Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #241
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Seems bad to hurt animals if you ask me.
Depends on the animals because we weirdly classify based on cuteness.

Example, I will celebrate if a wasps nest gets blowtorched. Any and all of them actually. Mosquitos? F those guys. What about rabbits when they overpopulate? seems commonplace to dispose of them in such instances. In Texas they hunt hogs like crazy, they are pests.

I would agree that randomly hurting cats is not very nice and kind of weird, but I also think it's incredibly disrespectful to both the animal and your community to not be a good pet owner and (personally) I believe this includes not letting your cat roam wherever it wants. If you're going to do that, I think you need to be prepared to accept the risks that doing so exposes your cat to- which is unnecessarily cruel people sometimes.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #242
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Depends on the animals because we weirdly classify based on cuteness.

I seem to recall before one of the Beijing Olympics that people were up in arms that the Chinese government was killing cats to keep them from being a nuisance during the games.

Then people found out they were civet cats and a lot of that outrage disappeared.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #243
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
And Edmonton has quite the scent, hence, it is no good.

ETA: And whoosh, I think.
Ha Oh yeah, total whoosh here. my speciality really.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 07:22 PM   #244
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Who the fata wants a cat for 15 years, though? My family was going down the cat road again recently and I was like, there is no way in hell I want to be fataing around with this same cat when I'm 60.
I don't know you, but I can help you with this; you don't. Cats are terrible pets. They wreck things, they're disloyal and if you die they'll definitely eat your decaying body if no one finds you.

I know your history here, but I'll just say it anyway. Dogs are where it's at. If you decide to get a pet (and truthfully, I'm not sure why you would), a dog is a million times the pet a cat is. I didn't grow up with dogs or cats, and have both now. I'm not sure about getting another pet at all, but if I do it would be a dog.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #245
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah no competition. Dogs ####ing rule.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 07:36 PM   #246
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I grew up with both, own a cat, and he's great. Always in the room with me, doesn't wreck anything, always a good companion, but doesn't require constant attention or work. You really just need to get the right one and socialize it properly.

I have no idea if he'll eat me if I die suddenly and no one finds me, but I don't really care. Go nuts, little dude, I'm not using it anymore.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:52 PM   #247
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

You know how to instantly tell if someone is a bad human? They dislike cute, furry animals.

There are no bad pets, only bad pet owners.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:57 PM   #248
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love my dog and I be devastated when he eventually dies. It's just that having him means it's harder to do some things like travel or spur of the moment trips for a weekend or whatever. That's my prime hesitation on why I might not get another at that point.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #249
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I love my dog and I be devastated when he eventually dies. It's just that having him means it's harder to do some things like travel or spur of the moment trips for a weekend or whatever. That's my prime hesitation on why I might not get another at that point.
Do you let him crap all over the place, respect for other peoples property be damned??

That’s the issue at hand really. I don’t get how Slivers position is controversial.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #250
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't know you, but I can help you with this; you don't. Cats are terrible pets. They wreck things, they're disloyal and if you die they'll definitely eat your decaying body if no one finds you.

I know your history here, but I'll just say it anyway. Dogs are where it's at. If you decide to get a pet (and truthfully, I'm not sure why you would), a dog is a million times the pet a cat is. I didn't grow up with dogs or cats, and have both now. I'm not sure about getting another pet at all, but if I do it would be a dog.
Dogs suck. They're loud, smelly, drool everywhere, and in my experience are way more destructive than cats. Growing up we always had cats in the house and never had an issue with them breaking stuff, as long as they had access to a scratching post. They were playful, affectionate, kept our house and yard rodent free, and the only maintenance they needed was a clean litter box and a full food/water dish. My buddy with a rottweiler and chihuahua though can't wait for them to die. The rotty destroys so much stuff, he's given up trying to have blinds or curtains in his living room. And the chihuahua pisses and ####s everywhere, they have to keep him in diapers 24/7 but he still managed to wiggle out and take a nice steamy crap on the carpet. He also has to take the rottweiler on daily walks regardless of the weather lest he get even more destructively restless

And even if you don't have dogs, if your neighbors do they can still be a problem. Some people in our area have a habit of leaving their little yappy piece of crap outside at night and it will bark non stop until they finally get off their ass to bring it back inside. Can't say I've ever had any issues with neighbors cats. On this issue I'm decidedly in camp Sliver, dogs suck
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 09:13 PM   #251
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dogs are awesome. The problem is when people get a high energy breed then don't let them burn that energy. I know a Rotty would be a nightmare for me, since I'm not going to engage it enough to stop it from going nuts.

Like Cecil said there aren't bad pets, just bad pet owners

Last edited by btimbit; 11-30-2021 at 09:16 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 09:29 PM   #252
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Do you let him crap all over the place, respect for other peoples property be damned??

That’s the issue at hand really. I don’t get how Slivers position is controversial.
Oh it's not controversial at all. I was just responding to his earlier point about wanting a cat for 15 years.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:13 PM   #253
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had a thought when I saw this thread bumped. Our receptionist at work is an out spoken pro virus person. I'm actually mildly annoyed that she's still allowed in the building, especially considering she's the one checking guests proof of vaccination. But she's been put in a plexiglass bubble and told not to leave it while working.

Her desk is the only one within earshot of our lunchroom, so I have taken to during lunch instigating very loud conversations about how stupid, uninformed, cowardly, and hypocritical the pro virus crowd is, amongst other derisive statements.

She hasn't mustered the courage to say anything yet.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #254
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Update - I dropped the box off on their doorstep yesterday. Later in the afternoon I saw one of the daughters and she usually waves in a neighborly way while driving by. This time no eye contact was made.

Maybe unrelated and I'm reading too much into that, or maybe it was hers and she's mortified. Whatever, its done now
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:11 PM   #255
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Update - I dropped the box off on their doorstep yesterday. Later in the afternoon I saw one of the daughters and she usually waves in a neighborly way while driving by. This time no eye contact was made.

Maybe unrelated and I'm reading too much into that, or maybe it was hers and she's mortified. Whatever, its done now
So a couple with two girls? And they're getting vibrators delivered to the house? I hope they are all cool with not opening each others packages.

Honestly I'm having a hard time imagining you opening someone else's mail one day and finding a sex toy. And then doing it again the next day, all while keeping the sex toy in your possession.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #256
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So a couple with two girls? And they're getting vibrators delivered to the house? I hope they are all cool with not opening each others packages.

Honestly I'm having a hard time imagining you opening someone else's mail one day and finding a sex toy. And then doing it again the next day, all while keeping the sex toy in your possession.
I know. He's probably now going to be known as the creepy perv next door.

God I hope he didn't do what his friend suggested and leave a bottle of wine with it. (Calgary14, your friend has bad instincts. don't ever take his advice)
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #257
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He should have left it with a bottle of wine and his business card.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:27 PM   #258
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I hope they are all cool with not opening each others packages.
This is something I just don't understand. Do people really just get mail and rip it open, regardless of who it's for? Are they all single and just expect everything to be for them? Is it just a free for all and whoever gets the mail gets to open it, regardless of who it's mailed to? Do people not have spouses, kids or roomies, or does that not matter, mail free for all! Rip 'er open!

I just don't understand this. Would you rip open your spouses mail? Your kids? Who doesn't look at the name on the package to see if it actually belongs to them, before going to town?

From what I've seen (this sort of thing popped up in several places at once, amusingly) most folks don't give two sh*ts about who mail is actually addressed to, and just go to town if it shows up at their place. Fascinating.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 02:36 PM   #259
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post

was a note or a bottle of wine attached?

Also, Dogs sucks (why do you think they've invented Dog spray and not Cat spray?)
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #260
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Dogs are awesome. The problem is when people get a high energy breed then don't let them burn that energy. I know a Rotty would be a nightmare for me, since I'm not going to engage it enough to stop it from going nuts.

Like Cecil said there aren't bad pets, just bad pet owners
This is a gear grinder for me. I used to have a Bernese Mountain Dog with an ex of mine.

Big dog. 110 lbs or so (was a female so a bit smaller). We lived in a condo that was about 1300 sq ft.

People would constantly remark "how could you keep such a big dog in a condo!?"

WTF does it matter to you?

Bernese are one of the laziest breeds available. That dog got pack walked every afternoon for 3 hours and you could barely get her outside at night as she was wiped. We also walked her every morning and twice at night.

I've looked after a few of my friends small dogs - "good condo dogs" - and F that. Those dogs were so damn hyper i couldnt play them out.

also most of the people commenting on it lived in a house with a big dog. You think that dog is capitalizing on that extra 1000-1200 sq ft? Does that dog just love the four bedrooms?

Their idea of giving a dog exercise was letting it out to the backyard to pee. Here you go Roofus, go run in circles out here alone.

RGMG
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:

Tags
"what am i?"