Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2022, 10:55 AM   #601
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I see that old motel around 90th Ave and McLeod has been demolished and looks like a car wash being built there now.

Stetson Inn was the name of it.

https://livewirecalgary.com/2020/10/...s-in-business/

Last edited by Macman; 02-09-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:01 AM   #602
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, I believe it's going to be one of those high end ones. Hopefully, it is.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:22 PM   #603
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Best Buy in Beacon Hills is gone. That's a very recent development I think

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Just came to post the same thing. Was only here 2nd week of January to get my Tax program and some other stuff. Remember first it was a Future Shop and I swear the change over wasn’t that long ago… maybe 2years?

Is there a NW replacement or is it northland now? Another sign big box stores are having tough times.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:30 PM   #604
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the Future Shops were closed almost 7 years ago, in March 2015.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:24 PM   #605
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They were simply ahead of their time.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 01:24 AM   #606
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
And really they were basically dead long before that. That was just when the last of them closed.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:21 AM   #607
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
And really they were basically dead long before that. That was just when the last of them closed.
It was more of consolidating the Best Buy brand IMO. Best Buy owned Future Shop, and they used to have so many locations that were close to each other, and direct competitors. It just didn’t make sense.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:52 AM   #608
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
It was more of consolidating the Best Buy brand IMO. Best Buy owned Future Shop, and they used to have so many locations that were close to each other, and direct competitors. It just didn’t make sense.
Yup, just like Indigo and Chapters
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 12:09 PM   #609
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was in the early days of online knowledge. Most people didn’t know that Best Buy and Future Shop we’re one company. The idea was twofold. Block competitors from getting key real estate locations and create the illusion of competition because people like to shop at more than 1 place before making a purchase.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:53 PM   #610
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Best Buy always owned Future Shop - Best Buy purchased them at some point after moving up from the US. So they were actual competitors at one point.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:51 PM   #611
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I could be wrong, but I don’t think Best Buy always owned Future Shop - Best Buy purchased them at some point after moving up from the US. So they were actual competitors at one point.
The way I remember it is that Best Buy came to Canada and didn't have their employees work for commission like Futureshop did, which meant it was a vastly superior experience for the customers. Futureshop was basically already dead by the time BB bought them, which I'm guessing was simply a real estate deal for them considering how many old FS stores ended up getting rebranded to Best Buy
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 04:43 PM   #612
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The way I remember it is that Best Buy came to Canada and didn't have their employees work for commission like Futureshop did, which meant it was a vastly superior experience for the customers. Futureshop was basically already dead by the time BB bought them, which I'm guessing was simply a real estate deal for them considering how many old FS stores ended up getting rebranded to Best Buy

Back in yonder yore days or Northland Mall... when they had both BB and FS only about 100m apart it was easy to "price shop" by walking back and forth.
I didn't realize FS went under 7yrs ago. Wow.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:48 PM   #613
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Just came to post the same thing. Was only here 2nd week of January to get my Tax program and some other stuff. Remember first it was a Future Shop and I swear the change over wasn’t that long ago… maybe 2years?

Is there a NW replacement or is it northland now? Another sign big box stores are having tough times.
I think Northland is the only one in the NW now. From Tuscany the West Hills store would be the next closest option, assuming it’s still there.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:52 PM   #614
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Future Shop had been around since the 80s, with a big expansion push in the 90s, including opening a bunch of stores in the States. Their US endeavor failed, but they were pretty much the only game in town in Canada (except for a few smaller players, like A&B Sound).

Best Buy bought Future Shop in 2001 and ran the two brands as competitors when they started opening Best Buy branded stores in 2002. Like at Northland, Deerfoot Meadows, and Sunridge, they often opened both brands in very close proximity to each other.

They operated as separate brands for over a decade.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:55 AM   #615
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh the memories of browsing the PC games at Future Shop Northland Village. Nostalgia.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 11:10 AM   #616
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Future Shop had been around since the 80s, with a big expansion push in the 90s, including opening a bunch of stores in the States. Their US endeavor failed, but they were pretty much the only game in town in Canada (except for a few smaller players, like A&B Sound).

Best Buy bought Future Shop in 2001 and ran the two brands as competitors when they started opening Best Buy branded stores in 2002. Like at Northland, Deerfoot Meadows, and Sunridge, they often opened both brands in very close proximity to each other.

They operated as separate brands for over a decade.
My favourite joke around the time they sunset the Futureshop brand was along the lines of “BestBuy embarrassed to learn it’s been running identical stores directly across from eachother for the last 10 years.”

But yeah that was a strange time in Canadian retail.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:12 AM   #617
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I loved Future Shop, browsing their stores was part of what helped get me into the career I have today. Yeah it's nerdy, but Future Shop was a big part of my youth. I do think about that place regularly.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 11:15 AM   #618
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That was in the early days of online knowledge. Most people didn’t know that Best Buy and Future Shop we’re one company. The idea was twofold. Block competitors from getting key real estate locations and create the illusion of competition because people like to shop at more than 1 place before making a purchase.
I don't feel that's how it was back in the day myself. I recall the media being pretty heavy on stating that Best Buy had purchased Future Shop and everyone I hung around knew it right away and speculated it was a countdown until Best Buy closed the Future Shop brand.

I remember everyone always joking that the same store would release two flyers under different names each week to make you feel like you were choosing between competitors.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:17 AM   #619
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Compared to BB I couldnt stand Future Shop because of the commissions. You'd get bombarded as soon as you walked into the store. BB staff were/are helpful but not pushy. That said - Future Shop was annoying but nothing compared to the Brick
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #620
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Compared to BB I couldnt stand Future Shop because of the commissions. You'd get bombarded as soon as you walked into the store. BB staff were/are helpful but not pushy. That said - Future Shop was annoying but nothing compared to the Brick
I found it fine. I'd know exactly what I wanted walk in, get accosted, and start sending them out to be my personal shoppers, while I browsed the video game aisle. They'd come by with my camera, memory card, camera case etc, and I'd go pay and get out. It was great.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote