Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #41
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If the Flames are spending assets and making moves to acquire players because they're familiar with Dave freaking Cameron, then I strongly question Treliving's level of loyalty.
Curtis Lazar says hi.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #42
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Curtis Lazar says hi.
I think that's the point Scorp is trying to make. It's a mistake.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #43
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'd take Smith only if they take Brouwer, but why would they do that - even if they thought Brouwer would turn it around, that's not why they are selling.
They wouldn't. You'd need to take back some of Brouwer's salary (I figure at least as much as to make it cash neutral) and then pay the futures cost for Smith. I mean maybe you can sell Dorion that they're getting Troy Brouwer for 'free' I wouldn't but who knows (I'd rather have the dollars).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #44
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

They spelled Mark Stone wrong
Old 01-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #45
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Assuming Brouwer even waives his NTC, would anyone consider a Smith for Brouwer swap if we retained 50% of Brouwer's salary? That's the only way I see Ottawa accepting Brouwer's contract. We add more salary, but we get rid of Brouwer's dead weight and add a younger player and inject more speed into the lineup.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #46
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Assuming Brouwer even waives his NTC, would anyone consider a Smith for Brouwer swap if we retained 50% of Brouwer's salary? That's the only way I see Ottawa accepting Brouwer's contract. We add more salary, but we get rid of Brouwer's dead weight and add a younger player and inject more speed into the lineup.

They are both terrible players. Not worth giving up extra cap space for whatsoever.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #47
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Assuming Brouwer even waives his NTC, would anyone consider a Smith for Brouwer swap if we retained 50% of Brouwer's salary?
No. Smith at 5.5M (His contract + 50% of Brouwer) is maybe worse then Brouwer at 4.5M.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #48
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes no sense unless a player like Brouwer is going the other way.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #49
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
subtract 2.25M of Brouwer, add 3.25M of Smith with an additional year past Brouwer's, and hope that the supposed wheels stay on a guy who turns 30 in a few months?

it would be more efficient to just buy out Brouwer and promote a young guy from our system that actually stands a chance of getting better, or at the very least not falling off a cliff the way Brouwer did when he came on board at the same age?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #50
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like this guys game way more than Brouwer. Not to say I want him here.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #51
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Dube on the 4th line next season would be terrible for his development. Give him at least one season in the AHL to play a bunch of minutes.
Given the way GG handles the 4L (more minutes than the average 4L) and how many minutes Dube would get in the typical shorter AHL season I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have him up here.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #52
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no doubt the Flames are looking at the Sens but it would be at Stone or Hoffman.

I just don't see why we'd want to acquire Smith's contract though.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #53
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I suppose it could be a sign they aren't close to signing Backlund and are prepared to move on.
I've thought this too, and to Comix Zone's point this is beginning to paint a picture. As a Backlund fan this concerns me though I would understand the team's trepidation if the sticking point was his ask vs. his age.

As for Smith, I would imagine the Flames are kicking his tires rather than say, Hoffman, because the Sens are looking to shed salary and the cost for the Flames would probably be a B prospect or future(s).

Last edited by Toonage; 01-09-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #54
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Given the way GG handles the 4L (more minutes than the average 4L) and how many minutes Dube would get in the typical shorter AHL season I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have him up here.
Sure, but I still think a year in the AHL would be more beneficial. I think Dube is going to be an NHL player but I don't think he's a top tier guy that should necessarily jump into the line-up right away.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #55
Toonage

Exp:

He was one of if not the last cuts this past camp. In my opinion he's on this team next season.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:52 AM   #56
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #57
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith would not be coming in to replace Brouwer. Smith would be coming in to replace Backlund. Flames are looking for a guy that can play center, score 10-20 goals, be defensively responsible, and have a decent cap hit. Smith checks those boxes off. If this happens, it feels like a prelude to moving Backlund.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #58
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Smith would not be coming in to replace Brouwer. Smith would be coming in to replace Backlund. Flames are looking for a guy that can play center, score 10-20 goals, be defensively responsible, and have a decent cap hit. Smith checks those boxes off. If this happens, it feels like a prelude to moving Backlund.
Replacing Backlund with Zack effing Smith would be a horrendous decision and would probably kill any faith and interest I have left in this franchise.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #59
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
subtract 2.25M of Brouwer, add 3.25M of Smith with an additional year past Brouwer's, and hope that the supposed wheels stay on a guy who turns 30 in a few months?

it would be more efficient to just buy out Brouwer and promote a young guy from our system that actually stands a chance of getting better, or at the very least not falling off a cliff the way Brouwer did when he came on board at the same age?
See I thought about that, but buying him out means $1.5m in dead cap space until 2022. the additional million over 2 years isn't ideal, but I'd rather take a chance on an improvement on Troy Brouwer any day. It's better than the alternative of having BOTH players and their combined cap hits on the same roster (assuming we're actually interested in Smith).
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #60
home_sweet_dome
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If the Flames replace Backlund with Zack Smith they are dumber than the Oilers.

I'd rather pay Backlund $6.5m/year for the next 3 years than Zack Smith $3.25/year

Stop tying up significant $$ and term on crappy bottom 6 players.
home_sweet_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to home_sweet_dome For This Useful Post: