Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #3621
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If Disney continues their policy of putting new releases on Disney+ 3 months after the film is released in theatres, it's going to be tough to decide something is worth actually going to the theatre to watch.
It's only going to be 45 days they announced, starting with free guy or shang chi I remember reading

Paramount is the same in the us to paramount plus, which for us up here for now either means on demand after 45 days or amazon/netflix etc. pick it up, a quiet place part two on prime is that

Universal is 60 days to peacock in the states

Warner brothers is day and date for this year to hbo max and I believe 45 starting next year

So 45 seems to be the norm everywhere going forward
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:25 PM   #3622
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Black Widow. Meh. So much hamfisted, over the top nonsense and they basically did a "Deadpool in X Men Origins" thing with Taskmaster for some reason.

What they should have done is used some of that de-aging magic on ScarJo and Renner and had a flashback movie to basically the same high-level plot (take down the Red Room) but like... way before there were any Avengers. Then the whole thing might have worked. This did not work.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:59 PM   #3623
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The actor that was Taskmaster probably would have been a good choice for Black Widow when it was first cast, if Mila Johovich was unavailable. Really odd that she was given no lines, considering she was the only one that could deliver a credible accent. Tall and physical enough to be imposing.

The movie was actually pretty good, if you mentally edited out all of the action sequences.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:05 AM   #3624
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Olga Kurylenko? She's 5 years older than Scarjo, so I doubt there was much chance of her getting it when first cast. I'm guessing the character will probably show up on a Disney+ show or something.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #3625
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I read a bit about this when Falcon/Winter Solider was out. Ed Brubaker was upset about how little has was paid for the storylines/characters in Winter Solder/Civil War and the TV show. He was a work-for-hire writer so legally he isn't owed anything more but you could definitely see why it would still be annoying. He said about his cameo in Winter Solider "I have made more on SAG residuals than I have made on creating the character".

Of course the Siegel and Shuster story with Superman is well documented as well.

You'd hope Marvel and DC would pay their writers more and give them opportunities for residuals from other media to ensure they contribute quality work for future storylines.

Marvel and DC’s “Shut-Up Money”: Comic Creators Go Public Over Pay

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ay-1234983043/

Quote:
Comic creator Jim Starlin turned heads in 2017 when he publicly noted that Warner Bros. paid him more for a minor character that appeared in DC’s Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice than he received for Marvel’s major Guardians of the Galaxy characters Thanos, Gamora and Drax combined.
Quote:
Len Wein, the late Wolverine co-creator, said he received more money for creating Lucius Fox, the Batman character played by Morgan Freeman in Nolan’s films, than for creating the iconic X-Men hero portrayed by Hugh Jackman in nine movies.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #3626
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Looks like the neckbeards are spam reviewing the new Masters of the Universe show on Netflix. Critic reviews are 97% and fan reviews are 39%.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/ma...rse_revelation

I watched the first 5 episodes and think it's great. Lots for people looking for nostalgia and the character development is solid. IMDB says there's still 2 episodes to be released so it'll interesting to see how they wrap it up.

The original hasn't held up at all.

Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 01:04 AM   #3627
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I read you had watched the first five episodes, I thought you meant the first five episodes not ALL the five episodes.

Despite the really short season comma I thought it was great. Really nailed the character designs, vehicles, etc from a nostalgic point of view, but the characters themselves were far, far more fleshed out and expanded upon. It blew away the 2003ish version (which I liked at the time, but didn't age well)

Total throwback to my childhood. I grew up on He-Man, transformers, and thundercats
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #3628
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Starting it tonight, the neckbeards will never be pleased. But will still buy every single toy on the shelf so I can't get any for my 4 year old.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:41 PM   #3629
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I watched the new Masters of the Universe, and I didn't like it. This is the very spoiler-heavy review I wrote for elsewhere:

Spoiler!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:09 PM   #3630
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Starting it tonight, the neckbeards will never be pleased. But will still buy every single toy on the shelf so I can't get any for my 4 year old.
Too bad for them. I liked it and really like the design updates.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:22 AM   #3631
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
So, I watched the new Masters of the Universe, and I didn't like it. This is the very spoiler-heavy review I wrote for elsewhere:

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

The series is 10 episodes long and part 2 is done but I have no idea when it's being released. I'm sure it'll be soon with people being so upset about the cliffhanger.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #3632
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
The series is 10 episodes long and part 2 is done but I have no idea when it's being released. I'm sure it'll be soon with people being so upset about the cliffhanger.
Spoiler!

That might be part of it, too. I was hoping for a ten "25 minutes and done" basic 'good vs bad' Skeletor dumb plan romps. Some nostalgia. Instead, I'm apparently getting a 250min long movie about characters I've never been particularly interested in, and it didn't manage to pull me in with the first half I've seen.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #3633
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

First reviews are in for 2uicide Squad.....54 positive, 1 negative. Got to be a good sign lol
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #3634
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
First reviews are in for 2uicide Squad.....54 positive, 1 negative. Got to be a good sign lol
Well I'm sure you'll love it.

