Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:
Default Autonomous Driving Features in Cars 2020

None of my cars have any autonomous driving features, but I'm interested in how far this tech has come. My wife in particular would love to have stop-and-go autonomous driving for her commute, and I have to admit, the thought of that feature is very appealing as I traverse the city from the good end of town to Winsport three times a week in the winter, two of those drives being in rush hour.

FWIW, I love to drive and would still have a 'driver's car' in my fleet. Like most people, though, crawling along in bumper to bumper is hardly a great driving experience and if we could virtually eliminate the frustration of that from our lives that would be awesome.

I hear great things about Kia/Hyundai. The Mercedes system seems good, too. Tesla as well. From what I know, it seems Kia/Hyundai and Tesla are the best.

Anybody have any experience with any of these systems? Do you use it all the time, or is it meh?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Here's a video that talks about Kia's system a bit:

The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
None of my cars have any autonomous driving features, but I'm interested in how far this tech has come. My wife in particular would love to have stop-and-go autonomous driving for her commute, and I have to admit, the thought of that feature is very appealing as I traverse the city from the good end of town to Winsport three times a week in the winter, two of those drives being in rush hour.

FWIW, I love to drive and would still have a 'driver's car' in my fleet. Like most people, though, crawling along in bumper to bumper is hardly a great driving experience and if we could virtually eliminate the frustration of that from our lives that would be awesome.

I hear great things about Kia/Hyundai. The Mercedes system seems good, too. Tesla as well. From what I know, it seems Kia/Hyundai and Tesla are the best.

Anybody have any experience with any of these systems? Do you use it all the time, or is it meh?
Nothing to add other than the good end of town (NW) is only 10 minutes from Winsport.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a fairly decent system in our X3, just drove all the way to Vancouver with it on.

My biggest complaint is the following distance the car wants to maintain, on the closest setting, it's still far enough back that with active cruise it takes off slowly from lights and traffic slowdowns. Kind of annoying if you're cruising in the left lane and a struggler slowly gets over to let you pass. You end up looking like a struggler yourself.

Since it's a BMW I wish it would hover just off the bumper of the car in front to maintain the BMW jerk notoriety.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
We have a fairly decent system in our X3, just drove all the way to Vancouver with it on.

My biggest complaint is the following distance the car wants to maintain, on the closest setting, it's still far enough back that with active cruise it takes off slowly from lights and traffic slowdowns. Kind of annoying if you're cruising in the left lane and a struggler slowly gets over to let you pass. You end up looking like a struggler yourself.

Since it's a BMW I wish it would hover just off the bumper of the car in front to maintain the BMW jerk notoriety.
Haha that's hilarious.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:04 AM   #6
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm driving a rental Tuscon right now and it has lane assist which is pretty cool. I was impressed at how well it worked to keep me in my lane. Not as useful in the city but it was awesome for the highway. I know usually after 8 hours my wrists get sore from holding the wheel but the Tuscon takes all the effort out of it.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'm driving a rented 2020 Explorer with all that nanny garbage and it sucks, but I'm not the typical driver. I do drive a lot but take frequent breaks so my arms don't get tired enough that I can't keep two hands on the wheel at all times. And I'm hyper-vigilant so my attention is focused.

The lane keep assist is helpful in rush hour traffic but that's only a small percentage of the driving I do. Driving on the highway during mid-day when it's quiet, it usually starts slowing down right as I'm about to pass someone, defeating the purpose of cruise control.

I like the overhead 360 camera for parking though. It's like a video game.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I like the overhead 360 camera for parking though. It's like a video game.
What!? That’s a thing?? Amazing.

I know it isn’t the point of the thread, but I like this feature more than the rest so far.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #9
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, that's a baller feature. I've had it in my last two F-150's and it's amazing for parking a truck in a tight parking spot.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #10
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
What!? That’s a thing?? Amazing.

I know it isn’t the point of the thread, but I like this feature more than the rest so far.
Yeah, it's like this:

The BMW system is even cooler.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #11
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anecdotal, but here’s a story about the Hyundai Palisade’s adaptive cruise system.

If you put a teetering two story butter cream wedding cake in your nervous bride-to-be’s lap, you can drive from Glamorgan to Azuridge entirely under the control of the computer system, without touching pedals, and the cake will arrive untipped.

I work for Hyundai, so take it for what it’s worth. PM me for pictures of the cake, anyone in need of high quality baked goods would do well to call on Sweets by Melissa.

Further to that point, anyone interested in driving a Palisade, or any Hyundai, should feel free to PM as well.

Adaptive cruise control is the safest thing that has ever been put into cars. Bar none. “Meh” is not an adjective I’d use to describe it in the least.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 08-12-2020 at 04:51 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #12
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Anecdotal, but here’s a story about the Hyundai Palisade’s adaptive cruise system.

If you put a teetering two story butter cream wedding cake in your nervous bride-to-be’s lap, you can drive from Glamorgan to Azuridge entirely under the control of the computer system, and the cake will arrive untipped.

I work for Hyundai, so take it for what it’s worth. PM me for pictures of the cake, anyone in need of high quality baked goods would do well to call on Sweets by Melissa.

Further to that point, anyone interested in driving a Palisade, or any Hyundai, should feel free to PM as well.
If I was in the market for a full-sized family SUV the Palisade would be my first choice. Great styling and crazy features for the price. Hyundai doesn't have a minivan anymore, do they?
Old 08-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #13
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If I was in the market for a full-sized family SUV the Palisade would be my first choice. Great styling and crazy features for the price. Hyundai doesn't have a minivan anymore, do they?
They do not - Palisade or bust, I’m afraid. You do have 18 cubic feet of space behind the 3rd row with the seats up, and the two most popular teams offer 2nd row captain’s chairs.

In the top Calligraphy trim, the rear captains are heated and air conditioned.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #14
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

nm, server fart

Last edited by DownInFlames; 08-12-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #15
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bird's eye camera is great for those tricky drive thrus. It's saved us from curb rashing wheels a few times already.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #16
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
They do not - Palisade or bust, I’m afraid. You do have 18 cubic feet of space behind the 3rd row with the seats up, and the two most popular teams offer 2nd row captain’s chairs.

In the top Calligraphy trim, the rear captains are heated and air conditioned.
Thanks. I need cargo room (4'x'8' sheets and 2'x2'x4' boxes) so that's a no go. I drove a Sedona and it was nice. They should rebadge it.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:13 PM   #17
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. I need cargo room (4'x'8' sheets and 2'x2'x4' boxes) so that's a no go. I drove a Sedona and it was nice. They should rebadge it.
I think a new Sedona is coming out next year.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #18
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tesla Autopilot vs Full Self Driving (FSD). There are currently a few differences between the two but it's expected the gap will widen by the end of this year or early next. Autopilot will steer your car in a lane and keep it at speeds you can set from your steering wheel controls. It will not react to red lights and stop signs. For that you need FSD. FSD will stop you, will change lanes for you, and will take exits on the highway for you. Autopilot will not change lanes, will not take exits and will not stop at red lights and stop signs. That's about it. Is that worth the extra money for FSD? Right now I figure no and didn't purchase it. Down the road you will be able to say, "Take me to work," and it will take all the turns and so on for you. Maybe then it will be worth it but Tesla says it will be more expensive. You can add FSD at any point in time, the hardware is already in the car.

I will say that autopilot is pretty cool. Many of my drives, at least 2/3 of it is on autopilot. It will keep you in your lane and will follow other cars. If they stop at a red light, my car stops. When they start going again, my car goes. The car will not turn left or right on its own. If you are in front or the only car, then you have to stop and start on your own and keep pressing the Autopilot start button.

One scary aspect is that autopilot, and I assume FSD, do not recognize Calgary school/playground zones. So the car will not slow down for them! This is one reason I do not use autopilot in residential areas. It does speed up and slow down in other areas where it recognizes the speed change.

Another reason for not using it in residential areas is a lack of lines. This causes Autopilot to assume it has 1 giant lane instead of 2 lanes (one parking + one driving). Then it attempts to drive right down the middle of them. Too nerve-wracking for me. It would be better if it used the yellow middle line and then some sort of offset algorithm. Amusingly, it recognizes our garbage/recycle bins and draws them on the display as garbage/recycle bins.

The car does seem to react to a possible accident. I was driving on Stoney. Someone drove into an exit and slowed down. Then they cut back across into my lane, still going slow. There was an alarm sound and I swear the car started braking a split second before I mashed the brakes. I'm not about to go and retry it but I definitely feel the car began stopping before I reacted.

ers
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #19
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I'm driving a rental Tuscon right now and it has lane assist which is pretty cool. I was impressed at how well it worked to keep me in my lane. Not as useful in the city but it was awesome for the highway. I know usually after 8 hours my wrists get sore from holding the wheel but the Tuscon takes all the effort out of it.
We rented a vehicle last year with that feature and the one concern was driving in construction zones where you have to follow lanes marked by pylons. The vehicle continually tried to ignore where you were trying to head and kept trying to put you in the lane that was closed.

Otherwise, no problem.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #20
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

When it comes to adaptive cruise you will want a system that uses the both camera and radar systems. Adaptive cruise combined with lane keep assist make long drives quite relaxing and stress free. Lane keep assist is a good feature too when conditions permit (lines painted, road plowed etc...). There is also a minimum speed requirement in order to activate this system, which I belive is 60 km/h in most vehicles. Each brand has their own intricacies with this system, the best so far in my opinion is in the Lincolns which actually have lane centring. This keeps you right in the middle of the lane at all times vs many other systems that allow you to nearly drift out of your lane before over correcting you. You will find that adaptive cruise and forward collision alert are throu out most brands at nearly entry level models now vs 5 years ago when these safety features barely existed in North American brands.

360 cameras good for tight spaces, at low speeds. The systems only function up to a speed of 8- 12km/h, the birds eye view comes from the images of 4 cameras and those image s get patched together to give the overhead picture. Good feature if you like getting right between the parking lines or need to cram both vehicles in the garage due to hail storm coming.

Self parking is a cool feature but by the time most people have mastered to use of these systems, they would've been further ahead by simply learning to park on their own. Self parking is not a perfected technology yet.

Auto dimming headlights are a huge benefit if you're do a lot of hi way driving, one of the most convenient options that exists.

What if find I use the most on a day to day basis is voice pass through This feature exists in so many vehicles and is not really that new, yet most owners don't know they have it or have never been shown how to use it. As an apple user turning your car into Siri can be extremely helpful and save you from distracted driving fines.

As I said above autonomous features which barely existed 5 years ago or were reserved only for luxury brands or top trim levels are now prevalent throughout all brands at near entry level trims. There is increasing demand for these features, the technology is cheaper, and helps you save on insurance premiums for most companies.

Quote:

If you put a teetering two story butter cream wedding cake in your nervous bride-to-be’s lap, you can drive from Glamorgan to Azuridge entirely under the control of the computer system, without touching pedals, and the cake will arrive untipped.

Adaptive cruise control is the safest thing that has ever been put into cars. Bar none. “Meh” is not an adjective I’d use to describe it in the least.
Well there has to at 20 safety features and technology advances over the years that make your car safer then adaptive cruise. Electronic power steering, traction control, backup camera, advance roll over airbags, automatic braking, Bluetooth, to name just a few. There are also cases where it can prove not so beneficial; When there has been a significant speed limit decrease, from say 100 down to 70, down to 50 and you change lanes into one with clear sailing. If your not on top of things, you will accelerate right up to 100 in the 50 zone. Another case is where a young driver has learned to drive using adaptive cruise in moms SUV and then gets a car of their own that does not have the option and BAMMMMM rear end someone on the hi way. First hand experience with both of these...

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 08-12-2020 at 10:57 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post: