Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default iPhone 4 photo orientation glitch?

I've had my iphone 4 for 3 days and I've had to restart it twice because in the photo viewer the orientation was locked. Everything else would orientate depending on how I held it (apps, safari, etc), but not photo viewer. Am I just locking it without realizing and if so how do I unlocked photo orientation? Is this a known issue?
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are these photos you imported or took with the camera?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

To lock and unlock manually you have to double tap the home button, swipe left for the ipod controls and hit the orientation button. That's an odd thing to do by accident, but possible.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Are these photos you imported or took with the camera?
imported. a friend of mine with an iphone 4 says she sees this every once so often.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does restarting the phone actually fix the issue temporarily?

Does it rotate the photo but do it wrong (portrait when it should be landscape and vice versa) or is it truly stuck in one orientation and wont rotate at all?

I have seen the former but not the later.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stuck in one orientation, and a reboot fixes it. Also when I'm going thru a c train tunnel it takes a really long time to get back on the Rogers network; is that something everyone Gets or do I have a Lemon?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
Stuck in one orientation, and a reboot fixes it. Also when I'm going thru a c train tunnel it takes a really long time to get back on the Rogers network; is that something everyone Gets or do I have a Lemon?
Sorry can't help you with the orientation problem. Out of ideas on that one.

My phone always takes forever coming out of the tunnel in the north west and sometimes coming south out of the 39th ave tunnel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just flash reset it and/or reinstall the OS. Not a widespread problem so it should go away, unless it's hardware...Then the Apple Store will help you out.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
I have this problem as well with ctrain tunnels. You can try going into settings and turning airplane mode on and off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

again!! my stupid iphone is acting up again. im looking at some vacation pics on it and the orientation is stuck. its not locked and it works everywhere else. wtf! ok i am restoring this thing.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 AM   #11
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

30 minutes after restoring it, already it's stuck. I think it's glitching out when I use the slideshow function, that seems to be when trouble happens fastest. 3 reboots in 4 days... I have an appointment for the apple genius bar tomorrow this baby is going back
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

OK i need some apple experts to weigh in on this situation. i take the phone in and the guy helping me was certainly friendly and wanted to help. after answering some routine questions he runs a diagnostic on my phone and can see that i restored it the night before. he asks what i run for an OS and i tell him windows 7, a pc. he then says "do you mind if i try restoring on a mac? it sometimes fixes things". so i tell him of course it will fix it, as restarting the iphone works. but i agree as i just want to cooperate and get a new phone. he gives me his business card and says that if it happens again ill get a new phone. its now the next day and (albeit very early) and i havent run into the issue yet. my question is... would restoring an iphone on a mac enviroment really make a difference vs a PC enviroment? it seems a tad farfetched for me.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK i need some apple experts to weigh in on this situation. i take the phone in and the guy helping me was certainly friendly and wanted to help. after answering some routine questions he runs a diagnostic on my phone and can see that i restored it the night before. he asks what i run for an OS and i tell him windows 7, a pc. he then says "do you mind if i try restoring on a mac? it sometimes fixes things". so i tell him of course it will fix it, as restarting the iphone works. but i agree as i just want to cooperate and get a new phone. he gives me his business card and says that if it happens again ill get a new phone. its now the next day and (albeit very early) and i havent run into the issue yet. my question is... would restoring an iphone on a mac enviroment really make a difference vs a PC enviroment? it seems a tad farfetched for me.
I think it would be totally possible.

The thing is, while they both are iTunes and do the same things. I would assume the version that runs on a Mac would make use of some OSx libraries. It would make sense that since all those libraries are not available on a Windows machine that either the Windows version uses a windows-adapted set of the libraries or just flat out uses the existing Windows libraries.

Since it is very unlikely that these 2 sets of libraries do the precisely the same thing, it is possible that one of them has some minor bugs associated with it, possibly that occur only with certain hardware sets.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I once had a car whose door refused to stay closed. I took the interior panel off and some parts fell out. The door magically was able to stay closed so I put the paneling back on, went inside and proclaimed that I fixed it.

Sometimes we shouldn't ask why and realize that hitting something with a hammer should always step one 'cause for some reason, it works.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

so the mac thing didnt fix it, of course, one day later i had the same issues. i now have a new iphone.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

bug fixed in 4.2
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

unbelievable, happening already to me no my new phone. you say silent its a bug being fixed did you read that online somewhere?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #18
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Can you provide the exact steps to duplicate the issue? I can't even really understand what the problem is, never mind try to get my phone to do the same thing.

Just give me a step by step process for getting my phone into a state where I can see the same thing you're seeing. If this is happening for you on multiple phones, and if it's a problem with the phone, than I should be able to duplicate it. If I can't, then it would be a problem with something you're doing on your end.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

last time i had the problem with this new phone and rebooted all I did was open photo viewer, turn the phone sideways to view landscape and it didn't orientate. I wish I could say there was one thing I always do to cause it but I don't know what that is.