I jest a bit, I'm mildly optimistic because I think the frame of the movie suites Gunn well. But I continue to feel that DC needs to show they are capable of a tiny spec of quality before they get anymore money out of me. On this one waiting for Netflix.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #3635
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Started Masters of the Universe, and I'm having trouble getting into it. I'm finding the voice acting really bad. It also seems jerky? It's like there's small pauses between each actor.

It's not as bad as the new Transformers series, which I found unwatchable despite being a massive transformers fan.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #3636
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Started Masters of the Universe, and I'm having trouble getting into it. I'm finding the voice acting really bad. It also seems jerky? It's like there's small pauses between each actor.

It's not as bad as the new Transformers series, which I found unwatchable despite being a massive transformers fan.
Now you've gone and done it.

Now they're going to make a movie of He-Man fighting Optimus Prime, it'll be co-directed by Zach Snyder and Michael Bay.

And its all your fault.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:51 AM   #3637
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So apparently the upcoming What if... ? Marvel series is canon. It is taking place in the newly created multiverse. There is also going to be a season 2. Season 1 will have 9 episodes all averaging around half hour (each episode seems to take place in a different universe). Debuts August 11th.

One of the producers has hopes that some of these alternate universe story lines will spin off into live action series as well.. quoting that some of these alternate time lines became part of the main timeline in the comics:

Quote:
"All you have to do to prove that is look back at how many stories from the What If...? comics ended up in the main continuity of the comic universe," What If...? executive producer Brad Winderbaum told Inverse. "My prediction is a similar thing could happen on the cinematic side as well."
Either way, it has peaked my interest. I initially thought of it as just a series of shorts that was kind of neat but not necessary, similar to the 52 run that DC did a while back... but it being part of the canon and a sort of continuity in the Marvel universe story is actually very cool.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #3638
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So apparently the upcoming What if... ? Marvel series is canon. It is taking place in the newly created multiverse. There is also going to be a season 2. Season 1 will have 9 episodes all averaging around half hour (each episode seems to take place in a different universe). Debuts August 11th.

One of the producers has hopes that some of these alternate universe story lines will spin off into live action series as well.. quoting that some of these alternate time lines became part of the main timeline in the comics:

Either way, it has peaked my interest. I initially thought of it as just a series of shorts that was kind of neat but not necessary, similar to the 52 run that DC did a while back... but it being part of the canon and a sort of continuity in the Marvel universe story is actually very cool.
This would be the perfect opportunity to make Michael B Jordan the new Black Panther. IMDB has him voicing Killmonger for the first episode, my wild prediction is that he gets transported to the main timeline and takes the mantle in Black Panther 2
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #3639
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Well I'm sure you'll love it.

I jest a bit, I'm mildly optimistic because I think the frame of the movie suites Gunn well. But I continue to feel that DC needs to show they are capable of a tiny spec of quality before they get anymore money out of me. On this one waiting for Netflix.
What DC needs to focus on is movies set outside of the DCEU universe like Joker and Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Leave the huge arching universal story lines to Marvel and do your own thing and do it right.
Since1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #3640
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This would be the perfect opportunity to make Michael B Jordan the new Black Panther. IMDB has him voicing Killmonger for the first episode, my wild prediction is that he gets transported to the main timeline and takes the mantle in Black Panther 2
I was thinking about this the other day... my proposed transition for Killmonger... I don't normal dabble into fan fiction, but this one I think makes some sense..

He never actually died, they put him in stasis while they figured out his fix and then were able to bring him out and back to life.

A massive threat faces Wakanda, potentially wiping out their culture and they are desperate, so they thaw Killmonger out as he still possesses the powers of the Black Panther due to ingesting the plant.

He's still upset, he's pissed off that Wakanda "betrayed" him and doesn't see his vision. He says that as long as T'Challa is king, he will never be able to exist in the kingdom of Wakanda due to their conflicting visions.

He ends it by telling them to just let him die.

Then they explain to him that T'Challa is dead, however he did die.. and that he had actually named him as his heir to the throne, knowing that there is good in him. Erik is now reeling, questioning his own vision and rocked by the news of his cousins death and the trust he placed in him. At this point he still denies the mantle and states he won't ever fight for this Wakanda.. but it's clear that he is actually torn. So he sits in a prison cell as they turn to face the threat.

The movie culminates with this massive threat on the verge of wiping Wakanda out, maybe over top of the family of T'Challa, mocking them, then bam music blares and Erik jumps out in full Black Panther costume and saves the day.

Embracing the mantle of Black Panther as his cousin and equal envisioned it.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 08-04-2021 at 10:14 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote