Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #21
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOfFire View Post
Neat video, but when I lean back and view it with a practical mindset, all I'm seeing is bells and whistles.
It is a HTPC (ala WD HD TV, O!Play, Apple TV) with the built in ability to make any iPhone or Android device into a high end Harmony remote for your entire home theater.

I guess you could call it bells and whistles but for me there are 3 devices that have revolutionized the way I consume media on my TV.

1) My PVR
2) My Harmony Remote
3) My Media PC (O!Play media player in my case, which has some drawbacks)

I imagine that anyone who has these items would agree with my assessment. Any device which combines these elements certainly will be a favorite for many consumers, regardless of which end of the fanboy spectrum they currently lie.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #22
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Google has fanboys(ois)? :P

Whatever the product Google comes out with I'm sure it will be neutered all to hell in Canada.
You mean before it gets to Canada.

Its developers and clients will see how liberal we Canadians presently are with our media, and the fact that we aren't willing to practically give up our firstborn just to have their products. They'll see less potential for growth because we Canadians don't appreciate being charged more than once for our products, and will pre-emptively neuter it so we can't do what we want with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji
It is a HTPC (ala WD HD TV, O!Play, Apple TV) with the built in ability to make any iPhone or Android device into a high end Harmony remote for your entire home theater.
I too have an AppleTV. My remark was from the perspective of someone who also runs their home entertainment system in a manner such as this. The difference between my set-up and the guy in the video however: He runs all his stuff off his iPhone. I still have to use my remote controls. Bells and whistles. I wouldn't MIND using an iPhone/iPad/iTouch as a remote control, if I had one. :P

Last edited by HeartsOfFire; 07-05-2010 at 12:40 PM.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #23
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Neat video, but when I lean back and view it with a practical mindset, all I'm seeing is bells and whistles.
I'd love gesture control on my remote.

Key for me will be if/how it integrates with set top PVRs (and HTPC PVR software) - or at least how customizable it is via plugins or otherwise.

But best of all is how Google & Apple are going to go toe to toe for this market, everybody wins

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #24
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You mean before it gets to Canada.

Its developers and clients will see how liberal we Canadians presently are with our media, and the fact that we aren't willing to practically give up our firstborn just to have their products. They'll see less potential for growth because we Canadians don't appreciate being charged more than once for our products, and will pre-emptively neuter it so we can't do what we want with it.
The Conservatives are hell bent to drag us to the mercy of the media companies. So perhaps my complaint won't mean much by the time this device is released.

Wonder if we'll ever decide that getting double charged for content is morally repugnant and will just give up on it en'masse.

Somewhat related to thread:
I gave the PS3 video store a whirl this weekend. Streamed an HD movie (over 2 hours long) for $6. Really nice experience - far better selection then the Xbox, though the interface is quite atrocious. And cheaper then renting it at Blockbuster (considering I always pay late fees... )
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #25
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apps for Google TV

Logitech will be announcing their lineup of devices on Wednesday. I am very interested to see what this thing will be like.

Oh, and your move Apple.

Some more information here:

http://www.google.com/tv/index.html

Last edited by Burninator; 10-04-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #26
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think I'm going to hold off buying Apple TV until this gets released.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks cool, but I would be very surprised if the Canadian experience will be anything like what's shown.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #28
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

When are we expected to get this in Canada?
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #29
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Looks a lot like what many were hoping the Apple TV would be. I understand Apple wants to do this very slowly and methodically so everybody can understand, but Google may press them to move quicker than they originally planned. Or they'll just do what they always do and approach the gate very very slowly and we'll get this next year.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #30
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

The Canadian version (if there even is one) won't have half of what's in that video.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #31
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

With the release of the CityTV app and the (albeit gibbled) Netflix app, we're starting to see Canada get some apps that could be useful on something like that.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #32
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait till I get my Google TV in Canada.

Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #33
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cherry picking aside. It does look like an interesting device.

Connecting to the PVR looks like a good idea. No need to switch between different devices. Having a full web browser is a nice feature to have. Probably won't be something I would use all the time, but it should work for websites that stream content. Plus TV and web at the same time looks pretty nifty. No word yet about steaming local content though.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #34
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just love that Apple & Google are going toe to toe in this space. It's done wonders in the mobile market.

We win!

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #35
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Or they'll just do what they always do and approach the gate very very slowly and we'll get this next year.
And then they'll claim they were the first to do it.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #36
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
And then they'll claim they were the first to do it.
They don't claim to be the first with many things, they do (and will) however claim to be the best. That's their answer to everybody that gets on them for being slow, which when it comes to apple, is pretty much every product they release.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #37
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I feel a little let down by the current released info for google tv. Hopefully this battle will make everything better!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #38
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

$299 for the Logitech Google TV box. Yikes, that is a lot. I won't be picking up one of those at that price. It seems to have good specs though. Hopefully this will kick Apple in the butt to put out apps on the new Apple TV. I may pick up one when I am down in the states (shouldn't be a problem right?) so I can watch Netflix. Still haven't gotten my Wii Disc...
Old 10-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #39
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Every time I see it, I keep waiting for the accompanying Onion article.

This is sony's Google TV remote. If I was Google I'd be freaking out about this thing. It requires two hands! If you're ever looking for an example of why sometimes being free and open like Google can be a negative business model, this would be it.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #40
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Every time I see it, I keep waiting for the accompanying Onion article.

This is sony's Google TV remote. If I was Google I'd be freaking out about this thing. It requires two hands! If you're ever looking for an example of why sometimes being free and open like Google can be a negative business model, this would be it.

That is one ugly beast. If they wanted to include a keyboard it should be a slide out keyboard.

Either of these remotes would be much better.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote