Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:
Default (PS3) NHL 11 HUT Everything...

Figured I would make athread for those of us who are playing HUT.

This could be a good place to list players on our trading blocks for CP'ers before we offer them out to other teams.

Also, we can give tips on players who are sleepers in terms of play style.

For example, Greg Nemisz is a monster if you give em an upgrade on his checking and hands. Hes very hard to knock off the puck.

Anyway, if youre into the HUT, let me know.

Cheers
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

The peewee pack is 600 pucks and usually has 4 contract cards that can go for 150 each to get your money back. They don't always sell though. I find bargains can be had late at night on weekdays when the player volumes are low.

Tournaments are also a good way to build up pucks. If you win one (even the really easy ones) you can get around 2000 pucks. I even got over 1000 pucks in my last game alone because it was a touney winner.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Likwid
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm loving this mode. Started out with Ryan Kesler as my only NHL player, then saved up enough money to buy a Jumbo Pack. In that Jumbo Pack I got Ryan Howse, Rick Nash and Brent Burns! Maxed out Howse's shooting, and he is the best sniper I've ever used.
Likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

What do you guys find as the best strategy for applying consumables?

Do you apply the to the weaker guys on the line first to even them up with the stronger players in order to get a solid line or do you apply them to the stronger guys first and try to get them the puck as much as possible?
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I give the consumables to a higher tiered player with a good potential. I don't waste them on expendable bottom 6 guys.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a pretty bad team to start out with. My only NHL player was Hutchinson on D, but I am still 5-1-2

Was saving up my pucks last night, but ran out of contracts so I was forced to get a peewee pack, but in it I got Chris Butler. I was very happy with that
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I started my HUT with no forwards from the NHL. The real kick in the nuts is I get the oilers jersey for my home uniform. The only upside I see is I have Dubnyk (Oiler) in net and rated 79.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
bspec
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have a few older players in the NHL on my team, and after buying a jumbo pack (which took forever to save up for it seemed) I didn't really get much in terms of rare player cards.

Backlund for me has been amazing as my top forward though, so I can't complain.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always apply long term contracts before I upgrade their attributes (preserves salary), and I don't waste anything but +3 cards on bottom 6 guys.

I have Tyler Seguin, and with 3 upgrade cards (and a 30 game contract card that added up to 45 games in the end) he went from 74 - 79. Only used rare upgrade cards on him. Still have 9 more upgrade slots to go!

My best players are Matt Carle (upgraded to 84), Wayne Simmonds (upgraded to 84), Jordin Tootoo (upgraded to 83) and I picked up Jonathan Quick (84, no upgrade) in auction for 3,550 pucks.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya I use the consumables on the top tier guys, I try and wait though and use the rare consumables since there are a limited number of upgrades

in my first pack I got Toews which was lucky and I sold him for 18,000 pucks which I used to buy Rask (4,500) N. Backstrom (5,000) Ehrhoff (3,500) and then I bought a jumbo pack and got Fowler and Hodgson

the difference a good goalie makes in net is huge, before Rask I had an AHL goalie who would let in every one timer and breakaway
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likwid View Post
I'm loving this mode. Started out with Ryan Kesler as my only NHL player, then saved up enough money to buy a Jumbo Pack. In that Jumbo Pack I got Ryan Howse, Rick Nash and Brent Burns! Maxed out Howse's shooting, and he is the best sniper I've ever used.
What team does Howse play for? i looked for his card for Chilliwack and couldn't find him. Maybe his card wasn't for sale yet.

HUT is addictive.
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Staypuft
Self Imposed Ban

Exp:

Sad as it is, I really haven't spent much of my time playing...but moreso wheeling and dealing on the market. Some late night excursions into the auction house have landed me some really good deals (JVR for 800 pucks, Jonas Hiller for 1000, Jamie Benn for 600), so those types of guys have been flipped for sometimes triple the price.

Now that my team is built up to where I have almost all NHLers (I have bought 3 jumbo packs with cash, mind you), I am finding the cap comes into play pretty early on in the process. My team doesn't have any superstars and I'm still up on the cap (Toews is on the bench along with a few other high rated guys), I have mostly low-mid 80's rated guys with the exception of 2/3rds of my 4th line.

I've started buying low on CHL stars when I can, as I get the feeling that mid-tier guys will soon go the way of the dodo, with most teams having stars on their top 2 lines, then not having much room for anything but lower paid guys the rest of the way. I have a Paajarvi that I maxed at 86 stats, but he's paid less than 900, so he'll be a valuable one. Also have Nugent-Hopkins, Hodgson, Kozun and a few others waiting for consumables when I get them.

I'm really pleasantly surprised with the strategy and depth in this mode, but still a little peeved some guys have teams that are just ridiculously talented because they bought, what has to be over 100 jumbo packs.
Staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

well i finally played a couple games and won the easy single player tourney. i bought a couple of the super cheap packs just to get some more warm bodies and contract cards. and i finally have 6 defensemen! no more using a winger on D!!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised that it is a universal salary cap of 25,000 for most tournaments.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuft View Post

I'm really pleasantly surprised with the strategy and depth in this mode, but still a little peeved some guys have teams that are just ridiculously talented because they bought, what has to be over 100 jumbo packs.
but like you said, the cap would come into effect and they can't use all their best guys. no?

I'm in the same boat you are and have adapted that strategy too. I got Cameron from Barrie, Mitch Wahl, and Jack SKille and will amp them up via consumables.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Last night I got H.Sedin in a pack. Played him for 5 games and he netted me 0 points and 16 pims over that span. I put him on the market for a rediculous amount, 70K pucks bid and 90kpucks buyout. Hoping theres a canucks homer out there that wants him that bad.

I then spent all my points on a jumbo pack and got.... Iginla, Selanne and Sequin in the same pack.
I jacked up Saquin with 6 cards on checking, hands and speed. Hes pretty bad ass.

As for lower tier guys, I will invest cards on them if they have atleast 10 slots and a minimum of 80 potential. My D is coming together rather nicely with a few high end unknowns, unkown to me anyway.

But yes, HUT is super addictive.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #17
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
well i finally played a couple games and won the easy single player tourney. i bought a couple of the super cheap packs just to get some more warm bodies and contract cards. and i finally have 6 defensemen! no more using a winger on D!!
i was using dmen on my 3rd and 4th lines lol. we should trade haha.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

if you guys run into any red wings or grand rapids griffins you dont want let me know i am interested in them if the price is right!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #19
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

actually i do want to ask a bit of advice of you guys that have played more.

whats the best way to earn pucks? i am sitting my few good players to start off and just playing tons of chl guys. i am hoping to do this for a little while longer to stockpile more pucks. i played the rookie cup and won that. bought a couple peewee packs to get some new players and contracts. so what next?

should i play that again and just get another 2,000 pucks? are the other tournaments fairly easy as well? do they give significantly more pucks? the bronze cup is listed as featured and looks to give a better reward for winning. is it harder?

are single games better to play offline than the tournaments? similar puck reward?

is playing online better for earning pucks? i had read you got more for playing online. however, i suck pretty bad so it would most likely be a loss. but is an online loss worth as many pucks as a single player win?

any advice appreciated.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #20
Likwid
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
actually i do want to ask a bit of advice of you guys that have played more.

whats the best way to earn pucks? i am sitting my few good players to start off and just playing tons of chl guys. i am hoping to do this for a little while longer to stockpile more pucks. i played the rookie cup and won that. bought a couple peewee packs to get some new players and contracts. so what next?

should i play that again and just get another 2,000 pucks? are the other tournaments fairly easy as well? do they give significantly more pucks? the bronze cup is listed as featured and looks to give a better reward for winning. is it harder?

is playing online better for earning pucks? i had read you got more for playing online. however, i suck pretty bad so it would most likely be a loss. but is an online loss worth as many pucks as a single player win?

any advice appreciated.
Best way to earn pucks is to play the offline tournaments. They are all very easy wins and I've been earning 500+ pucks per win, not to mention the bonus pucks for completing the tourny.

I generally stay away from the online tournaments, as you will run into players who are very good or use exploits to win. One loss and you begin the tournament from the start :/
Likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Likwid For This Useful Post: