Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2021, 12:04 PM   #7741
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It seems odd to give out 3rd dosses so people can travel, rather than coming up with a diplomatic solution. It's an utter waste.
I think its a bit of a fairness issue. The government was pushing "get the first vaccine available." It doesn't seem like good public policy to me that the people who followed that advice don't get all the benefits (eg travel) of a vaccine.

Realistically a diplomatic solution with every other country probably isn't happening.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 03:19 PM   #7742
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I think its a bit of a fairness issue. The government was pushing "get the first vaccine available." It doesn't seem like good public policy to me that the people who followed that advice don't get all the benefits (eg travel) of a vaccine.

Realistically a diplomatic solution with every other country probably isn't happening.
Yeah, the idea of being restricted to where you can travel solely because you followed government advice that changes on a political whim isn't kosher.

I am AZ / Pfizer, my wife is Pfizer / Moderna

I can go to Germany, she cannot go to Germany. Several countries don't recognize mixed vaccines, while others don't recognize AZ as vaccinated if they came from India.

Canada bent the rules for political convenience, and people are now being restricted because of it. It will eventually need to be remedied.

It's a total mess caused by politics. I would definitely take a 3rd shot if available, if it means it avoids travel issues in the future.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:26 PM   #7743
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
I am AZ / Pfizer, my wife is Pfizer / Moderna

I can go to Germany, she cannot go to Germany.
But she can go on certain cruises and you can't. Separate vacations from now on, I guess!

I'm also AZ/Pfizer and I have no idea where my AZ came from. In My Health Records, it shows 2 AZ vaccines on the same date - one line the original AZ and one line the Indian version. Looking at the paper form I got at the pharmacy, it's not clear to me which one I got. It just has a line with AZ/Covishield checked off.

Fortunately I'm in no rush to travel anytime soon.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #7744
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

New (lack of) restrictions coming to Alberta in the next few weeks (14 tweet thread)...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420514183829884929

Basically, get busy vaccinating or get busy dying.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #7745
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless you are actually planning to travel right now... Why worry about the rules today. I can promise you it will get fixed. You aren't going to be permanently stuck in Canada because you mixed vaccines.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #7746
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
New (lack of) restrictions coming to Alberta in the next few weeks (14 tweet thread)...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420514183829884929

Basically, get busy vaccinating or get busy dying.
Which is sound strategy, except as it relates to the compromised.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:05 PM   #7747
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Unless you are actually planning to travel right now... Why worry about the rules today. I can promise you it will get fixed. You aren't going to be permanently stuck in Canada because you mixed vaccines.
If you are planning to travel it seems very reasonable to me that you be supplied an additional vaccine.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #7748
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's interesting that for the last few weeks, daily first shots have been hovering around 3,000 in Alberta (with Sundays dipping to about half that).

Second shot numbers are also down, but considering we're about 7 weeks since the last time there was a 10,000+ first shot day, the slow down is expected.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420864387867312129

Unfortunately, one thing that isn't slowing down is the increase in new cases. There are 1,520 active cases in Alberta, with 903 of those in Calgary.

Because hospitalizations tend to lag behind new infections by 1-2 weeks, there was also a small increase in hospitalizations. There are now 89 people in hospital with COVID -- 20 in ICU.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #7749
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those numbers are ridiculous. Especially 20-39. Get it together.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 06:56 PM   #7750
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this had been posted.

Israel government committee voted 59-1 (or something like that) to roll out third Pfizer booster to adults over 60 who had their second shots a few months ago.

Third shot targets Delta and other variants.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:42 PM   #7751
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Those numbers are ridiculous. Especially 20-39. Get it together.
In terms of protecting hospital system, it's the older demographic that needs to get their **** together. Based on Alberta's hospitalization rate per case, you'd need to vaccinate 15 of the 20-29 year olds to match the effect of vaccinating 1 of the 60-74 year olds.

Or to put it another way, increasing the 20-29 year old vaccination rate to 100% would have the same effect on hospital numbers as bumping up the 60+ group by about 1.5 percentage points.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:54 PM   #7752
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Not sure if this had been posted.

Israel government committee voted 59-1 (or something like that) to roll out third Pfizer booster to adults over 60 who had their second shots a few months ago.

Third shot targets Delta and other variants.
Just to be clear, the 3rd shot isn't targeting Delta per se, it's still the same shot as the first 2. It'll just raise antibodies well above the threshold for protection against Delta. Based on Pfizer's data, it produces a response that's about 10x higher in 65+ year olds compared to after the 2nd dose.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #7753
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Just to be clear, the 3rd shot isn't targeting Delta per se, it's still the same shot as the first 2. It'll just raise antibodies well above the threshold for protection against Delta. Based on Pfizer's data, it produces a response that's about 10x higher in 65+ year olds compared to after the 2nd dose.
Perfect, lets start injecting again.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post: