Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Sim card options

So I'm travelling to San Francisco tomorrow and will be there for 5 days, I usually go down to the states a couple times a year. I have in the past just bought a cheap pay as you go phone down there for $10 and bought a time card for $15-20 so people can get in contact with me. What are my options for just buying a sim card from an american cell phone provider? I currently have a Samsung S3 on the Telus network. Is it easy to do, or more of a pain?

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the phone unlocked?
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally you would unlock your phone if it isn't already and get a prepaid card or something from AT&T. The latter is easy. The unlocking can be a pain if you haven't done it before.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
hatty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The best option I have seen is Roam Mobility. You can buy an unlocked phone from them for cheap too....but if you have one it helps. You get to keep your same number as long as you activate it at least once in a year, that way you don't always have to change your number when you go down, also, you can buy time for just the days your down there.

I think its on t-mobile's network and you get data as well at 3G speeds i believe. Its cheaper then putting any roaming package on. I am heading down to the states next week and I will be topping up my sim card prior to leaving.
hatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatty View Post
The best option I have seen is Roam Mobility. You can buy an unlocked phone from them for cheap too....but if you have one it helps. You get to keep your same number as long as you activate it at least once in a year, that way you don't always have to change your number when you go down, also, you can buy time for just the days your down there.

I think its on t-mobile's network and you get data as well at 3G speeds i believe. Its cheaper then putting any roaming package on. I am heading down to the states next week and I will be topping up my sim card prior to leaving.
TMobile has unlimited data, text and talk for $2 a day. No reason to use the plan you mentioned, except that TMobile requires you purchase pre-pay in $10 blocks, so it *might* work out cheaper in some situations.

edit: there is also an activation fee, I think maybe $10

Last edited by Rathji; 07-24-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
TMobile has unlimited data, text and talk for $2 a day. No reason to use the plan you mentioned, except that TMobile requires you purchase pre-pay in $10 blocks, so it *might* work out cheaper in some situations.

edit: there is also an activation fee, I think maybe $10
Am I completely blind? I can't find a pre-paid talk/text/data plan on t-mobiles website, just talk/text only.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 08-05-2013 at 04:20 AM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatty View Post

I amin NYC right now and bought the Roam card as mentioned. For me it has been awful. Signal covetage keeps dropping, and internet speeds are unusable. Even a google search takes almost 2 mins to complete.

So I went into ATT and go a pre pay, now I have awesome speed and coverage. It is $40 though, which is expensive but 5 times what Bell gives you fpr $50.

I won't be using Roam again. Total waste of money for my NYC trip. Maybe it works better in other cities, but here it sucked.

Question, does T-Mobile support the Canadian unlocked iPhone 5. If so I am just going to them, and saving some money. ATT 4G is just like home, but I don't need it that fast if I can save some dough.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

When I was looking at a T-Mobile store, they said my phone was alright as long as I got it unlocked.

My concern for you though- I was under the impression that Roam used T-Mobile's towers. So if the coverage was spotty with Roam, I'd expect the same thing with T-Mobile.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
When I was looking at a T-Mobile store, they said my phone was alright as long as I got it unlocked.

My concern for you though- I was under the impression that Roam used T-Mobile's towers. So if the coverage was spotty with Roam, I'd expect the same thing with T-Mobile.
Here is a question, is the architecture model the streight forward?

Does Roam proxy or redirect data? Ie: it goes to a t mobile tower then to a Roam server then back then to t mobile then to your phone?

I just ask because it seemed like some funny things were happening when I used their service.

Ie: the spin wheel moved very slow, I had full bars but couldn't make a call, or get google up, weird drop outs in service, set my APN to "roam"

I am going to call and ask. I don't want to put it on t mobile if it is not them.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have first-hand experience with roam, but it seems to get substantially worse reviews for data speeds and coverage than t-mobile. I've used t-mobile in a few places, and I can't imagine that they have spotty coverage in NYC. I'll be a guniea pig and try t-mobile there at the end of the month and report back.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post: