Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #141
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I see that "we can always re-sign Cammalleri" is the new "we can always flip him at the deadline for a pick."
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #142
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
To the posters in this thread who are currently taking the view, better a trade for even a 3rd/5th than no trade today, or just take the best available, you lack perspective and more importantly lack the wherewithal to negotiate in a manner to properly help yourselves in the medium term, and your actions will destroy your returns in the long term. Burke holding out was probably the right decision unless there was an offer that was better than the market was suggesting today.

One poster has suggested taking what the Oilers got for Hemsky, because it is better than nothing. That may be a Feaster move, but I think even Feaster would value his reputation better than to trade Camalleri for what the Oilers got for Hemsky.

The Flames are in no need to trade Camalleri today for middling picks. Making a trade just to do so would be an awful decision.

Negotiating is a longer term endeavour when you're in professional sports, not just a "get what I can today" thing.
As opposed to losing him for nothing as a UFA?

No really sure I understand that logic? That somehow Calgary will get better trades, deals with other GMs and other players because they decided to keep Cammy rather than trade him? And could very well lose him for zero assets?

would you care to explain your logic, cause I don't see how keeping Cammy on a struggling, rebuilding team for 1.5 months is more beneficial than trading him for a couple of later round picks?
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #143
theTrumanShow
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Horrible asset management by the Flames.

1. Sutter trades a first round pick for Cammy only to let him become a free agent after one year.

2. Feaster then gives up assets to get him back. Basically trading Bourque and a high 2nd rounder for Ramo.

3. Burke possibly loses him for nothing.

Once again, I am very disappointed with the Flames today.
I agree, a complete joke. Cap space is great as suggested by some posters, but please go tell me what UFA's out there this summer are worth spending it on? And also which ones would actually sign here?

Total joke. All talk no substance.
theTrumanShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #144
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Based on the returns this year, thank God Feaster and the Flames moved Bouwmeester last year!
Why? Bouwmeester would have definitely returned what he got last year, likely more.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #145
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

No really sure I understand that logic? That somehow Calgary will get better trades, deals with other GMs and other players because they decided to keep Cammy rather than trade him? And could very well lose him for zero assets?

would you care to explain your logic, cause I don't see how keeping Cammy on a struggling, rebuilding team for 1.5 months is more beneficial than trading him for a couple of later round picks?
Because this isn't the only trade the Flames will ever try to make
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #146
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
However, when you look at Moulson, Vanek, Legwand, Hemsky, Schultz, Callahan, et al, Burke was the only one who "ran out of time" or whatever.
Hardly, there's hundreds of other possible trades that didn't happen for whatever reason today. You're just upset because your expectations weren't met, even after admitting you are basing things on assumptions. Using words like "embarrassing" or "idiot" based on assumptions is extreme and just looks silly.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #147
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Why? Bouwmeester would have definitely returned what he got last year, likely more.
I don't think that can be said with any certainty.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #148
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Vanek got that, JBo wouldn't have gotten us what he did
Old 03-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #149
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Think about it this way... If a guy who scored 345 points in his last 400 games, only got a 2nd round pick plus a meh prospect, what do you think Cammy was worth? Again, we re-sign him, he plays well we trade him at the deadline for more than we could have gotten today. He doesn't play well, Flames suck, Flames draft McDavid and cut ties with Cammy in the offseason.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #150
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus - the 22nd pick this year will not likely be as good as Poirier
Old 03-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #151
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I see that "we can always re-sign Cammalleri" is the new "we can always flip him at the deadline for a pick."
Don't worry we can flip him at the deadline next year.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #152
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I don't think that can be said with any certainty.
Considering the level of play he's been playing at for the last two seasons, I would say it is. The Flames made out pretty well in that deal so its pretty much moot either way.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #153
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

If you trade for less than value, you'll become known to do so and never get value in the future. See: Feaster.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #154
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind it. Give Cammy a chance to score a few more goals here. Could still get something for negotiation rights in July, correct? That's right at the time where Snow might lose his mind again anyway
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #155
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
We're seeing the emergence of advanced stats and new management philosophies really starting to dictate moves. Was wondering when this would start happening. Basically GMs are running numbers now. "Why is it worth me to give up a 1st rounder for 19 games of this player and then a really unpredictable outcome in the playoffs?"
Quote:
Which is it?

Are GM's starting to figure it out (due to advanced stats?) or would Bouwmeester have gotten more, despite being the rental you described?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #156
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I guess. There were no defencemen on the market of Bouw's abilities and lots of forwards. For all we know the market for top pairing defencemen was strong. I think sacrificing a 1st in a weak draft would have been a guarantee.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #157
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Garth snow kept holding out hoping for a home run. He got stuck at closing time with very little quality.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #158
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And people used to say that Feaster was just full of hot air. Sorry, but Burke failed big time today for a team in the first year of a rebuild. You get any picks you can get for free agents. This isn't rocket science.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #159
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hard to say.

Bouw certainly wouldn't have been an Olympian and would not have had the resurgance that he had in St.Louis.

If he started this season like he started his first two seasons in Calgary he likely doesn't get us a 1st rounder.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #160
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Horrible asset management by the Flames.

1. Sutter trades a first round pick for Cammy only to let him become a free agent after one year.

2. Feaster then gives up assets to get him back. Basically trading Bourque and a high 2nd rounder for Ramo.

3. Burke possibly loses him for nothing.

Once again, I am very disappointed with the Flames today.
I thought Sutter had to let Cammy go to be compliant with the cap?
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote