Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Blinky Flashy - DIY Home LED Lighting Project Thread

As promised from our discussions in the LED Home install thread I wanted to create a separate thread for anyone interested in DIY Led projects. It seems to be quite the rabbit hole to fall into and after 10 years I have finally taken the plunge. I am more interested into trying to make the lights blink to music for a Christmas display but I am sure I will find other one off projects as I build up my skill set for that.

There is a wide variety of hardware you can utilize to make this happen however I decided to start basic with a couple of components and will build out accordingly. So far this is what I have purchased:

F8 PocketBeagle - Linux based board that has a customized "cape" for driving RGB led lights
PocketScroller - Linux based board that has a customized "cape" for driving Led p5/p10 panels (think energy board at saddledome)
ESpixNode- which is a board that is wireless and uses espicelstick software to drive a smaller amount of lights remotely through wifi

50 RGB ws8211 pixel nodes (the actual lights) to play around with making them flash. I also purchased a couple of ws2811 strip lights to mess around with but they are coming from china and will take forever to get here.

I chose to use free software of x-lights to start programming lights to music as well as FPP (Falcon Pi Player) which is a software that actually runs everything on my F8 Pocketbeagle.

If anyone else is interested in following along with my creations or wants to try it out as well feel free to jump in here or ask questions.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I finally got around to making my first project. The LED strips used aren’t fastened to the window I just threw them up quickly for testing. iPhone doesn’t do a great job picking up the yellow light but you get the idea.

I present flames goal song

https://youtu.be/ZPz1XOtCFgk

Last edited by fundmark19; 03-16-2019 at 01:35 PM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

<bump!>

I'm curious how this turned out long term? My least favorite part of Christmas is scaling my roof to put up lights. I bought a used scaffold to paint my exterior, and am thinking maybe I should be doing this as well.

I'm probably not clever enough to program a raspberry pi myself, I'd prefer to pay for off the shelf software, and would love recommendations on that!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote