Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-11-2024, 01:41 PM   #1
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The DUNE PART 2 Full Movie and Book Spoilers Thread

I shared my thoughts in the Recommend a movie thread but the way they kind of (imo) rushed the conclusion of Part 2 really suggests to me they're planning on adapting Dune Messiah and ending Denis Dune there.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:52 PM   #2
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't WB have plans to continue this universe in the form of a TV show on HBO?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:55 PM   #3
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'm going to read the books, at least the first one.

I have really enjoyed both Dune & Dune 2

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:03 PM   #4
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Didn't WB have plans to continue this universe in the form of a TV show on HBO?
The show is a prequel, mostly about the Bene Gesserit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune:_Prophecy

The next movie, which was dependent on the success of Dune 2, is based on book #2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune:_Part_Two#Future
Quote:
Future
Villeneuve has repeatedly expressed interest in making a third film based on Dune Messiah, the second novel in the series, adding that the possibility for the film depended on the success of Dune: Part Two.[145][146][147] Spaihts also reiterated in March 2022 that Villeneuve had plans for a third film as well as the television spin-off series Dune: Prophecy.[148] In August 2023, Villeneuve said the third film would serve as the conclusion of a trilogy.[149] Villeneuve began developing a script for the third film in 2023.[150] In February 2024, Villeneuve said the script was "almost finished" but also said he "[does not] want to rush it", citing Hollywood's tendency of focusing on release dates over a film's overall quality,[151] and adding "I want to make sure that if we go back there a third time that it'll be worth it, and that it would make something even better than Part Two".[25]

Ahead of Dune: Part Two's release, Zimmer revealed he was already writing music for a third film after Villeneuve came in and "wordlessly" put Dune Messiah on his desk.[152]
Sign me up for both.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 02:10 PM   #5
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I think I'm going to read the books, at least the first one.

I have really enjoyed both Dune & Dune 2
Read all the way through God Emperor. You won't regret it. Things get super duper unhinged after there, but God Emperor contains, IMO, some of the best sci-fi philosophy ever written. It is a total mind-render.

Plus it is the natural terminus to the current story and characters you've become fond of.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 02:21 PM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

How far do spoilers extend? All books or only the one that has been adapted?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:24 PM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The TV series is supposed to be based on some of Brian Herbert's novels? If so then I'll wait before watching, all the "new" Dune novels I've read have been trash.

And yeah the first 4 books have an overarching story that's really interesting and really are worth reading.

I do like the 5th and 6th and it would have been great for FH to finish his ideas there. His kid supposedly finished the series from Frank's notes but again I found his ending garbage.

EDIT: I would say all books since what and how something gets adapted is interesting IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 02:28 PM   #8
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Chalk me up to one of those "movie made me a fan" of this series.

I caught Dune 2 on Friday and it was incredible. What appealed to me the most is the mystery around, I don't know how to describe it but, the religous undertones with the Bene Gesserit and the Fremen.

I did also like that the movies lean less on dialogue and more on the scenes and action to tell the story. When I first saw the first movie, I felt like everything was going so fast and that I was missing things. It was only till I watched an interview with the Director where he mentioned he doesn't like dialogue did it click with me.

This is one of those movies series where watching the movie first and then reading the books seems ideal. The movie gives you the imagery and then the books fill in the detail blanks.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:34 PM   #9
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

The next movie, which was dependent on the success of Dune 2, is based on book #2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune:_Part_Two#Future

Sign me up for both.
I honestly don't know how composers like Zimmer can begin to conceive a soundtrack from mulling over a rough script. That's an otherworldly ability. It makes sense then that he's a part of the project, I guess.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:34 PM   #10
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
How far do spoilers extend? All books or only the one that has been adapted?
Hey yeah, sorry.
I was sort of intending to discuss at least the first three books, Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune. As they're kind of the most intertwined with the era of the movies. God Emperor of Dune (book 4) while has direct ties to the others, occurs after a major time jump.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 02:47 PM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Chalk me up to one of those "movie made me a fan" of this series.

I caught Dune 2 on Friday and it was incredible. What appealed to me the most is the mystery around, I don't know how to describe it but, the religous undertones with the Bene Gesserit and the Fremen.

I did also like that the movies lean less on dialogue and more on the scenes and action to tell the story. When I first saw the first movie, I felt like everything was going so fast and that I was missing things. It was only till I watched an interview with the Director where he mentioned he doesn't like dialogue did it click with me.

This is one of those movies series where watching the movie first and then reading the books seems ideal. The movie gives you the imagery and then the books fill in the detail blanks.
I saw Dune part one then I read the book and then I saw Dune part two. I’m glad I did it this way. The novel has a lot of complex lore and having seen both dune part one and David Lynch’s dune made some of the backstory of the novel easier to fill in. Especially because they use a lot of world specific language that you have to remember.
Old 03-11-2024, 02:48 PM   #12
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I’m good with anything with regards to spoilers. I just wanna make sure I know what I’m getting into when I come in this thread. I’m already somewhat familiar with Dune Messiah and the general direction of the books after that.

Since Villeneuve compressed the timeline of the first novel I wonder how he’s going to handle the time skip between Dune and Dune Messiah. If I had to guess I’d say he’s gonna show the war with the other families concurrently with some of the politics of Dune Messiah. Instead of having them happen one after another.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:01 PM   #13
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I honestly don't know how composers like Zimmer can begin to conceive a soundtrack from mulling over a rough script. That's an otherworldly ability. It makes sense then that he's a part of the project, I guess.
I would guess the process goes, storyboards, then music composition, then the cinematography and effects guys build their scenes around the music.

That's how you get action and visual scenes that seem to fit with the music? Just a guess obviously.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 03:20 PM   #14
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’m good with anything with regards to spoilers. I just wanna make sure I know what I’m getting into when I come in this thread. I’m already somewhat familiar with Dune Messiah and the general direction of the books after that.

Since Villeneuve compressed the timeline of the first novel I wonder how he’s going to handle the time skip between Dune and Dune Messiah. If I had to guess I’d say he’s gonna show the war with the other families concurrently with some of the politics of Dune Messiah. Instead of having them happen one after another.
Yeah, that's a solid bet.
TBH the condensed timeline didn't work for me, it made Paul's decision less believable for me.

Also my friend and I were talking about Messiah and how she thinks they'll leave out the Spacing Guild and Tleilaxu out. The lack of importance of the Guild is one of my book reader gripes. They're right up there with the Bene Gesserit in terms of their political power.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:27 PM   #15
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would guess the process goes, storyboards, then music composition, then the cinematography and effects guys build their scenes around the music.

That's how you get action and visual scenes that seem to fit with the music? Just a guess obviously.
This process makes the most sense. If it were the other way around with cinematography/STs it would be exponentially more difficult with how editing goes. They probably build a track with an overarching mood around a scene based off storyboards, knowing roughly how long it needs to be, then the video is shot and edited around the soundtrack for the scene.

Having created videos, I always built them around the music and just faded out the audio track where that "part" concluded. That checks out.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:11 PM   #16
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The TV series is supposed to be based on some of Brian Herbert's novels? If so then I'll wait before watching, all the "new" Dune novels I've read have been trash.

And yeah the first 4 books have an overarching story that's really interesting and really are worth reading.

I do like the 5th and 6th and it would have been great for FH to finish his ideas there. His kid supposedly finished the series from Frank's notes but again I found his ending garbage.

EDIT: I would say all books since what and how something gets adapted is interesting IMO.
I am of like mind on the BH junk. I think the heart of the ending he wrote was true but he just jammed it full of self-referential bs that was meant to promote the other books he and KJA wrote after pops died.

And, I agree on Chapterhouse + Heretics are very good books if you're into the lore, but many people get totally unwound about some of the crazier elements (and you know, the sex cult stuff lol.)
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:38 PM   #17
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
And, I agree on Chapterhouse + Heretics are very good books if you're into the lore, but many people get totally unwound about some of the crazier elements (and you know, the sex cult stuff lol.)
I mean I was in my early teens when I first read Dune.. maybe even preteen.

And in the book when Jessica converts the water of life it's basically an orgy lol.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:41 PM   #18
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Also my friend and I were talking about Messiah and how she thinks they'll leave out the Spacing Guild and Tleilaxu out. The lack of importance of the Guild is one of my book reader gripes. They're right up there with the Bene Gesserit in terms of their political power.
Doubly so since the Guild Navigators are a big part of clouding Paul's prescience for the conspiracy against him.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 04:54 PM   #19
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I totally let out a massive groan when I read Travis Fimmel was in it.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:13 PM   #20
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

its super challenging as there is so much content to adapt.

Villenueve and Nolan are the best directors out there for big scale movies...but there's a ton of others like Fincher, PT Anderson, Scorcesse, Glazer, Lanthimos whose work I love too.

There were things in Dune 1+2 that I was hoping for, but were not filmed, or cut for run time...

the Conservatory and the Banquet scenes, the traitor storyline, the Mentats, Thurfir and Alia (as a child)...The Spacing Guild and their inability to use prescience to figure out to deal with Paul.

Since Paul's struggle in the book was mainly through internal monologues, I thouight the use of Chani to physically manifest those doubts was a clever strategy. Alia in vitro was cool as it provided Jessica an interesting arc.

Nothing really 'bothered' me... I thought maybe the throughline after Paul drank the Water of Life was lost a little bit as things accelerated a bit too quickly... as a Dune fan, I would have happily sat through another 15 - 30 min...but as seen in some of the reviews, there are some people who wouldn't have enjoyed it at all...

I know DV has already stated that there will be no director's cut, but I wish that he will change his mind at some point, even if it is as deleted scenes without being recut into the movie.

But WB is so cash strapped, having an Extended Dune cut would definitely get them additional sales imo...

As for Messiah, not sure how they deal with a teenage Alia, since ATJ is pretty much the same age as all the other young cast...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote