Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2020, 09:53 PM   #1061
Terradude
Draft Pick

I’m so, so very sorry. I know your pain, or at least my pain in your situation. We are all here for you. Take care.
Terradude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terradude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 06:58 AM   #1062
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Firstly so very sorry for your loss. It is absolutely heart breaking I know. And over the last 45 years I have said, on numerous times, never again ..... but I can't face our house without an animal or 2 or 3 in it. There are so many animals that need a home and we have love to give so ....... Anyway, talk about all the funny, silly, happy times you had with your dog. Put a picture of her on your fridge. I'd like to know her name too and perhaps see a photo here. Talking really does help. Take care

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #1063
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Red Sky, I'm so sorry to hear this, always such a devastating loss to the whole family. It will hurt for awhile but hopefully eventually 16 years worth of memories will bring a smile to your face.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #1064
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the covid thing are we allowed to be in the room with the pet when they put her down? Our 18 year old cat is nearing the end and I'm torn with the decision of putting her down or trying to give her a lot of love and attention to the end. She was the first member of our family before kids and the dog and it's just hard to imagine her not being on our bed or next to me on the couch when I'm watching sports or playing video games. As a person that's never had to go through this it's definitely much more difficult than I ever imagined it would be.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #1065
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
With the covid thing are we allowed to be in the room with the pet when they put her down? Our 18 year old cat is nearing the end and I'm torn with the decision of putting her down or trying to give her a lot of love and attention to the end. She was the first member of our family before kids and the dog and it's just hard to imagine her not being on our bed or next to me on the couch when I'm watching sports or playing video games. As a person that's never had to go through this it's definitely much more difficult than I ever imagined it would be.
Unfortunately all I'm hearing is that vet clinic will not let you inside, you leave your pet at the door and they come get them and you have to wait in the parking lot. In the case of having a pet put down, I don't know if they make different arrangements?

I know there are vets that will come to your home under normal circumstances, again I don't know if this service would be available now.

Good luck, it's a very sad time for sure.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #1066
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Each clinic will have their own policy on this. This is the only procedure at my wife’s clinic where they allow family members into the back of the clinic. The family stands back as the vet does their part and the family can have their time after the vet backs away from the pet.

They do large animal work so they have areas that are a lot larger in order to accommodate horses and cattle, makes it easy for distance and disinfecting after. If it is time for you maybe call a vet that does work with large animals.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #1067
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Red Sky so sorry for you and your family.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #1068
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Unfortunately all I'm hearing is that vet clinic will not let you inside, you leave your pet at the door and they come get them and you have to wait in the parking lot. In the case of having a pet put down, I don't know if they make different arrangements?

I know there are vets that will come to your home under normal circumstances, again I don't know if this service would be available now.

Good luck, it's a very sad time for sure.
Having just experienced this, the Vet clinic in my neighbourhood (Aspen) allowed me to come in. All the staff were in gowns and masks but there was no requirement for me to wear a mask.

Thanks for all the kind messages. It means a lot.

Now that the snow has melted I know she left me some lovely reminders in the backyard that I will need to take care of when they harden...

Last edited by red sky; 04-23-2020 at 11:06 AM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #1069
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our cat passed overnight in her favorite place, on our bed lying between us. Being new to this I'm not sure what to do with her. I'm not going to discard her body like trash and not sure about other options with all the restrictions in place so I may just bury her in the backyard.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #1070
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Our cat passed overnight in her favorite place, on our bed lying between us. Being new to this I'm not sure what to do with her. I'm not going to discard her body like trash and not sure about other options with all the restrictions in place so I may just bury her in the backyard.
Sorry about your loss. Sounds like she went on her terms and happy.

Your Vet could offer a community cremation option if that interests you, it should cost close to $100.

Since it was natural causes you could bury her easily, any animal that has been euthanized needs to be down 6 ft minimum.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #1071
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you can, take a paw print or something to remember her by. I was unable to be there when my cat passed, and it is really nice to have that little keepsake.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #1072
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for your loss, EE. We have had our last 3 cats cremated. A pal of mine makes amazing decorative wood boxes that we have put the remains into.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #1073
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Sorry to read this. I lost Molly about a year ago now...heart breaking.

I do know that vets will still take care of cremation even now. a good friend of mine lost a dog a couple weeks ago. He already has her ashes back and sitting in his front room.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #1074
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks all for the kind words. I knew this day would come but you are never truly prepared as I would have never thought something like this would bring me to tears. She's been such good company for me over the years and it's simply not going to be the same without her.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #1075
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Thanks all for the kind words. I knew this day would come but you are never truly prepared as I would have never thought something like this would bring me to tears. She's been such good company for me over the years and it's simply not going to be the same without her.
They truly are a member of the family.

It hurts like hell when we lose one. Its more than OK to grieve, its necessary.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #1076
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm so sorry for your loss EE. Heartbreaking for sure.

I had my cat cremated and they make a beautiful wooden box with the name carved on top.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #1077
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for some advice.

We have a 10+ year old cat who has been steadily getting more and more aggressive. Today she bit a family member. I'm concerned about keeping her in the house, and not optimistic that a cat this old will be able to be re-homed. What are my euthanasia options?

Never been through something like this before.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #1078
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'm sure the humane society would be the best place to seek advice from. I don't think a 10 year old cat is likely to be put down due to aggression.

Worst case you should surrender her to the humane society.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #1079
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I'm sure the humane society would be the best place to seek advice from. I don't think a 10 year old cat is likely to be put down due to aggression.

Worst case you should surrender her to the humane society.
Yeah, you need to figure out the 'why' behind the aggression and deal with that. Cats rarely 'just eventually turn mean'.

The two major causes of aggressive turns are territory issues and health changes.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #1080
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

The humane society looks at all sorts of things with animals they take in. Ability to be adopted and temperament are 2 things taken into consideration. They also have a farm cat program where some outdoor cats go. Definitely worth a call. There is still a very real possibility that you surrender the cat and its euthanized anyway.

If you wish to have it put down though, call any vet and they should still be able to do something.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post: