Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2024, 08:23 PM   #14001
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sharpie ink is expensive! That stuff is like Unicorn Blood!
I know this is a joke but it's crazy how cheap sharpie pens are now compared to like 10 years ago.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:10 PM   #14002
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
I know this is a joke but it's crazy how cheap sharpie pens are now compared to like 10 years ago.
I usually reserve my 'Unicorn Blood' jokes for the cost of Printer Toner. It is outrageous.

I cant wait until we're 100% digital and all those bastards go bust.

I will urinate upon their graves.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:18 PM   #14003
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Honestly, a mental health crisis is obviously troubling, but in addition to mental health issues this guy is also a giant a-hole. No need to inconvenience 100,000 people when you could just uber to the foothills instead. This guy is a tit.
The level of ignorance is heartbreaking.

Last edited by jayswin; 03-28-2024 at 10:55 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 10:19 PM   #14004
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Totally. Like, I get the mental health crisis/mental breakdown thing, I do, we’ve all been there am I right? But like, I’m just not sure why someone who is considering putting a permanent end to their life can’t stop for one minute to consider all the commuters he’s completely inconvenienced by 5, 10, hell, even 20 minutes here.

Like, sure? do your business? cool? but maybe think of my time while you’re at it for once, you know?
Not even worth the time with him in this stuff.

Last edited by jayswin; 03-28-2024 at 10:55 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:13 AM   #14005
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Sliver is being serious and Pepsi is trolling. If that is indeed the case I'm more on Pepsi's side. Of course it's inconvenient for the commuters but the person on the bridge is having an extreme episode, I think we can be more empathetic.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:20 AM   #14006
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Years ago when I did security at GM, some guy had a medical episode in the cafeteria right before breakfast time; guys could come in and get food, but they couldn't sit in the cafeteria because the paramedics were working on the guy. I tell one guy he can't sit, and we're 5 feet away from the paramedics, and he just looks at me holding his tray of food and asks "Where am I supposed to eat then?"

Many people have no empathy whatsoever.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:42 AM   #14007
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I usually reserve my 'Unicorn Blood' jokes for the cost of Printer Toner. It is outrageous.

I cant wait until we're 100% digital and all those bastards go bust.

I will urinate upon their graves.
Printers are an absolute gear grinder. First the toner is ridiculously expensive. Then you seem to need to use the printer so infrequently, and mine is always “offline” for no apparent reason. Like with all of the great things tech can do, printer companies have managed to learn and implement none of it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:44 AM   #14008
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
I think Sliver is being serious and Pepsi is trolling. If that is indeed the case I'm more on Pepsi's side. Of course it's inconvenient for the commuters but the person on the bridge is having an extreme episode, I think we can be more empathetic.
I think Pepsi’s post is extremely obvious tongue in cheek.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:53 AM   #14009
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Printers are an absolute gear grinder. First the toner is ridiculously expensive. Then you seem to need to use the printer so infrequently, and mine is always “offline” for no apparent reason. Like with all of the great things tech can do, printer companies have managed to learn and implement none of it.
The closest I have come to rate smashing a piece of technology is a printer. Pieces of crap all of them, always struggling with connection issues. My mother in law has decided she doesn’t need one and sends stuff for us to print. Really grinds my gears when then demon thing doesn’t work and I’m not even the one needing the printing.

Last edited by Whynotnow; 03-29-2024 at 08:20 AM.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 08:04 AM   #14010
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Printers and CRA go hand in hand. I only need them once a year and they’re dried up and dead to me by then.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 08:16 AM   #14011
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hand-in-hand with my printer hatred is that when I need one it’s for the most annoying purposes. Like a wet signature for Tangerine Bank. You’re a virtual bank and won’t accept a digital signature?! What the hell is going on over there?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:23 AM   #14012
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a laser printer. Ink doesn’t try out. Get lots of pages for a cartridge
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:08 AM   #14013
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
And they dont last!

I dont like the 'Disposable Economy' but Computer Products are just the worst.

When I first started my own business about 11 years ago, I found a Multi-Function Laser Printer/Scanner/Copier that I really liked. Connected well, toner was reasonable, stored a good amount of paper, etc.

So about 3 years later, and mind you, I do a LOT of printing but that is a gear to be ground another day, anyways the printer starts making this hideous grinding noise, so I call up this place that advertised Printer repairs.

It still works, all of its functions still function, but I cant take the risk of the thing crapping out on me during Tax Season, so its gotta get fixed.

I call up the place and this guy, and you know the type, you can just hear what he looks like over the phone. Heavy-set man, ill-fitting shirt, probably a gold chain, chomping on a cigar.

Anyways, thats not the point.

He tells me: "Yeah, I know whats wrong and I can fix it, but forget it. It'll cost you $400 to fix it and brand new that unit costs $300."

So...what? What're we doing here then?

"Throw it out and buy a new one."

So thats what I do. Every 3 years or so when they get a little long in the tooth and make hazardous noises I toss my printer into a dumpster and go out and buy a new one.

Well...not literally, I take the printer to an electronics recycling facility and they probably promptly toss it into a dumpster, but theres nothing I can do about that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 10:17 AM   #14014
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The level of ignorance is heartbreaking.
There's no ignorance whatsoever. This guy put his problems and issues ahead of a million other people for 20 hours. I don't need to give him a shoulder to cry on for that. I think he's a jerk.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:41 AM   #14015
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
There's no ignorance whatsoever. This guy put his problems and issues ahead of a million other people for 20 hours. I don't need to give him a shoulder to cry on for that. I think he's a jerk.
Don’t you need intent to be a jerk?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:40 PM   #14016
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

deer rgmg
there are an absurd number of deer living in kelowna (these are not deer that wander in from the valley mountains - these things have only known 'city life') and the city does nothing about it.
the deer absolutely destroy yards/landscaping and regularly eat stuff they aren't supposed to like/eat. if you don't have deer fencing on your cedars they will be gone in short order. some stupid deer broke thru our deer fencing 3 or 4 years ago (trying to run between cedars) and as a result they were able to destroy from the ground up to about 6'-7' a 20 year old cedar hedge in one night.
then there is the deer crap. this morning (since it's garbage day) my son and i went into the mine field... err... i mean back yard with a 5 gallon pail, a rake and a shovel. we got about 12 GALLONS of deer crap out of the back yard (5 gal pail 2/3 full 3 times plus a 4th pail about 1/2 full). it's not like i have a huge back yard... it's maybe 50'x20'. we're always chasing numerous deer out of yard. i don't know why they love our yard so much but it's sooooo frustrating.
and it's not like we make our yard inviting. if we have snow they get nailed with snow balls (oh head shots are soooooooooooo rewarding!!), when there is no snow i throw small rocks at them (i don't go for head shots with rocks - that's just cruel), constantly chase them out of the yard, spray coyote urine around the backyard - nothing seems to work.
last weekend i 'chased' a deer with a broken rear leg out of the yard 4 times. she wasn't moving very fast once she got up, so i kept my distance and made lots of noise/clapping until she'd leave the area, but the she'd come back a few hours later (i didn't have it in me to chuck rocks at her, she was having a rough enough day!)

i guess what bugs me the most is this is a common problem in the city. i don't understand why they can't just do a cull - it's not like deer are endangered. there are herds of 30-40 deer in our area... and with that many deer we now have coyotes in the city.
my idea would be to do a cull, get the deer meat to a local butcher and get deer jerky or pepperoni made from the meat. give the jerky/pepperoni to the gospel mission and food bank. not gonna lie... i'd try to get some of the jerky/pepperoni and hang it in my yard with a sign that says "YOU'RE NEXT!"
Old 03-29-2024, 12:46 PM   #14017
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
I think Pepsi’s post is extremely obvious tongue in cheek.
Thankfully that was evident.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:48 PM   #14018
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps if you could convince the city that deer are contributing to the dangers of wildfires, you might get somewhere. Experiments involving burning deer #### may be required.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:03 PM   #14019
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Re: Deer

Wasting disease apparently posing a very real risk of actually wiping out deer populations. Probably we should try to avoid accelerating that by culling them if we can.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:35 PM   #14020
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Perhaps if you could convince the city that deer are contributing to the dangers of wildfires, you might get somewhere. Experiments involving burning deer #### may be required.

honestly about fire hazards - one of the biggest hazards would be the amount of dead cedar "leaves" inside of cedar hedges around houses. it's almost impossible to get out all the dead stuff unless you remove the deer fencing.
so now you need to remove the deer fencing, get rid of all the dead stuff, then put the deer fencing back up - it's a HUGE pain... and should be done at least once (if not twice) per year - and i guarantee that is NOT happening!