Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #41
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very windy at mine in Vancouver.
My office just started leaking water from somewhere, heading in to check it out.
This after my front window was smashed just Friday.
Yay!
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #42
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Merritt being evaluated?
What would be the merit in doing that?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #43
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flooding in Abbotford as well and they have requested provincial assistance.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:53 PM   #44
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, major damage to the Coq-

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460338320693620736
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #45
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460321601422041091
Mesmerizing.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #46
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

We attempted the drive from Invermere back to Calgary yesterday morning. I kept checking DriveBC's map and their twitter account and everything made it appear like business as usual for the 93 in the winter. So we went for it, get to Radium to gas up and it's raining. No signage as you entered the park that maybe this wasn't a great idea. Come down into the first valley slowly as you see semi's chained up heading towards Radium. Then we end up in the giant standstill about 2km past Dolly Varden. Of course with no cell coverage you had no idea what was up, luckily a guy in a truck heading towards Radium had a two way radio and said we were looking at at least 5-6 hours to get through.

We are fortunate and had a place to spend the night, so we turned around and went back. That is about as perfect a storm you could get for 93. Challenging conditions, and then through in all the truck traffic from highway 1 and people that have never driven it going for it. No way it was going to end well. I wonder if this will at least lead to some cell coverage on it.

Hit the road at 5:45 this morning and came back via Crowsnest pass. Rain for most of the drive and warm, like 10 degrees in Fernie. That little closure they have on the highway for flooding was a quick detour onto a parallel road.

Listening to the radio on the whole drive, it's like the whole province is under a coordinated weather attack. Unreal.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #47
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

From what I’m seeing, it could be a while before any road access into lower mainland is restored.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #48
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping there won't be a large (or any) death toll from this. Some of those photos look bad.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #49
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Crud.

Well the lower mainland was a write off anyways.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #50
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
We attempted the drive from Invermere back to Calgary yesterday morning. I kept checking DriveBC's map and their twitter account and everything made it appear like business as usual for the 93 in the winter. So we went for it, get to Radium to gas up and it's raining. No signage as you entered the park that maybe this wasn't a great idea. Come down into the first valley slowly as you see semi's chained up heading towards Radium. Then we end up in the giant standstill about 2km past Dolly Varden. Of course with no cell coverage you had no idea what was up, luckily a guy in a truck heading towards Radium had a two way radio and said we were looking at at least 5-6 hours to get through.

We are fortunate and had a place to spend the night, so we turned around and went back. That is about as perfect a storm you could get for 93. Challenging conditions, and then through in all the truck traffic from highway 1 and people that have never driven it going for it. No way it was going to end well. I wonder if this will at least lead to some cell coverage on it.

Hit the road at 5:45 this morning and came back via Crowsnest pass. Rain for most of the drive and warm, like 10 degrees in Fernie. That little closure they have on the highway for flooding was a quick detour onto a parallel road.

Listening to the radio on the whole drive, it's like the whole province is under a coordinated weather attack. Unreal.
How was the traffic on that route?

We got stuck in the mess on 93 yesterday and turned around. Decided just to stay for another day and try again on Tuesday.

Maybe the Fernie route might be best.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #51
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool, cool, just random barges going float-about, headed for bridges.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460352421801070593?t=bpMY-sTPd_mSIpfMFGXVlQ&s=19

Phew, I guess, stuck on a beach.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460353593630879744?t=cipScLuKgt39SByiUCeHgA&s=19
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #52
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
How was the traffic on that route?

We got stuck in the mess on 93 yesterday and turned around. Decided just to stay for another day and try again on Tuesday.

Maybe the Fernie route might be best.

Light traffic, perhaps because we left so early. I’d strongly suggest going that way even though it’s a longer drive. I just think while highway 1 is closed all it will take is another one of those hundreds of waiting semi’s for 93 to open jack-knifing again and it’s a standstill all over again.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #53
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Light traffic, perhaps because we left so early. I’d strongly suggest going that way even though it’s a longer drive. I just think while highway 1 is closed all it will take is another one of those hundreds of waiting semi’s for 93 to open jack-knifing again and it’s a standstill all over again.
Agreed 100p. We hit 4 areas where all you need is 1 semi to hit the ditch and you are in the mess again. The road was a legitimate skating rink.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #54
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The detour you spoke of, did it divert you back to Highway 3?

Im checking things out now and it looks like Highway 3 is completely closed and Google is giving me some route all the way around Fernie eventually popping out just west of Crowsest on Corbin Road.

Captain Otto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #55
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Im checking things out now and it looks like Highway 3 is completely closed and Google is giving me some route all the way around Fernie eventually popping out just west of Crowsest on Corbin Road.

God no, Crowsnest Pass is the only option - Google just sees a line and connects the dots, I can only imagine how bad that "road" gets up high.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #56
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Sun is out now in Vancouver, but the last bits of the downpour were some of the worst. That part of the system will likely be over Chilliwack now, and will hit Merritt and the main highways over the next several hours, so I'd expect things to continue to get worse before they get better.

As much as Vancouver is a rainy pit of depression in the winter, I've never seen anything quite like this November. Just storm after storm rolling through, with this most recent downpour just being over the top (although the tornado definitely takes the crown for craziest weather event). If it keeps up, I'd expect we'll break November precipitation records across the lower mainland at least.

Hopefully this was the worst of it though and they can get those highways up and running (and the people who are trapped lifted out) pretty quickly.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #57
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Good luck with that....

Just edited, didn't realize BC had 2 Highway 3's half a province apart, unconnected. Odd.
It runs from the TCH at Hope all the way to AB border at Crowsnest Pass...(and then runs as AB3 all the way to Medicine Hat, essentially rejoining TCH)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...mbia_Highway_3

There are certainly a few concurrencies, most notably 95/3 running SW from Cranbrook and 93/3 running SW from same. And the ~7km east from Hope that is both 3 & 5 (Coquihalla) before they split.

Hope to Med Hat via H3 = 1161km
Hope to Med Hat via TCH = 1289km
Hope to Med Hat via Coke + TCH = 1112 km

One of the reasons the most southern route for TCH wasn't considered waaaaay back in the 19th century was it's proximity to the 49th parallel and concerns that the US could invade and cut it off easily.

It wouldn't have been without it's own difficulties, but nothing nearly as challenging as Kicking Horse and Roger's passes. At the Kootenay Pass between Salmo-Creston reaches 1774M (about 130M higher than TCH peak near Lake Louise), but it's a lot straighter (albeit a bit steeper) than Roger's Pass and without significant avalanche concerns. TIL that Salmo-Creston stretch opened in 1964, only 2 years after the TCH opened through Rogers Pass.

I've never driven it, but Princeton-Hope (Allison Pass) is probably at least as windy/dangerous/challenging to construct as any other pass, though perhaps a bit milder in the winter?

I've always been interested in what the fastest/easiest/best route would have been with all of the information we have today. Certainly Howse Pass > Kicking Horse, though that was known pretty well at the time and simply an issue of corruption.

I suspect Crowsnest --> Kootenay --> Allison passes would have still been a bit more efficient than KH/Howse --> Rogers --> Coquihalla, though it's hard to weigh smaller sections like the big hill near Osoyoos and the stretch to Salmo vs. Revy to Meritt
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #58
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460351817275961347
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #59
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes it did, it’s just a quick jog up Dicken road and then it ran parallel to the #3 for a couple of km’s before joining the highway again.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #60
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And from DriveBC there is a local detour in place.

Quote:
Highway 3 Both Directions - Highway 3, in both directions. Flooding between Cunliffe Rd and Caldwell Frtg (4 km east of Fernie). Road closed. Watch for traffic control. Expect minor delays. Detour via Dicken Road. Next update time Mon Nov 15 at 5:00 PM MST. Last updated Mon Nov 15 at 2:27 PM MST. (DBC-35094)
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote