Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-25-2020, 12:14 AM   #21
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like he took some decent time to help you out and maybe just got a little annoyed at the end of it. No biggie.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #22
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the third time around you were getting a bit annoying but NAH
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #23
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

yes

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #24
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

NAH. He gave you a lot of info with regards to your request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I’ve got $100 cash. When can you deliver?
I hope this was for the Lysol wipes. I want in on that action too.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #25
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little confused, it almost reads like he's just getting exasperated in repeating certain details like the MK1, MK2 and MK3 are totally different units and maybe I'm reading this wrong, but somehow I have this weird feeling that he was hinting he wasn't in Vancouver?

Isn't Canuck audio mart also kinda like a Kijiji of HiFi audio equipment?

I don't think either sides were being outright jerks, but I think there is some huge misunderstanding between the two parties and he did get a little frustrated by the end.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #26
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Me: *exists in the riots thread *
CP: Yes
I mean, when you've been banned from a site on multiple occasions, it might be a sign.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #27
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm a little confused, it almost reads like he's just getting exasperated in repeating certain details like the MK1, MK2 and MK3 are totally different units and maybe I'm reading this wrong, but somehow I have this weird feeling that he was hinting he wasn't in Vancouver?

Isn't Canuck audio mart also kinda like a Kijiji of HiFi audio equipment?

I don't think either sides were being outright jerks, but I think there is some huge misunderstanding between the two parties and he did get a little frustrated by the end.
I am not really sure what he might have been exasperated about. What I posted was our entire exchange, start to finish. So, basically those 3 emails from me, plus the apology for seeming to piss him off.

He's in Canada, but not Van; I didn't want to post any identifying info. If the stuff was valuable enough to move, I would have made the trip to Van to pick it up, but since it doesn't seem like it is, it would make sense (to me) to just sell it in Van instead.

With respect to the models, I basically browsed that site, saw an ad for the same model of turntable (mk1), found the business info and emailed him what I posted here thus beginning this (sans pics). I assume he mentioned the mk2/mk3 because they are probably more sought after than the earlier mk1 so as to temper my expectations.

Last edited by Wormius; 06-25-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #28
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think either of you were jerks, although he did seem a little frustrated near the end. Keep in mind that being a small business owner is tough, especially these days, and one selling luxury items at that. For you, it is a matter of making a few bucks, but for him, it is a livelihood and a few hundred bucks could be a big deal.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #29
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Meh, if you're bold enough to ask someone if he knows someone else you can do business with instead of him, be ready for a bold response.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #30
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Meh, if you're bold enough to ask someone if he knows someone else you can do business with instead of him, be ready for a bold response.

I guess what I was thinking was, sometimes you go to a business and if they either don't provide a service or don't have the thing you need, sometimes they like to throw a business they know a bone as a courtesy, and usually the other business will reciprocate. Maybe that could got misinterpreted as me trying to steal a customer, when I was just looking for a similar business that would just buy it from me, restore it, and sell it. Maybe that's considered bad as well.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #31
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am not really sure what he might have been exasperated about. What I posted was our entire exchange, start to finish. So, basically those 3 emails from me, plus the apology for seeming to piss him off.

He's in Canada, but not Van; I didn't want to post any identifying info. If the stuff was valuable enough to move, I would have made the trip to Van to pick it up, but since it doesn't seem like it is, it would make sense (to me) to just sell it in Van instead.

With respect to the models, I basically browsed that site, saw an ad for the same model of turntable (mk1), found the business info and emailed him what I posted here thus beginning this (sans pics). I assume he mentioned the mk2/mk3 because they are probably more sought after than the earlier mk1 so as to temper my expectations.
It's possible that his exasperation isn't in a vacuum with you. It's possible something else happened and you just kinda wandered in at the wrong time and he blew up. Sure, as a business you're kinda expected to grin and bear it, but with Covid, it's possible he's dealing with a lot of dead ends and people basically wasting his time and/or other unrelated powder kegs just waiting to go off.

I think most of us agree you can walk back into the world with the understanding it was a bit of a misunderstanding and no one was being an ass on purpose. Most of us would probably quickly forget about an exchange like this, but if it's still really bugging you, I guess you can leave a positive review or something like that along the lines of, "This dude spent the time to have a detailed and informative discussion with me about some equipment. I didn't end up completing a transaction with him, but I don't have issues saying he's knows his stuff." and then emailing him again to further your apology and thanking him for his time?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 01:01 PM   #32
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alrighty. I think that clears everything up. So who’s next?
Old 06-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #33
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I nominate Locke. He's a total a-hole.

That was an easy one, who's next?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #34
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Potential Client: Can you notarize my home-made-will I prepared myself?

Short answer: No.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #35
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The tone of the final email rubbed me the wrong way too, but you seem to recognize the information he was able to offer and seem grateful regardless. That's good, but I think you're justified in thinking that final message was off-putting.

The person shot himself in the foot by burning the bridge of cross-referrals and word of mouth, IMO. Had he known someone in the same industry that he could help out it would find returns. I've found that's a big thing especially for small businesses, regardless how far you're separated. Whenever someone gives me a lead to another service I always let that service know who sent me and I'm more likely to refer to them first.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #36
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
The tone of the final email rubbed me the wrong way too, but you seem to recognize the information he was able to offer and seem grateful regardless. That's good, but I think you're justified in thinking that final message was off-putting.

The person shot himself in the foot by burning the bridge of cross-referrals and word of mouth, IMO. Had he known someone in the same industry that he could help out it would find returns. I've found that's a big thing especially for small businesses, regardless how far you're separated. Whenever someone gives me a lead to another service I always let that service know who sent me and I'm more likely to refer to them first.

This a thousand times, audio, especially second hand is a small niche area, and Calgary and Vancouver are two cities where if you have half a brain you make sure you have a contact in your opposite city, you pass clients on to them and they back to you.

He may not be a dick but he is a moron, he isnt losing any business because it wasnt there in the first place, what he has done though is lost a potential referral from a grateful shop in Vancouver (well Surrey, again go to Innovative Audio) returning a favour and the possibility that he builds a good reputation and more referrals from people in Calgary, this story could just as easily be in the 'hey I found a great shop, you guys should go there' than in the 'Hey guys was he being a dick?' section.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #37
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

I sense some bitterness still towards Bill Smith.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #38
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I guess what I was thinking was, sometimes you go to a business and if they either don't provide a service or don't have the thing you need, sometimes they like to throw a business they know a bone as a courtesy, and usually the other business will reciprocate. Maybe that could got misinterpreted as me trying to steal a customer, when I was just looking for a similar business that would just buy it from me, restore it, and sell it. Maybe that's considered bad as well.
Yeah, and hey, I'm super conservative about 'asking people for stuff' like free advice, but my GF has nooo problem asking those extra few awkward questions to see if there's an additional discount. Its mostly down to style, I'm likely too conservative in my hesitancy to ask for anything.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #39
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Do those Will kits at Staples hold any water?
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #40
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Do those Will kits at Staples hold any water?
You might have better luck buying a bucket.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:

Tags
"what am i?"