Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #4061
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
What I have a hard time with is the original Ghostbusters being forgotten. Those guys fought a skyscraper sized marshmellow man and piloted the Statue of Liberty through Times Square. Those aren't events that would just fade into obscurity
I expect better from my GCU!
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #4062
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ghostbusters is going to be a fun one. Can't wait.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:14 AM   #4063
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What I have a hard time with is the original Ghostbusters being forgotten. Those guys fought a skyscraper sized marshmellow man and piloted the Statue of Liberty through Times Square. Those aren't events that would just fade into obscurity
So you can suspend belief that ghosts, giant marshmallow men (mini marshmallows men), giant dogs, and possessed people are walking around but you can't get past people forgetting about stuff happening almost 40 years ago?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #4064
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
The older people (Paul Rudd) in the movie haven't forgotten. The other trailers showed this. It's the kids that don't remember them and that's not hard to believe. Many kids these days couldn't tell you about significant events from the 80s or 90s.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #4065
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
It was a running theme through the first two movies that the ghostbusters themselves never got any permanent recognition for their acts, hence why they were always broke. The politicians in that universe were always shown to be exceptionally greedy and constantly tried to throw the Ghostbusters under the bus. There also seemed to be a lot of willful blindness, where the population was repeatedly shocked by ghosts and disbelieved the supernatural, despite constant examples.

While people in the ghostbusters universe would probably remember the statue of liberty and the stay-puffed man, they might not remember the ghostbusters themselves.

Yes, it's all a bit unrealistic, but so is the basic premise.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:56 AM   #4066
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The politicians in that universe were always shown to be exceptionally greedy and constantly tried to throw the Ghostbusters under the bus. There also seemed to be a lot of willful blindness, where the population was repeatedly shocked by ghosts and disbelieved the supernatural, despite constant examples.
They caused an explosion!!!
Is this true?
Yes its true.... this man has no dick.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #4067
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
New trailer! This looks so fun.
I just finished watching the first season of Stranger Things so seeing Finn Wolfhard this grown up is jarring. He's 18 years old now! Kids grow up so freaking quickly...or I just get older too quickly.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 01:48 PM   #4068
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, that Afterlife trailer looks SO good! I'm pretty excited about it!
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #4069
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One of the stranger trailers I've seen in a while. I've enjoyed what A24 has put out, but not sure I'll catch this one:

psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #4070
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pig? Lamb? What's next? Cow?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #4071
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I just finished watching the first season of Stranger Things so seeing Finn Wolfhard this grown up is jarring. He's 18 years old now! Kids grow up so freaking quickly...or I just get older too quickly.
Heh, I had a similar reaction last night - watched The Goldfinch. He was dropping acid and snorting Vicodin, It took me a moment but I'm like "holy ####, Stranger Things!"
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:58 PM   #4072
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
One of the stranger trailers I've seen in a while. I've enjoyed what A24 has put out, but not sure I'll catch this one:

Oh hell yeah. This looks insane, legitimately.

But A24 puts out gold as far as I'm concerned so I'm fully on board.

The Green Knight has a 94% on RT I see, I can't wait to see that.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:41 PM   #4073
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 10:02 PM   #4074
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That looks like a feature length Tool video.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #4075
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it's dumb, like how in the new Star Wars movies everyone is like "Oh the Jedi, isn't that all a myth??" despite them being well known peacekeepers and running an entire branch of the galactic government like 50 years earlier.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:39 AM   #4076
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah it's dumb, like how in the new Star Wars movies everyone is like "Oh the Jedi, isn't that all a myth??" despite them being well known peacekeepers and running an entire branch of the galactic government like 50 years earlier.
It wasn't 50 years, it was more like 20. Like seriously, people forgot about an army of wizards with a temple in the capital in a time span that is shorter than most careers? Pre-prequels I liked to think the Jedi were more of a clandestine organization; a myth that operated in the shadows. That is why Han never heard of them. Maybe they were a bigger deal in ancient times, but not in recent memory. Then the prequels came out and you find out Han's copilot fought with the Jedi.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #4077
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

First, we live in a world where people deny COVID, the holocaust, landing on the moon, the earth being round. And not just fringe lunatic groups, a lot of people believe these things. So no, people thinking the Jedi were fake is not weird or far fetched.

Second, the universe is a big place. 99.999% of all inhabitants of the SW universe never saw a Jedi, and if they did, they most certainly did not see them use the force. And even those extremely small few who saw them use the force did not believe it was real. They thought they were just bureaucrats in lame robes who pretended they had magic powers.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 10:19 AM   #4078
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
First, we live in a world where people deny COVID, the holocaust, landing on the moon, the earth being round. And not just fringe lunatic groups, a lot of people believe these things. So no, people thinking the Jedi were fake is not weird or far fetched.

Second, the universe is a big place. 99.999% of all inhabitants of the SW universe never saw a Jedi, and if they did, they most certainly did not see them use the force. And even those extremely small few who saw them use the force did not believe it was real. They thought they were just bureaucrats in lame robes who pretended they had magic powers.
Whats really strange is that this 'Galaxy Far, far away' has never invented Wi-Fi.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:00 PM   #4079
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2021, 03:05 PM   #4080
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

All.Over.That.

Carnage was my #2 favorite behind Cable.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote