Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #121
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #122
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man. The Hawks should be dragged through the s*** right now.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #123
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

This looks very bad on Duncan Keith and Johnaton Teows.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #124
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Absolutely brutal. The players involved in the bullying should feel extremely lucky they are not named.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:06 PM   #125
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well this just got a whole lot worse for everyone involved

That’s messed up
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 07:15 PM   #126
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
More details came out. So much for the no one knew statements.

The entire article is an awful read, and could potentially be triggering.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...flm-story.html

So not only are they blaming the victim but they also refused to alert authorities when a coach suggested they do so.

Jesus Christ, the hawks really are the biggest pieces of #### around.

Quote:
In the John Doe 1 case, the team’s attorneys argue that the former player didn’t exhaust the legal remedies available through the Illinois Human Rights Act or Illinois Worker’s Compensation Act as mandated by state law and that the suit wasn’t filed before the statute of limitations ran out.

In the John Doe 2 case, the team’s attorneys argue the Hawks didn’t legally “owe a duty” to warn potential future employers of Aldrich, such as Houghton High School or Miami University in Ohio, where he was accused of assaulting “a non-student adult” and a student in separate off-campus incidents in 2012, the university confirmed through public records requests. Neither person pursued charges.

The Houghton High School player was assaulted by Aldrich the next year.

Loggans contends that had the team acted on the initial complaints by two Hawks players — that Aldrich allegedly assaulted them during an overnight stay at his apartment in May 2010 — then the events at Miami and Houghton might not have occurred, and thus the Hawks should be held financially liable.

One of their top management coaches thought they should call the police and the organization refused to do that,” Loggans told the Tribune. “Had they done that, two things would’ve happened: First of all, John Doe 1 wouldn’t have been harassed on the ice in the future, as he was — he was bullied as a result of the common knowledge about what happened with Aldrich.

“And No. 2, John Doe 2 would never have been molested. Had there been a police investigation like Paul Vincent wanted, then all of these downstream places would’ve been on notice about what happened. … So their failure to call for a police investigation set the snowball rolling down the hill that caused all the rest of this to occur.”
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #127
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is absolutely disgusting. Everyone from ownership down to the players should be investigated and ashamed.

Completely ruins the dynasty they had. Just sickening to read about.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 07:32 PM   #128
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This story seems eerily similar to the US Gymnastics rapist.

Successful team employs rapist but team keeps winning so everyone covers it up and enables the sexual assault. But when the raping gets to be too out in the open, give the POS a good reference to work around kids somewhere else.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:36 PM   #129
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Insane.

Lots of people will be heading into damage control soon is my guess.

I’m surprised this could actually happen to be honest. You’d think someone in the group would have done something. Shown some leadership.

If it’s all proven in court I’m wondering if any of the coaches, management or players who did nothing will face reprocussions.

The article on TSN already has a few in damage control.

Last edited by Goriders; 07-22-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #130
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s all just super disappointing. Shatters the illusion of Toews’ leadership qualities and the legacy of that whole group. This type of behaviour doesn’t happen unless the captain and coach are condoning and participating. They were still young players at the time, but this is a lot to try and side step with any sort of appeal of growth since then.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:43 AM   #131
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
It’s all just super disappointing. Shatters the illusion of Toews’ leadership qualities and the legacy of that whole group. This type of behaviour doesn’t happen unless the captain and coach are condoning and participating. They were still young players at the time, but this is a lot to try and side step with any sort of appeal of growth since then.
Toews and Kane were 22 at the time, so I could at least see the argument even if it isn't a good one. Though Toews's complete denial of it just doesn't hold water to me.

Where were guys like Campbell, Madden, Sopel, Hossa, Sharp and even Keith? All of these guys were long past the point of age being an excuse.

It's hard to pin the blame on anyone specific, because for all we know it wasn't some black ace/tweener like Jack Skille or Brian Bickell, but a younger guy who was already playing a role and who we would otherwise be pinning the blame on. I think, eventually, it's going to come out. But what we do know is that there were a group of guys who didn't take it seriously and instead used it as ammo to bully another player, which is disgusting. I don't really care for the stories from a few players saying "oh everybody knew!" because great, if you all knew, why did you act this way and do nothing to help? That doesn't make it better.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #132
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand going to bat this hard for a pretty replaceable coach. Why not toss him out the door and go the full distance with investigations etc? Sure, wait until after the playoffs to fully investigate (after immediately removing the coach, of course). But this is long after many other scandals, they had to know this was inevitable and it would be an infinitely better, if not even POSITIVE, look for them to be fully upfront about the situation.

Just baffling.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #133
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I don't get Bergevin, Cheveldayoff, Quenneville claiming they didn't know until recently

Like you didn't question why the video coach suddenly left the organization?
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #134
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Nick Boynton says he specifically called out the coaches, Campbell, Sharp, and Kane specifically to the Blackhawk's independent investigators.

https://www.tsn.ca/boynton-investiga...knew-1.1674971

Quote:
Boynton, who was joined on the video call by his lawyer, told four attorneys with the law firm Jenner & Block that he remembered how former Blackhawks forward had first told him during the 2010 NHL playoffs that two of their teammates had been sexually assaulted by Brad Aldrich, who was then Chicago’s video coach.

Boynton told investigators that, at the request of those teammates, he approached skills coach Paul Vincent, hoping that the retired police officer would convince the club’s management to fire Aldrich and report the allegations to police.

Boynton, who played seven games with the Blackhawks in the 2009-10 championship season and 41 games with the team the following year, said in his Zoom interview that many of Chicago’s top stars knew about the abuse, based on their conversations in the locker room.

“They asked me who knew and I gave them names, basically everybody on the team,” Boynton told TSN in an interview on Wednesday. “I said everybody f---ing knew about it. I said you can talk to the coaches. …I said talk to Torch [former assistant coach John Torchetti]. I called out Brian Campbell, and said talk to Patrick Sharp and talk to Kaner [Patrick Kane]. …The training staff knew. I’m sick of this wall of silence.”

Jake Dowell disputes Boynton's recollection. Which is interesting because Dowell backed up Aliu's allegations against Bill Peters about the N-word, however he claimed that Peters apologized to Aliu when Aliu said Peters didn't.

Quote:
“It’s foggy to me,” Dowell said in an interview. “I remember after Brad was let go after 2010 we started to hear some rumblings, but I don’t know how much truth there was to it.”

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-29-2021 at 03:11 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #135
Dont_trash_Dion
Farm Team Player

Exp:

See Special Advisor Scotty Run!!!
Dont_trash_Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #136
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

It's looking worse. Yikes.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:53 PM   #137
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Toews and Kane were 22 at the time, so I could at least see the argument even if it isn't a good one. Though Toews's complete denial of it just doesn't hold water to me.

Where were guys like Campbell, Madden, Sopel, Hossa, Sharp and even Keith? All of these guys were long past the point of age being an excuse.

It's hard to pin the blame on anyone specific, because for all we know it wasn't some black ace/tweener like Jack Skille or Brian Bickell, but a younger guy who was already playing a role and who we would otherwise be pinning the blame on. I think, eventually, it's going to come out. But what we do know is that there were a group of guys who didn't take it seriously and instead used it as ammo to bully another player, which is disgusting. I don't really care for the stories from a few players saying "oh everybody knew!" because great, if you all knew, why did you act this way and do nothing to help? That doesn't make it better.
It's clear that Chicago is signalling out Keith, by punishing him by sending him to Edmonton. That's pretty mean spirited of them, but justified,
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:59 PM   #138
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

All this pain, suffering and torment....and they covered it all to save the career of your video coach?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 04:02 PM   #139
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
It's clear that Chicago is signalling out Keith, by punishing him by sending him to Edmonton. That's pretty mean spirited of them, but justified,
Seriously? This is a serious and important issue. Can there not be pointlessly dragging anti-Edmonton stiff into here to? It already bogs down every single thread and making light here just seems wrong.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #140
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tough news to hear. Sad to see this in the game. Unhealthy cultures can exist anywhere and culture is just repeated human behavior and understanding of those actions. Doesn't take much to build a poor culture.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote