Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #61
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure if this belongs in this particular thread but has anyone else noticed Kristin Hallett missing from Flames TV?

I know that once they brought Ryan Leslie on board they somewhat split the road games a bit but I can't recall seeing her on any of the regular season games. Saw a few clips during the training camp and preseason but nothing since.

Just an observation.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #62
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was wondering the same. I think she's going to do off ice things for Flames TV and Ryan will do the pre game announcements.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #63
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Red View Post
I could go on for hours about how while I understand your sentiment, your lack of understanding for the game is ultimately why you would have this (incorrect) opinion, as is with most sports any individual would find boring.
lol I love this argument.

Whats going on that us "non-educated" viewers aren't catching when literal minutes go by in between pitches. Are we supposed to be enthralled by the pitcher selecting which pitch he's going to throw? or try in vain to catch someone trying to steal a base? Just cause something is happening doesn't mean it's exciting. I get that strikes, fouls and balls are important to the game, it's still boring as hell to sit through. Fact of the matter is, Baseball is mostly waiting. Waiting for that big moment. That's why a lot of people have a hard time watching it.

We should start a different thread about this.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #64
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully we can fix some reoccurring errors we've been seeing in the first three games. I'll be concerned if we were to lose both games this weekend. This team should not be starting 1-4.
jar_e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #65
D-Red
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
lol I love this argument.

Whats going on that us "non-educated" viewers aren't catching when literal minutes go by in between pitches. Are we supposed to be enthralled by the pitcher selecting which pitch he's going to throw? or try in vain to catch someone trying to steal a base? Just cause something is happening doesn't mean it's exciting. I get that strikes, fouls and balls are important to the game, it's still boring as hell to sit through. Fact of the matter is, Baseball is mostly waiting. Waiting for that big moment. That's why a lot of people have a hard time watching it.

We should start a different thread about this.
I know it comes across as an "I'm better than you comment" but that's definitely not how I meant it. I'm just saying that when you take the time to learn the insides out of the game you are constantly analyzing, as opposed to as you mention, waiting. Pitches setting up pitches, grips, shifts, leads. Is a guy hitting his spots? Where is he pitching certain batters? How are the breaks on the pitches? What are they doing to win probability with each minuscule decision made. When you don't stop thinking how can you be bored?

I liken the education thing to when I'm watching soccer or basketball. I can't stand it and I'm bored out of my tree because all I see is run run shoot miss, run run, shoot two points, run run shoot two points, or 3 hours of jogging. In reality there's more going on that true fans see that makes it much more interesting to millions of people, that I simply just don't care enough to learn.

Having said all of that I do agree high tempo sports like hockey are much easier to get into and get excited about, especially for the casual fan. I would just never refer to baseball as boring. Especially this time of year.
D-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D-Red For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #66
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sometimes I have the same complaints polak has about baseball, about hockey to be honest. Like when we ice the luck 5 times in a row because we refuse to try a different breakout than stretch pass.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #67
smoothessence
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Worst GDT ever.
Baseball can go to hell.

Go Flames Go!
smoothessence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to smoothessence For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #68
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I liken the education thing to when I'm watching soccer or basketball. I can't stand it and I'm bored out of my tree because all I see is run run shoot miss, run run, shoot two points, run run shoot two points, or 3 hours of jogging.
I was at a Raptors exhibition game in Vancouver last year and I actually forgot numerous times what the score was because it was just the same thing over and over.

I don't watch baseball alot and my knowledge is minimal but I'd watch a full game any day over basketball, golf, and even soccer. The thing that's exciting about it especially in the playoffs is the anticipation especially in the late innings.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #69
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

ummm.... who gives a flying F*** about the Blue Jays. If you want to talk baseball, then go to another thread.

It's one thing that I hate everything Toronto or baseball related, so I stay away from anything discussing the MLB. But it's another thing to hijack a Flames GDT to discuss the intricacies of waiting infront of your TV to watch something.... anything happen during a baseball game. That crap is just plain boring.

Last edited by _Q_; 10-16-2015 at 04:03 PM.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #70
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Blue Jays! Go Flames! I am bigger Flames fan than Blue Jays fan but the Jays will be getting most of my viewing time tonight.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #71
JoelOtto29
Backup Goalie

Exp:

JoelOtto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JoelOtto29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #72
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Gio and Hamilton had a couple games in preseason where they completely took over the game. I have yet to see that happen in the regular season.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #73
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
ummm.... who gives a flying F*** about the Blue Jays. If you want to talk baseball, then go to another thread.

It's one thing that I hate everything Toronto or baseball related, so I stay away from anything discussing the MLB. But it's another thing to hijack a Flames GDT to discuss the intricacies of waiting infront of your TV to watch something.... anything happen during a baseball game. That crap is just plain boring.
Somebody brought up that it was the game is the same time as the Blue Jays game (a darn big game at that). Another poster replied with

"I'll be watching the Flames game from start to finish because baseball is the most boring team sport on the planet."

predictably, the thread is now where it is.

Go Flames! Go Blue Jays!
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #74
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I know it comes across as an "I'm better than you comment" but that's definitely not how I meant it. I'm just saying that when you take the time to learn the insides out of the game you are constantly analyzing, as opposed to as you mention, waiting. Pitches setting up pitches, grips, shifts, leads. Is a guy hitting his spots? Where is he pitching certain batters? How are the breaks on the pitches? What are they doing to win probability with each minuscule decision made. When you don't stop thinking how can you be bored?

I liken the education thing to when I'm watching soccer or basketball. I can't stand it and I'm bored out of my tree because all I see is run run shoot miss, run run, shoot two points, run run shoot two points, or 3 hours of jogging. In reality there's more going on that true fans see that makes it much more interesting to millions of people, that I simply just don't care enough to learn.

Having said all of that I do agree high tempo sports like hockey are much easier to get into and get excited about, especially for the casual fan. I would just never refer to baseball as boring. Especially this time of year.
Chess requires great strategy and complex problem solving but that doesn't make it interesting to observe. Baseball is the same, yes it is actually quite complex but even learning a lot of the subtleties still leaves it as very slow.

I don't know why we're even talking about this anyways, it's the game day thread for the jets and flames and the thread is overwhelmingly about baseball. Go make a jays thread in the off topic so people like me, whose best part of the day is the hockey game, can engage in hockey talk.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #75
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
I don't know why we're even talking about this anyways,
See above post
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #76
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So, my prediction for tonight is a 6-4 game. Loads of scoring and lots of emotion.

Flames win. Someone gets a multi goal game and we start a 10 game win streak.

Come on Flames!! Make it happen.

It should be a fun game, those youngsters for the jets are exciting players.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #77
D-Red
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
I could go on for hours about how while I understand your sentiment, your lack of understanding for the game is ultimately why you would have this (incorrect) opinion, as is with most sports any individual would find boring.

Not going to get into it on a hockey forum though, so I digress.
Personally I'll have the Flames game on the TV and the Jays game on the lap top. Yay multi-tasking!

Flames haven't seemed to be as fired up this year as last.... and I can't see that lasting long. Tonight they fly out of the gates back on track. I'm going to say 5-2 good guys. GO FLAMES GO!!
Polak then challenged my baseball take as it comes across as demeaning, to which I clarified my point. He thanked, seemed over to me....

Yet every post that follows...

Baseball sucks!! Why are we even talking about Baseball!! Rabble!! Rabble!! Then oddly followed by a baseball take.....

Like I said, I'll be watching both... there are a couple early story lines in this game I am really interested in. How's Sam going to be on the wing? Will he be back at centre before the games over? How will Frolik be against his old squad? Does Jooris have a good enough game in him to lock down a spot in the line-up for tomorrow? If Ramo can play well enough does he get the back to back? I'm stoked kids.
D-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #78
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else thinking a rivalry is starting to heat up between these two?
Old 10-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #79
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
Anyone else thinking a rivalry is starting to heat up between these two?
I hope so.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #80
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I missed Ball and Hrudey so much.

Tags
burnthefuselage , groundthejets , gtd , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin