.

Monahan - I think he'd be an excellent #2 C. But if he continuously relied upon to be the #1 the Flames will continue to tread water. Don't care if his supporter throw out whatever excel sheet to show he's a #1. The eye ball test says he is not. He epitomises what is wrong with the Flames; lack of drive, no extra gear, slow pace. He used to be clutch. Than that skillset disappeared. If the core needs a shakeup, he's my #1 target to trade.

Gio - Love Gio but time to move on. As heartless as it sounds, I don't care about the organizations loyalty towards a veteran player and doing what is best for him and not the organization. Didn't work well with Iginla and it won't work well again here. If they can find a taker, trade him.

Tkachuk - Bit on the fence with this one. I'm not ready to ship him off as many posters are. Players are allowed to have down seasons and last season he was talked about as being untradeable and the future captain. I don't think a seasons where pretty much everybody has regressed changes that. The ONLY way I want him traded is if Sutter sits down with Treliving, points to a photo of Tkachuk and says "I have identified Matthew Tkachuk as part of the rot here that is holding this franchise back and he must go". He is still producing at the same rate he did last season, but the intangibles are gone ever since the puck flip and whatever talking to was given to him. The only way I'd consider trading him is if the contract situation blows up, or the Flames made what is very very very clearly a win-trade for a #1 C.

Backlund - Frustrating at times, but an excellent middle 6 C and the team will miss his heavy lifting if he goes. The only thing I don't like about him is his cap hit. But the on-ice player I am fine with the most part.

Markstrom - Don't need to play the goalie carousal again. While he's had his faults at times, trading him out of spite simply leads to another ~decade long search for a #1 G yet again. I think with a better team in front he fares much better. The #1 G is way down the list of issues with the team right now.

Overall the Flames desperately need a true #1 C if they ever hope to compete consistently. That's a tough asset to find so the GM has his work cut out. I'm okay to trade for a guy like Eichel even if it means overpaying a bit. Short term paid for some long term gain.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 05-04-2021 at 03:42 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 04:49 AM   #140
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am trying to think of one realistic reason why Johnny would sign a “team-friendly “ extension.

Presumably that means signing a contract for less term and cap than he could realistically get on the open market.

Now, players sign contracts all the time for cap hits that turn out to be great deals, but how many elite players who are close to UFA actually sign contracts which stunned us at the time as being below market?

What does a team friendly contract actually look like for Johnny?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote