Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sportsnet Now

Looking at adding it for the next couple months for NBA & NHL action - anyone else use it? Is it worth the money? How's the quality?

Will be running off PS4, NVidia Shield, or my phone...

Thanks!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Use it once and a while on PS4, watched Canucks Wild with it last night. Never had any issues. Quality seems good. I’m watching on a smaller TV though so the difference between good quality and amazing isn’t as noticeable.

My one gripe is you can’t watch anything without landing on the main headline page so prepare to be spoiled if you’re trying to watch a replay.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Looking at adding it for the next couple months for NBA & NHL action - anyone else use it? Is it worth the money? How's the quality?

Will be running off PS4, NVidia Shield, or my phone...

Thanks!
I had it a few years ago and I loved it. I think it is definitely worth the money, but I watched a ton of baseball with it as well.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #4
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

It's my main hockey feed, quality is as good or better than cable in my experience. Infinitely better than TSN Go because it's in 60fps, not 30fps like TSN
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

App for the Device isn't necessarily a show stopper. Don't forget you can 'cast' to whatever TV you want from your phone or laptop. That said it sounds like Shield is supported.

My biggest beef is that on PC I sometimes have to enter a specific Sportsnet West URL to force it to SN West. Seems to default to SN Ontario.

Looks like 720HD6M is the max I can do on PC. Might be a problem if you're a tech spec purist, but it's fine for me.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Used it for the game on Saturday and used Airplay from my iPhone to the TV. Quality was great.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:40 PM   #7
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It's my main hockey feed, quality is as good or better than cable in my experience. Infinitely better than TSN Go because it's in 60fps, not 30fps like TSN
How are you using it?

I have Shaw but have thought about ditching it...I cast sportsnet now on one input and Cable on another and flip back and forth. Cable seems quite a bit better to me so its holding me back.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #8
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of TSN, very annoying you can't use it on Playstation after all these years.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #9
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, this would have worked for me yesterday. Had our friends over for a BBQ and they're Leafs fans. I thought, I'd be a nice guy and play the game on my tablet but cast it to a smaller TV that I'll put on my deck. Nope. The Shaw app won't let you cast, at least not sports. So I let him sit with the tablet on his lap while the kids sat inside in the a/c watching on the big screen. Something wasn't right with the picture.

But now I see that I can use Sportsnet Now app to cast it to any TV or screen, and since I subscribe to a cable service with Sportsnet that I have free access. Now that I know this It may be more exciting for me to watch hockey on the deck.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Well, this would have worked for me yesterday. Had our friends over for a BBQ and they're Leafs fans. I thought, I'd be a nice guy and play the game on my tablet but cast it to a smaller TV that I'll put on my deck. Nope. The Shaw app won't let you cast, at least not sports. So I let him sit with the tablet on his lap while the kids sat inside in the a/c watching on the big screen. Something wasn't right with the picture.

But now I see that I can use Sportsnet Now app to cast it to any TV or screen, and since I subscribe to a cable service with Sportsnet that I have free access. Now that I know this It may be more exciting for me to watch hockey on the deck.
Ya I did a Nvidia Shield with the SNOW app plugged via HDMI into a computer monitor (with built in sound bar) on my deck for the Flames yesterday. Super simple and worked awesome.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #11
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And you can pause the feed and jump backwards in the stream to see something again. I can't see to be able to do that with TSN.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #12
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
How are you using it?

I have Shaw but have thought about ditching it...I cast sportsnet now on one input and Cable on another and flip back and forth. Cable seems quite a bit better to me so its holding me back.
Mostly on my Nvidia Shield, SN Now has a native Android TV app that works great. I was casting it from my phone to the Shield before they came out with the native app, I did notice a quality difference between them
Old 08-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #13
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far it is great, just one question - it appears to have defaulted me to SN Ontario - how can I change that to SNWest so I wont ever miss the start of the Western games?

This is for PS4 and Android TV apps.

Thanks!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #14
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

If you go into the Android TV app, it should show all of the regional feeds in the Sportnet Now menu. Mine always has SN West as the first one to click on
Old 08-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #15
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have an Amazon Fire stick you can download SN on that as well. So far so good.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #16
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else have issues with the audio being delayed behind the video? I find this on my Chromecast and the PS4 app. It appears to be worse on SNW when compared to SNO for some reason.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:49 PM   #17
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yes but I only notice during intermission. It’s close enough during play it doesn’t bother me.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #18
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad I'm not the only one.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote