Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 10:24 AM   #501
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Apple is nixing production of their headset due to poor sales. Haven't out right killed it but they have cut production. Didn't even get released outside the US. Not a good sign moving forwards.
I got to try one out last week, and while it's nowhere near worth $5000 CDN to me, it did do some well enough that at $2000 I'd give it a look. It felt overly "iPhone pre App Store" to me. Very much like a dev kit.

I found it highly intuitive thanks to the eye tracking and hand gestures. Most surprising for me was the video quality. Most reviews I saw gushed about the pass-through quality, and while good, I can't say I'd want to spend more than a few hours in that.

Watching a movie though? It was probably the first time I could see myself watching an entire film in it. Being able to nope out of your surroundings and have a giant screen in front of you on a forest backdrop (or whatever) was super cool. The quality was better than my TV, which I didn't really expect. Usually I find the blurry edges way too distracting in a headset to watch a movie, but this was fantastic.

It might just need a generation or two to bring that price down. My buddy who was showing me his works in 3D design, and they are having actual meetings with Apple on how to improve it, so it certainly feels like a pre-consumer type device. Get it to $1500 and pair it with a proper App Store, and maybe they've got something.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:07 PM   #502
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Apple is nixing production of their headset due to poor sales. Haven't out right killed it but they have cut production. Didn't even get released outside the US. Not a good sign moving forwards.
What a surprise, a VR headset comparable to the Quest 3 but without any games and 5x the price isn't selling well. No idea what Apple was thinking on this one, it was pretty obvious to any unbiased tech follower that this thing was going to be dead on arrival
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:24 AM   #503
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can't really comment on the technology itself. Never used a headset and really have no desire to ever do so. Was more thinking about the hype around this and how it pretty much failed miserably. Not sure why Apple felt compelled to release an subpar, very far from finished product at such a price. It was not like they were first to the market. Last I heard Microsoft was investing heavily into its software for the headsets. Wonder where that stands?

Apple in general is weird right now. There release cycle is a mess and there is no road map. I cannot get an answer out of a business sales rep if they are going to release M3 based Studios and Pros in the next few months. This seems like this is something they should be aware of. The M4 chip is coming out in an Ipad just as you release the M3 chip in laptops? At some point people will catch on and stop upgrading yearly.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:12 AM   #504
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
I can't really comment on the technology itself. Never used a headset and really have no desire to ever do so. Was more thinking about the hype around this and how it pretty much failed miserably. Not sure why Apple felt compelled to release an subpar, very far from finished product at such a price. It was not like they were first to the market. Last I heard Microsoft was investing heavily into its software for the headsets. Wonder where that stands?
It makes no sense, if this was a pre-consumer tech proofing device, then why send it off to so many social influencers to hype it up. It's an apple product, they know it'll be hyped regardless when it's released to the masses, so why do it this way.