Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #21
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If we're playing someone on their off side, I'd put Johnny there, Lindholm at C and Tkachuk on the LW.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:31 PM   #22
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Kicking the best centre in the roster to the wing is the wrong decision 1000 out of 1000 times.

Punt someone else.

I will match your effort here.

Wrong.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:28 PM   #23
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I just don’t think a game against a weak D and goaltending is the acid test. And that line scored one goal on a giveaway IIRC. I’m fine with giving it a try. But against teams with two offensive lines like Toronto and Winnipeg, I’m pretty nervous. When Ryan comes back maybe that helps the depth.
Ottawa hasn't been playing like a weak team lately though. Plus, it's not even so much the result, it was more so the process. I haven't seen the team look so strong on pucks, clean on exits, good on the cycle and etc. The lines had considerably more chemistry and they seemed to be generating chances at will. Who knows, maybe they lay an egg on Monday, but I'm a lot more confident in the current line up then whatever else we've seen previously.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 08:31 PM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Ottawa hasn't been playing like a weak team lately though. Plus, it's not even so much the result, it was more so the process. I haven't seen the team look so strong on pucks, clean on exits, good on the cycle and etc. The lines had considerably more chemistry and they seemed to be generating chances at will. Who knows, maybe they lay an egg on Monday, but I'm a lot more confident in the current line up then whatever else we've seen previously.
No, but they are still a team Calgary should beat new lines or old lines. Player for player Calgary is better.

I want to see the present lines play against a team that doesn’t step back on them. Johnny has always eaten up that kind of D. Ottawa’s better play is on the back of their offence, not good D.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:49 PM   #25
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
For the record though, I still prefer the line up we saw today. If Lindholm needs to play on the RW for this team to be successful, then so be it.
I see it as what's best for the short term vs what's best for the long term; and how the team defines "successful".

We need points now if there's any chance of making the playoffs and playing Lindholm at RW is likely the fastest way to get results.

However, I do think Lindholm at #1 centre is the best situation long term and that's the difficulty.
That transition will have some growing pains and Monahan at RW may not work at all, so we have a greater chance of missing the playoffs this season trying to figure that out.

Tough call.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 10:31 PM   #26
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I see it as what's best for the short term vs what's best for the long term; and how the team defines "successful".

We need points now if there's any chance of making the playoffs and playing Lindholm at RW is likely the fastest way to get results.

However, I do think Lindholm at #1 centre is the best situation long term and that's the difficulty.
That transition will have some growing pains and Monahan at RW may not work at all, so we have a greater chance of missing the playoffs this season trying to figure that out.

Tough call.

Simple call, IMO

Short season, you don’t eat a year of many great contracts to fart around and see what you might be able to blend up.

If you want to play Lindholm at C, tell Tre to get a right winger that can do the job as well as Lindholm

Win the battle and determine how to staff appropriately for the war

Until then, ice your best mix of 12
Old 02-27-2021, 10:48 PM   #27
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Much of the year the Flames have looked slow and out of sync. They are hesitant like a team always wondering if they are really in the right spot. Today they looked more instinctual and seemed quicker. Stick with this as long as you can. It probably is the most likely path to success for this group.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:56 PM   #28
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Much of the year the Flames have looked slow and out of sync. They are hesitant like a team always wondering if they are really in the right spot. Today they looked more instinctual and seemed quicker. Stick with this as long as you can. It probably is the most likely path to success for this group.
And that only makes sense because the top 3 lines were, for significant lengths of time

- one of the top lines in the league
- the best line down the stretch
- the best line in the playin / playoffs

Can you imagine what it must be like, team slumping, and having no idea what is going to be on the lineup whiteboard day to day?
Old 02-28-2021, 12:16 AM   #29
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Simple call, IMO

Short season, you don’t eat a year of many great contracts to fart around and see what you might be able to blend up.

If you want to play Lindholm at C, tell Tre to get a right winger that can do the job as well as Lindholm

Win the battle and determine how to staff appropriately for the war

Until then, ice your best mix of 12
Sure I guess, probably is the right call considering the standings.

But puts us right back to the same old status quo if we make the playoffs.
We'll all be hating on Monahan and Gaudreau again for having the same playoff failures as this line doesn't work there when matches are harder, the game gets more physical and powerplays aren't as easy to come by.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:26 AM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We'll all be hating on Monahan and Gaudreau again for having the same playoff failures as this line doesn't work there when matches are harder, the game gets more physical and powerplays aren't as easy to come by.
TBF, I think both Monahan and Gaudreau have raised their physical game this year. Monahan is trying to use his body in the forecheck, and Gaudreau isn’t wasting time looking for calls. They are both a little less predictable, what with Johnny shooting and Monahan passing.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:42 AM   #31
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

No, it puts the Flames in the playoffs with people with more experience, and hopefully development

Ovechkin didn’t win for a long time until he won. Winning the Cup isn’t easy

You don’t scrap everything just because it doesn’t work once, you look at multiple factors and options and strategize appropriately
Old 02-28-2021, 12:49 AM   #32
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Yes. His name is Lindholm.
You spelled Gaudreau wrong
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:57 AM   #33
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You spelled Gaudreau wrong
You read RW wrong
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 08:11 AM   #34
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
You read RW wrong
Nope

Monahan-Lindholm-Gaudreau

Why? some observations over the years.

Monahan carry's the puck like it's a hot potato and his best passes are from his forehand, plus he's a great shooter. better suited to LW

Lindholm has shown not only can he carry the puck and make plays, he can neutralize other teams top centers with his smarts as well

Gaudreau has elite vision and skating, he also has a quick accurate shot, playing the off wing opens everything up for him, I know it was on bigger ice but Gaudreau was fantastic playing RW at the WC, (ask Justin Abdelkader who's the best right winger he ever played with, I would bet Johnnys name would come up)

There's a reason some of the leagues top wingers play their off side. Ovechkin, Kane, Panarin, Rantanen...the list goes on.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 08:44 AM   #35
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Nope

Monahan-Lindholm-Gaudreau

Why? some observations over the years.

Monahan carry's the puck like it's a hot potato and his best passes are from his forehand, plus he's a great shooter. better suited to LW

Lindholm has shown not only can he carry the puck and make plays, he can neutralize other teams top centers with his smarts as well

Gaudreau has elite vision and skating, he also has a quick accurate shot, playing the off wing opens everything up for him, I know it was on bigger ice but Gaudreau was fantastic playing RW at the WC, (ask Justin Abdelkader who's the best right winger he ever played with, I would bet Johnnys name would come up)

There's a reason some of the leagues top wingers play their off side. Ovechkin, Kane, Panarin, Rantanen...the list goes on.
The off wing shot is one thing. And in fact playing your strong wing makes a one timer to the short side more effective. But mainly, transition is much harder on the off wing.

Monahan is actually a good backhand passer.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #36
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopydrew19 View Post
On the radio pregame today I heard Loubo Talk about how Lindholm is our best Center but he is also our best right winner.

That got me to thinking why couldn’t Monahan be our best right winger?

He’s a left-handed shot. Snipers like Ovechkin play their off wing. I know even Johnny has played his off wing every time he has gone to the world championships with team USA.

You look in the past on team Canada rosters and it is made up of a Dozen Centers. Many of them move to the wing. So why have we never tried Monahan on the wing?

If center is supposed to be the most difficult Forward position And we have a very capable one in Elias then why aren’t we giving Monahan the easy lifting on the wing?
Why not try Kylington at right wing?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Why not try Kylington at right wing?
It’s a good idea, but now’s not the time, with them needing points and stability.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #38
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It’s a good idea, but now’s not the time, with them needing points and stability.
It’s a horrible idea , no matter what time of year or circumstance they are in.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
It’s a horrible idea , no matter what time of year or circumstance they are in.
Why? Lots of D have converted. Don’t know til you try.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #40
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

If management was so keen on putting Lindholm at C, then they should have acquired a top line RW. That's on Treliving, another fail IMO.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote