Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #5781
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Good post, but I would argue that it is possible that the Flames are keeping Dougie with Gio simply because he is their future D1 and because he is so young still, they want him learning from their best.

I don't see it as strange at all. As good as he is, and also because of his flaws, Hamilton is not yet a finished product. I see it as another example of the patience that is characteristic of the Flames management group.
I also think they probably are leaving Hamilton with Giordano because together they are a pretty dominate defense pairing. More so than Brodie and Gio were and in the playoffs they can choose to up their minutes if need be to close to 30 a night. Chicago did this most of the time with Keith and Seabrooke

I also think they the other 2 units aren't anywhere near as bad as most claim they are

As much as adding Hoffman would be nice if they go that route IMO they should consider it only if they can package prospects to get him. They can easily keep Hoffman and Brodie and resign Backlund, Jankowski and Kulak. To me this is the best chance of turning into a contender is adding someone without subtracting. But that would mean at least one of Fox or Valimaki would be going back and possibly a Mangipane.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #5782
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding Hoffman...

Like many here, I think he would be a great addition to the team. Having one more scoring winger would be a real boost to the offense.

Bennett - Jankowski - Hoffman would be a heck of a 2nd scoring line.

My concern however, is that he is 28 already, and is pretty one-dimensional. In a couple years, he is going to have a pretty hefty contract. And I am concerned that his game will erode quickly. If he loses a step, he becomes a contract-anchor pretty quickly.

meanwhile, if we were to trade Brodie for him, in 2 years, Brodie is just in the heart of prime-defenseman years. And with his effortless skating, I think Brodie remains effective longer than most players.

So that trade could start looking horrendous pretty quickly.

Now, if we could get him for something like Mangiapane and Kylington? I'm all for that.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #5783
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The D is finally playing to their potential and Brodie/Hamonic are playing well finally, leave the D alone. If you can flip some prospects for help at forward than fine but I think we really have enough depth there as well, we will get Frolik back and possibly Versteeg as well. The kids have come up and been more than alright, I say unless it is a no brainer we are fine holding the fort.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #5784
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

McKenzie asked on the TSN Quiz about the best fit for Evander Kane, and he chose Calgary without a doubt.

Doesn't necessarily think Kane will land in Calgary, but he matches our needs best. Also mentioned the rumoured cost likely doesn't look appetizing to Treliving.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #5785
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Also mentioned the rumoured cost likely doesn't look appetizing to Treliving.
Or anyone in their right mind. I imagine the ask will come down the closer to the deadline we get however.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #5786
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
McKenzie asked on the TSN Quiz about the best fit for Evander Kane, and he chose Calgary without a doubt.

Doesn't necessarily think Kane will land in Calgary, but he matches our needs best. Also mentioned the rumoured cost likely doesn't look appetizing to Treliving.
did he explain why it was a good fit?

there's plenty of teams that can use a scoring winger; not sure why Calgary is any better than those other teams

i remain steadfast in my belief Calgary needs to steer clear from a guy like that
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #5787
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

there's plenty of teams that can use a scoring winger; not sure why Calgary is any better than those other teams

i remain steadfast in my belief Calgary needs to steer clear from a guy like that
I think specifically it would be for three reasons ~ not sure what Bob said but how I see it he would come into a situation that fit in numerous ways,

1. He would add more grit to the line-up
2. Fits in with the age group of the core
3. Offensively bolsters top 9 and allows for even more scoring balance

Those 3 main reasons are what make him a great fit for the Flames

Detracts would be

1. Attitude problems/distraction
2. Lefty shot
3. Unsure of commitment/UFA status
4. Supposed/rumoured cost of acquiring him is ridiculous

Again ~ Not sure what BM's reasoning was that had him seeing Calgary as the best fit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #5788
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

Here's the segment:
https://www.tsn.ca/video/the-quiz-wh...-s-end~1304775

Relevant part starts at 2:45.

McKenzie says:
Quote:
"Calgary Flames no doubt about it for me. Now that's not necessarily where I think he'll end up, but that's the best fit. That's precisely what they need. They need that big, strong, skating, scoring winger that can slot in where they initially pencilled in Jaromir Jagr to go in. The one thing though about Evander Kane, the price is so high and Brad Treliving and the Calgary Flames do not like paying big prices for rentals, in fact they don't like rentals at all."
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #5789
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Soo...Kane to Flames with 7 year extension...E5?

I’m happy that Mckenzie is out there saying the Flames don’t like rentals, because I generally think rentals are an awful waste.

So trading for Kane as a rental, I wouldn’t be on board with....with an extension though, I feel like I could get behind that.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #5790
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving’s stated approach is to build from the back end out. Little to no chance he trades one of the current NHL D’s
Old 01-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #5791
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

thanks for the responses guys...

hoping that Mackenzie is right and that it is too rich for Calgary.

i am not a fan of big moves that can affect a team's chemistry, especially when the team is firing on all cylinders.

reminds me of acquiring Brad Stuart at the expense of Ference and some other pieces...Calgary never seemed to get back on a roll after that trade iirc so ever since its something I think needs to be evaluated very closely, and not simply by stats.

EDIT: well, hopefully the segment is correct, as the other two panelists picked Pittsburgh as Kane's destination... O'Neill is not a fan of the player - the second time I've seem him say that about Kane. You need a strong veteran locker room to bring a guy like Kane on, so Pittsburgh would be ideal when it comes to that.

The NHL is a small place; if the stories on Kane being toxic are true it will be interesting to see who trades for him and for what price.

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-16-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #5792
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t like the idea of EK with us. He’d most likely mellow out with how the locker room is here, but I’m not taking that risk.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #5793
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why give up major assets at the deadline when you can simply take a run at him in free agency a few months later? I'm fine with running with the team assembled to the end of the season as I think it's good enough to make the playoffs and win a round or two. If the GM thinks he would be a solid addition then put together a good contract offer and presentation for July 1st. At the end of the day he's a scoring winger but he's not a superstar or elite player and the price is simply way too much for a player it appears they don't want on their team.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #5794
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Regarding Hoffman...

Like many here, I think he would be a great addition to the team. Having one more scoring winger would be a real boost to the offense.

Bennett - Jankowski - Hoffman would be a heck of a 2nd scoring line.

My concern however, is that he is 28 already, and is pretty one-dimensional. In a couple years, he is going to have a pretty hefty contract. And I am concerned that his game will erode quickly. If he loses a step, he becomes a contract-anchor pretty quickly.

meanwhile, if we were to trade Brodie for him, in 2 years, Brodie is just in the heart of prime-defenseman years. And with his effortless skating, I think Brodie remains effective longer than most players.

So that trade could start looking horrendous pretty quickly.

Now, if we could get him for something like Mangiapane and Kylington? I'm all for that.
I get the temptation to play-it-safe, don't want to trade Brodie because who knows what he could turn into in two years. (My guess is Brodie is what you see is what you get, a top 4 D who will tantalize you with ever greater upside but who's ultimate a D man with too many flaws to be anything more than a second pairing guy). But sure, assuming he still could turn into a legit #2D would you not make this trade still?

To me, it looks like this team still needs something to get over the hump and go deep. That something is most obviously more scoring, they need to push Frolik down to the 3rd line. Not because Frolik isn't good but because they need more attack and goal scoring in the top two lines.

And I mean, you don't win the Cup playing it safe necessarily. The goal here is not to be like Minnesota and always make it into the playoffs. The goal is win it all. If you're the Flames right now and you have no prospects with this current version of the team to graduate top line talent then you need to trade for it. I guess my point is that to hit a home run you need to take a big swing.

Is Hoffman the guy? Odds are no, he's not, but odds are Brodie in the lineup this year or next is also not the guy to lift the Flames into the Stanley Cup round. I hope Treliving is bold here. We have one of the best players in the league in his prime right now, we don't know when his prime will end either, it could last over the next 6 seasons like Patrick Kane or it could burn in over the next couple seasons. We have a 35 year old goalie with the third best sv% in the league. We have a 35 year old #1 D man still dominating out there. We have one of the best shut down lines in the league lead by a guy who's going to be a UFA at the end of the season. Everything is pointing to going all in here. We have almost all of the ingredients. The window is now.

