Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
Crackmacs
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Union 26 (bar in the NE) was completely trashed by a couple people

Saw this circulating today on Facebook, figured worth sharing. I'd never even heard of Union 26 before. Going to make it a point to drop by once they're open again, even if they're just a dive in the NE kind of thing. Support local and all that.

Pretty ####ed up.

Link to post on FB.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Never heard of it before, but their FB page looks interesting. Beer yoga?! Hmm....
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmacs View Post
Viral marketing to advertise their mini-jugs is all.

Pretty good photos of the relatively unique looking suspects on that Facebook post, shouldn't be long before they are caught.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

The creeps should show up on the cameras that are required with VLT’s one would think.

Oops I never went to the Facebook link.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Businesses, bars in particular, have a really hard time making a go these days. Sad to see this kind of disrespect. Although it seems the only thing cops can catch these days are speeders, it would still be nice if they could catch the people responsible and hold them accountable.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
it would still be nice if they could catch the people responsible and hold them accountable.
Boy that seems like an unnecessary and largely uninformed shot.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a nice clear shot of the one guy's face. They should be able to catch them. There's a good chance they're young offenders though, so I don't know how much punishment they'll get.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least one of them cut their hand real good. Nice facial shots of them though. They'll get caught in due time.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Wasting ground beef.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Wasting ground beef.
Why are you putting that hamburger meat on the floor?
It's ground beef... GROUND beef. Get it?
I hope you go to jail.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is everything covered in dust?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Why is everything covered in dust?
I'm guessing they set off some fire extinguishers.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Boy that seems like an unnecessary and largely uninformed shot.
Did you mean to quote somebody else?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #14
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Did you mean to quote somebody else?
Didn’t quote enough of it
Was objecting to the claim that the only thing the police can catch are speeders
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Didn’t quote enough of it
Was objecting to the claim that the only thing the police can catch are speeders
Ah that makes sense, I was just skimming. Yeah, that can be frustrating when it seems that police put more energy into speeding than anything else, but there's reasons for it.

1. There's a dedicated traffic unit who are attacking road violations and responding to accidents regardless of what else is going on in the city, except for extreme circumstances.

2. The traffic unit and traffic tickets handed out account for a huge portion of the police budget, which then allows them to fund other departments to work on other areas of crime.

So unless you want to see a significant bump in your taxes then you need to accept that catching speeders is actually producing revenue for cops to fight other crimes, not taking away from it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #16
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I take it the photos of the suspects aren’t allowed to be posted here because they might be underaged?
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #17
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Ah that makes sense, I was just skimming. Yeah, that can be frustrating when it seems that police put more energy into speeding than anything else, but there's reasons for it.

1. There's a dedicated traffic unit who are attacking road violations and responding to accidents regardless of what else is going on in the city, except for extreme circumstances.

2. The traffic unit and traffic tickets handed out account for a huge portion of the police budget, which then allows them to fund other departments to work on other areas of crime.

So unless you want to see a significant bump in your taxes then you need to accept that catching speeders is actually producing revenue for cops to fight other crimes, not taking away from it.
It makes sense that folks are upset about their perception of traffic enforcement. That's generally the only way in which people interact with police, and generally after they have been caught (by a real officer or a camera...). So it feels that that is "all they do". I can assure you though, CPS is VERY busy, and traffic makes up only a small portion of what police are involved in.

Traffic enforcement is a side of policing that I've found much more fascinating in the last few years. I've always been pretty ambivalent about it myself, knowing that if I got busted speeding, I'd be paying the fine. It's how it works.

After being around on CP and a few other places online, I started to notice people complaining about folks going too slow, the "left lane strugglers", the 'roads are designed for us to go faster' folks, and folks who felt that traffic enforcement was too strict.

So I have been keeping an informal tally for the last 4 years, of the pubic calls I deal with, who's complaining about what when it comes to driving, and the results were rather surprising to me. From what I was seeing online, I was thinking I'd be getting flooded with calls about slow drivers, and folks struggling along.

I almost never do.

I am, however, flooded with calls about speeders, "weavers", "swervers", impatient drivers, folks blasting through construction and school zones, unsafe drivers, and generally bad driving. Out of 4 years, I have had 2 people call up and complain about too much traffic management. I stopped counting after 500 had called stating that police don't do enough traffic management/enforcement. I deal with 5-10 traffic complaints per 12 hour shift. And that's just me.

It's also not common that an officer who is not specifically in the traffic division is doing the stopping, as they are all generally too busy. So unless you are really being egregious in what you are doing, 'normal' police likely have more important things to do than bust you. Photo radar vehicles are not run by police, either. They have Commissionaires in them (and that's a job you couldn't pay me to do...).
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #18
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
The creeps should show up on the cameras that are required with VLT’s one would think.

Oops I never went to the Facebook link.
Not sure about cameras but I'm sure an alarm system is a requirement. This one didn't work so well.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:40 PM   #19
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
It makes sense that folks are upset about their perception of traffic enforcement. That's generally the only way in which people interact with police, and generally after they have been caught (by a real officer or a camera...). So it feels that that is "all they do". I can assure you though, CPS is VERY busy, and traffic makes up only a small portion of what police are involved in.

Traffic enforcement is a side of policing that I've found much more fascinating in the last few years. I've always been pretty ambivalent about it myself, knowing that if I got busted speeding, I'd be paying the fine. It's how it works.

After being around on CP and a few other places online, I started to notice people complaining about folks going too slow, the "left lane strugglers", the 'roads are designed for us to go faster' folks, and folks who felt that traffic enforcement was too strict.

So I have been keeping an informal tally for the last 4 years, of the pubic calls I deal with, who's complaining about what when it comes to driving, and the results were rather surprising to me. From what I was seeing online, I was thinking I'd be getting flooded with calls about slow drivers, and folks struggling along.

I almost never do.

I am, however, flooded with calls about speeders, "weavers", "swervers", impatient drivers, folks blasting through construction and school zones, unsafe drivers, and generally bad driving. Out of 4 years, I have had 2 people call up and complain about too much traffic management. I stopped counting after 500 had called stating that police don't do enough traffic management/enforcement. I deal with 5-10 traffic complaints per 12 hour shift. And that's just me.

It's also not common that an officer who is not specifically in the traffic division is doing the stopping, as they are all generally too busy. So unless you are really being egregious in what you are doing, 'normal' police likely have more important things to do than bust you. Photo radar vehicles are not run by police, either. They have Commissionaires in them (and that's a job you couldn't pay me to do...).
So in other words, it's the struggling losers that are calling in on the people that are passing them? Quelle surprise.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 11:49 PM   #20
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Although it seems the only thing cops can catch these days are speeders
I'll assume this means you've been caught speeding, but your other crimes have not yet been found out.

Tags
vandalism