Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Ridley Scott's Prometheus

Figured now would be a good time as any to start a thread about this, instead of it buried in another thread.

We've all seen the trailer that was released a month ago.

The viral video, TEDtalk

Now they've released a cool albeit, creepy viral video for the movie.

Can't wait for this, Fassbender is one of the better actors out there lately
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for starting the thread. I'm looking forward to seeing this at some point during its release, will be neat to see another species from the Alien movies in the mix.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm so excited to see this, maybe even more than for The Dark Knight Rises.
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grimbl420 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just wanted to point out that people will be misled about this movie since a lot of people will think it's a prequel to Alien. I remember reading somewhere, I think it's on IMDB, that the story line has nothing to do with the Alien series... only similarity is obviously Riddley Scott as the director.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
Just wanted to point out that people will be misled about this movie since a lot of people will think it's a prequel to Alien. I remember reading somewhere, I think it's on IMDB, that the story line has nothing to do with the Alien series... only similarity is obviously Riddley Scott as the director.
It certainly has some connections to the Aliens movies, but isn't a direct sequel or anything.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It takes place in the same universe as Alien and precedes it, but they're not really directly connected. My understanding is that it deals with the Mala'kaks (Space Jokey) seen in Alien.

Last edited by Grimbl420; 04-20-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grimbl420 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am so frelling stoked for this movie.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, and the two teasers above are another big hint to the links between with the original Alien films, referencing Weyland, the corporation that was involved in the earlier ones (called Weyland-Yutani in those ones).
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My understanding is it addresses the story of the Space Jockey seen at the beginning of the first Alien.

I haven't so eagerly anticipated a movie in probably 10 years.

https://www.weylandindustries.com/
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
My understanding is it addresses the story of the Space Jockey seen at the beginning of the first Alien.

I haven't so eagerly anticipated a movie in probably 10 years.
I haven't watched the series in such a long time, but I'm pretty stoked for this movie.

The cast is strong as hell too, besides Fassbender, Naomi Repace (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Guy Pearce, Charlize Theoron, Ibris Elba.

Some huge potential blockbusters this summer. Between this, The Avengers, and Dark Knight Rises we could see some big movies, hoping all three live up to the hype, and a couple like Amazing Spiderman and Total Recall surprise.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I haven't watched the series in such a long time, but I'm pretty stoked for this movie.

The cast is strong as hell too, besides Fassbender, Naomi Repace (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Guy Pearce, Charlize Theoron, Ibris Elba.

Some huge potential blockbusters this summer. Between this, The Avengers, and Dark Knight Rises we could see some big movies, hoping all three live up to the hype, and a couple like Amazing Spiderman and Total Recall surprise.
I think I'm almost hyped up for Prometheus than Avengers or DKR. Scott directing combined with the cast can't let me down! Right? Right?!!!

Avengers will be awesome I'm sure, but at it's heart, it's still a popcorn movie. A well done one I hope, but popcorn none the less. And as for Batman, no way it can top TDK.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Am I the only guy that thinks the Avengers will be awful?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Yes. I've heard 2 early "reviews" and both said it was amazing. Both huge comic book nerds. (Joe Casey and Ralph Garman)

This movie will not be lame like Fantastic Four.

Edit: just in case people aren't aware Joe Casey is a comic book writer, and a pretty good one at that, he also co-created Ben Ten (I think that is what it is called) and is responsible for the current incarnation of the Spiderman cartoon that premiered on DisneyXD on April 1st. Ralph Garman is a radio personality in LA who is a hardcore comic book fan.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 04-20-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I've got a pretty open mind about The Avengers, I was never a fan growing up and still am not a huge fan of the book or any of the individual character books, but I very much enjoyed both Iron Man and then Thor. I thought the Edward Norton Incredible Hulk was good too. The trailer for the Avengers looks really good, and I have Joss Wheadon can make this a 'splosion fun movie, but not forget good solid dialogue driven story telling. Unlike Spiderman, which I loved as a kid, I'm unbiased when it comes to the Avengers and I'm looking forward to it.

They got the casting for Captain America wrong, so that movie suffered and I hope The Avengers doesn't suffer because of it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

This movie will not be lame like FAntastic Four.
One horrible common denominator though
NSFW!

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 04-20-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, they've made changes several times and each time it moved further away from the original "prequel to Alien" idea. There's going to be a lot of disappointed people who didn't get the memo.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I've got a pretty open mind about The Avengers, I was never a fan growing up and still am not a huge fan of the book or any of the individual character books, but I very much enjoyed both Iron Man and then Thor. I thought the Edward Norton Incredible Hulk was good too. The trailer for the Avengers looks really good, and I have Joss Wheadon can make this a 'splosion fun movie, but not forget good solid dialogue driven story telling. Unlike Spiderman, which I loved as a kid, I'm unbiased when it comes to the Avengers and I'm looking forward to it.

They got the casting for Captain America wrong, so that movie suffered and I hope The Avengers doesn't suffer because of it either.

Speaking of Ed Norton as Hulk, Ralph Garman said he much preferred Mark Ruffalo, which I thought was interesting. Norton is a good actor and played the part well.

Dammit I just noticed we're getting off track in the Prometheus thread. We should be talking about this in the Comic book thread or a new Avengers thread.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
bugsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't think Ridley has done sci fi since Blade Runner. Pretty decent shoes to fill there.
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
Don't think Ridley has done sci fi since Blade Runner. Pretty decent shoes to fill there.

He hasn't. Hence why I've heaped boatloads of expectation on this film. Scott is one of my favorite directors.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
bugsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Am probably in the minority but I've got a fondness for his sci/fi and fantasy material (Alien, Blade Runner and yes even Legend), but am less enthralled with his contemporary and historical movies. Kingdom of Heaven had some promise til Orlando showed up. Which was reasonably often as it turns out.
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #20
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
Am probably in the minority but I've got a fondness for his sci/fi and fantasy material (Alien, Blade Runner and yes even Legend), but am less enthralled with his contemporary and historical movies. Kingdom of Heaven had some promise til Orlando showed up. Which was reasonably often as it turns out.
Which cut of Kingdom of Heaven are we talking? The directors cut is light years ahead of theatrical version.

And I loved me some Gladiator back in the day.

Haven't seen Robin Hood though. Word of Mouth killed that one for me