It's not, lets wait and see if Brodie gets better while the whole team potentially plateaus. It's what can we do right now, to beat Anaheim, Nashville, and Vegas (and Tampa Bay). I just don't get how some people have, what I believe to be, misplaced priorities here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #5795
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Would love to see the Flames pull Christian Fischer out of Arizona. Big, young RW, shoots right, quietly putting up a not bad rookie season on a bad team.

Chayka probably wouldn't let him go for cheap, but maybe he's drunk and doesn't like the advanced stats he sees.

Probably wouldn't cost as much as Buffalo is asking for Kane.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #5796
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Misplaced priorities?

I don't see Brodie as a project, like you are suggesting. I merely suggested that he will continue to be a solid asset for years, whereas Hoffman has a much shorter shelf life. I agree that they have an opportunity now, but IMO, the Flames will have multiple opportunities over the next several years. You talk like it is a short window, which I don't agree with at all.

I think Brodie is a solid defenseman, and the Flames have a solid D. And that's how you win championships.

Could they use more scoring? Sure. But weakening the D to do it makes no sense to me. You win championships with depth on D.

Again, if you can add some scoring without giving up a significant asset off the roster, then great. But adding a scorer with what is likely only a couple years of impact play left, at the cost of a defenseman that has years left (including his best years), makes no sense.

The Flames are just beginning to enter the contender phase. Mortgaging the future to go all in this year seems like the misplaced priorities to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #5797
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just say no to using a lot of assets for any left shooting forwards! The left side is full as it is. A right shooting winger could pay big dividends on the power play, but the Flames don't need any other left shooters, unless the deal is just too good to pass up.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #5798
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Philly isn't doing that great. I hope they drop out of playoff contention before the deadline and consider trading Simmonds. I've been jonesing for him for a while, and I think he'd fit in seamlessly.

I wonder what it would take.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #5799
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoffman is tempting though you have to admit...

On a bad Sens team he has 11 G / 18 A / 29 PTS / 42 GP / 58 point pace with just 22 goals which would be a low for him but if he was put into a situation like Calgary there is a high probability that he could gain another 5 or so goals to bring him back up to his last 3 year average.

27 G / 21 A / 48 PTS / 79 GP +16
29 G / 30 A / 59 PTS / 78 GP +1
26 G / 35 A / 61 PTS / 74 GP +17
11 G / 18 A / 29 PTS / 42 GP -9

I think he has at least another 3 to 4 years of 25 goal seasons in him and his above stat lines show that he has been steadily improving each year and while not improving this year he's sticking close to his previous 3 year totals on a terribly inconsistent Sens team. He's like a winger Monahan lite and there is nothing bad about having a guy like him join the team... but to me it wouldn't just have to see a guy like Brodie dealt but we would have to move a guy like Frolik too up front to allow the space.. I just don't see Treliving doing anything major at this point with how the guys are rolling and knowing that some injuries are going to come back into the line-up after the all-star break.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #5800
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Philly isn't doing that great. I hope they drop out of playoff contention before the deadline and consider trading Simmonds. I've been jonesing for him for a while, and I think he'd fit in seamlessly.

I wonder what it would take.
No doubt in my mind he would be lights out on this team.. I could see him fitting in well with Bennett/Jankowski ~ that line would be a possession monster for the opposition... absolute nightmare to contain and I could see him fitting great with Tkachuk/Backlund as well.

As for said cost... again like above I think we might have to see a guy like Frolik going the other way and that's not to say that I'm not a Frolik fan.. I think someone said in another thread that Hudler is the best free agent signing they'd seen in their time as a Flames fan; I see Frolik definitely making that short list he's been awesome so far for us but I could see this as a potential upgrade and a chance to spread the scoring. Cost is going to be a roster player and considerable futures for a guy like Simmonds though.

Frolik
Fox
Gillies
Mid pick

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Bennett - Jankowski - Simmonds
Tkachuk - Backlund - Hathaway
Mangiapane - Stajan - Brouwer

I don't know if that's enough or too much but Simmonds would be a sick fit here no doubt; he is approaching 30 and will be next year during his contract season but he would fit in nicely.
Closed Thread