Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2023, 06:43 PM   #1041
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a player with a more punchable face than Richarlison?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:03 PM   #1042
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Spurs supporters seem to think they're a huge club but I'm almost forty and the only thing of note they've won in my lifetime is the FA Cup in 1991.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:33 PM   #1043
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Jesse Lingard has to be near the top of the list. Surely more punchable than Richarlison. Harvey Elliott is there and Gabriel Jesus for sure. Honestly, it’s a long list!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:17 PM   #1044
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh yeah! Jesus certainly and Phil Foden just for starters.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:31 PM   #1045
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're talking punchable faces and no mention of Antony yet??
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:34 PM   #1046
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
We're talking punchable faces and no mention of Antony yet??
Antony is the living embodiment of the scene in Ace Ventura where he makes his Butt talk.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:05 PM   #1047
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
At what stage do the fans try and get rid of Levy?
There were too many I saw that used the argument at least it wont be levy when the saudi rumors came up last week

Pressure will go up on him but I don't expect a sale anytime soon

They need to either fire conte or spend about 100m on a ccb and rwb in the next two weeks

Conte hasnt improved a single player since he came, which is fine if he gets results, but they've gone so cheap on the backline outside of romero that results are impossible unless the front 3 are just unplayable

Cant do half measures
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 01:11 PM   #1048
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they don't, but Spurs need to fire Conte.
Their best weapons are their offensive players and they play a system that can't get them the ball.
It's actually mind bottling.

I do enjoy watching Kane have to track back to his own goal line to grab a ball or Loris hoofing it to him and hoping he does something magical though. What a great way to utilize Harry Kane.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 01:13 PM   #1049
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jordan Pickford?
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 01:17 PM   #1050
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's the frustration with Spurs. That squad on paper is decent and Conte has them playing terribly. Son is a shell of his former self, Lloris is probably done and he has those two along with a 2 vs. 4 setup against an in-form Arsenal at home. It's basically saying "I don't care, and if you sack me, you have to pay me."

A lot of fans would love ENIC and Levy to be out. But there are a lot of issues. I think there are plenty of young players there who are handcuffed at this point. Either not playing (Spence) or playing and just terrified to make a mistake (Bissouma). That's on Conte. The fact that we have a manager who insists on a negative style despite not having the personnel? That's on Paratici. Then we have a desperate need for better wingers, and while others are fighting to sign 100m players we're not sure if we want to spend 40m on Pedro Porro. That's Levy and ENIC.

tldr; there's a lot of blame to go around at Spurs.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:24 PM   #1051
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I do enjoy watching Kane have to track back to his own goal line to grab a ball or Loris hoofing it to him and hoping he does something magical though. What a great way to utilize Harry Kane.
I'm sure he counts his lucky stars every night that he signed that 6 year deal back then. One of the dumbest contract decisions by a top-class footballer in a very long time ... I think he finally gets his out this summer, but at 30, he'll probably always go "what if?" after spending all of his 20s with Spurs.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:37 PM   #1052
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well that's the frustration with Spurs. That squad on paper is decent and Conte has them playing terribly. Son is a shell of his former self, Lloris is probably done and he has those two along with a 2 vs. 4 setup against an in-form Arsenal at home. It's basically saying "I don't care, and if you sack me, you have to pay me."

A lot of fans would love ENIC and Levy to be out. But there are a lot of issues. I think there are plenty of young players there who are handcuffed at this point. Either not playing (Spence) or playing and just terrified to make a mistake (Bissouma). That's on Conte. The fact that we have a manager who insists on a negative style despite not having the personnel? That's on Paratici. Then we have a desperate need for better wingers, and while others are fighting to sign 100m players we're not sure if we want to spend 40m on Pedro Porro. That's Levy and ENIC.

tldr; there's a lot of blame to go around at Spurs.
Yeah I've been a fan of Conte in past stops but was always a bit worried with him at Spurs.

He questioned Chelsea's ambition and they have always been pretty willing to spend, Spurs...not so much.

Behind the scenes my gut is that might be getting a bit toxic in terms of the purchases he wants, what Paratici wants, and what the board is willing to spend.

Conte actually reminds me a bit of Sutter in that way - can be a good manager but really needs to have the squad built to the way he wants to play. Not the type to adjust his tactics to what is at his disposal. And when you have a squad that doesn't match his tactics, you get performances like yesterday.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 02:04 PM   #1053
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh yeah! Jesus certainly and Phil Foden just for starters.
Is it's Foden's face that's punchable, or that goddamn haircut? How does a multimillionaire have a haircut that looks worse than something from SuperCuts?
Old 01-16-2023, 02:27 PM   #1054
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I'm sure he counts his lucky stars every night that he signed that 6 year deal back then. One of the dumbest contract decisions by a top-class footballer in a very long time ... I think he finally gets his out this summer, but at 30, he'll probably always go "what if?" after spending all of his 20s with Spurs.
He's got to be gone this summer and maybe to United?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah I've been a fan of Conte in past stops but was always a bit worried with him at Spurs.

He questioned Chelsea's ambition and they have always been pretty willing to spend, Spurs...not so much.

Behind the scenes my gut is that might be getting a bit toxic in terms of the purchases he wants, what Paratici wants, and what the board is willing to spend.

Conte actually reminds me a bit of Sutter in that way - can be a good manager but really needs to have the squad built to the way he wants to play. Not the type to adjust his tactics to what is at his disposal. And when you have a squad that doesn't match his tactics, you get performances like yesterday.
The Flames/Spurs comparisons are just so close. So many similarities and it would be nice if one of them could get organized and actually make some progress. I feel like when we got Conte that we were going to bigger and better things (same as when we brought in Sutter for this round!). Alas...Conte seems to have worn out his welcome (same as we saw with Mourinho), and again without any silverware. I mean sure...we could theoretically win the CL or the FA Cup this year, because we're still in those competitions. But logically, it's not happening. I'm pretty sure that if we got anywhere near a final in those competitions that Levy would fire Conte that week and Ryan Mason would be thrown in as caretaker, because there's probably a bonus in Conte's contract.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:33 PM   #1055
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
He's got to be gone this summer and maybe to United?
I don't know. I'm sure Spurs would prefer to sell him to a non-PL club ... I feel he'd be an outstanding fit at Bayern for example.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:39 PM   #1056
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I don't know. I'm sure Spurs would prefer to sell him to a non-PL club ... I feel he'd be an outstanding fit at Bayern for example.
While that would be preferable, I don't know if he'd go abroad. I think he must want the PL goals record, and he's not washed up or anything. If he was in a system that was reasonable, he could still be a great addition for a team.
Old 01-16-2023, 03:24 PM   #1057
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mueller. Andy Robertson.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:35 PM   #1058
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Mueller. Andy Robertson.
Mueller, I'm indifferent about - and I was suggesting within the EPL. Robertson for sure. Dude's a smug c**t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Jordan Pickford?
Actually, I think it's more likely his own teammate punches him.

Richarlison tho. Gets his own face, Neymars and Ronaldo Nesario's faces tattooed on his back. And not to be outdone, Neymar -the modest-, pays him to remove it.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...moved-28749435

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:03 AM   #1059
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently United offered Garnacho a new contract at £20k a week. For context, Brandon Williams makes 50.

If that offer doesn’t radically increase, they deserve to lose him.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...63286.html?amp
Old 01-17-2023, 12:23 PM   #1060
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1615416160018653184

fingers crossed ...