Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #161
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
You mean the top line didn’t get it done
You know...the guys on the ice
Then make a trade if it is not on the coaches.

I would look at something like

2019 1st and 2020 2nd (and maybe a prospect) for Evander Kane. Gets you some scoring help for the top line and does not cost you anything. If it goes south, you could always recoup the picks at the deadline (Stajan, Brouwer, Lazar etc.)
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #162
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
At least the Flames got a point out of this. Getting 3/4 points on the road in SJ and ANA is a huge win in my books. Just get those next two points please.
I don’t know why but I have a really bad feeling about tomorrow. Anaheim will be out for blood after that streak came to an end, not to mention how close the two teams are in the standings.

I hope I’m wrong.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #163
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post

2019 1st and 2020 2nd (and maybe a prospect) for Evander Kane. Gets you some scoring help for the top line and does not cost you anything. If it goes south, you could always recoup the picks at the deadline (Stajan, Brouwer, Lazar etc.)
You can't make that kind of trade right now. It could set this team back 5-6 years if this all blows up.

Some of the simplest moves this team could make are waiving the entire awful 4th line and bringing up actual energy from Stockton.

The Flames have yet to ice their best roster this season from the pieces available in the organization.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #164
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would be perfectly fine with this game if the Flames were a good home team. That's the main problem with Calgary they are very passive at home.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #165
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Playing a good game or not, it doesn't matter in the standings. The only thing that does is results. Loser points, especially against divisional rivals, is not good enough with the position this team put themselves in.

All that matters is results. If they win, good. If they don't - including losing points - not good. OTLs would be tolerable if this team hasn't pooched the first third of the season so royally.

Team needs results. Teams needs win. Playing good, but not winning is not gonna get them into the playoffs.

First line needs to be productive again. Team needs goals and they aren't producing them.
For the most part I agree, but we were not getting these loser points last year and the could prove to be valuable. While I don't think GG is the leader to take us to the next level, I am also seeing some major chinks in the armour. I will not write the Flames off especially until we see all lines clicking at the same time.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #166
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post

40 games out of evander for a first and second? No thank you

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2017, 11:58 PM   #167
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

result sucks but that was an awesome game. no complaints
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:59 PM   #168
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I would be perfectly fine with this game if the Flames were a good home team. That's the main problem with Calgary they are very passive at home.
Completely agree with this. They are flat more often than not at home and it’s killing their season.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:59 PM   #169
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

The usual overreaction.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:00 AM   #170
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that the Flames D very, very rarely engages in the offensive zone, but I bet you could count on one hand the number of odd man rushes they've allowed at 5v5 over the last ten games. You watch most other trams play and there's 5 or 6 odd man rushes in a period.

The whole philosophy seems to be to prevent the odd man rush, and it is working, but I don't know if it's actually leading to success. I bet someone in the Flames org did some math, found that 37.3836% of goals against are on odd man rushes or whatever, and so they've changed the aplroach in such a way as to minimize what can be a very dangerous type of chance to allow.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:02 AM   #171
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This SO loss is accountable solely to the 1st line. They are frozen at this moment. They do not produce on PP, they can't score in 5v5, they cant finish grade A chances in OT, don't score on shootout. Was Ferland even playing? 1 shot on goal is just unacceptable if he is supposed to be the finisher.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:04 AM   #172
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Shootouts are a coin flip at the best of times, but how do you not let tkachuk shoot? Your best shootout option sits on the bench while you lose the game.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #173
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Sharks really pushed in the final 40. PP and goaltending earned #Flames a point tonight. 5v5 possession 45.7%, SJ had 16-11 edge in high danger chances.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game...018&game=20575
You should probably quote and credit Steinberg, that was his tweet.

Bottom line for me is this. The team looks to be good enough roster wise, playing well in long stretches and consistently. Good defence, good goaltending. Forwards aren’t the most confident bunch game to game and within a game and that’s where the breakdowns are, and the lack of confidence comes from that drags the team down. When they look bad they look horrible.

GG is ok, nice guy, has a game plan, has them organized et. But GG also isn’t getting it done, results wise and behind that, his team doesn’t have that killer instinct and he doesn’t seem to be capable of really pushing his players for something extra.

I can’t believe Treliving wants this roster, which is good, to just tread water, when with the right kick in the pants from a coach who knows how and is experienced in pushing the motivational buttons of players to get that bit extra out of them, can get them 4 out of 4 points in these last two Sharks games, for example, instead of just 1. It’s a fine line, but makes all the difference.

Never mind not ever having beat the Oilers in his time here.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #174
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
Shootouts are a coin flip at the best of times, but how do you not let tkachuk shoot? Your best shootout option sits on the bench while you lose the game.
He was to be third.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:10 AM   #175
TenaciousC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I’m a Flames superfan but I think i’ll be taking a little break here for a while. The Flames are unwatchable in their system right now. Sloppy sloppy hockey and abysmal PP. The only entertaining thing about that game was OT
TenaciousC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #176
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Better game. Outcome sucked but I thought they were closer to playing better hockey than I have seen in awhile. They were much better at taking time and space away and Brodie even made a stop or two at the defensive blueline which he hasn't done all year. They sat back in the third which always suck but I thought they were the better team tonight. An unlucky deflection was the game tonight.

I have to say I really like what the AHL players have done. I really like the way Jankowski and Kulak play. The top end skill may not be there but I like what they do out there. Kulak, Jankowski, Hathaway, Rittch have all been a breathe of fresh air for this team. Bolds well for current AHL players.

All said and done though we need wins. This team, current put together and coached is not enough. What changes???
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #177
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great post Browna, I agree with everything. Very well said.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #178
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Another lose due to a pathetic power play. PH@#K Off power play coach!!!
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:14 AM   #179
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
He was to be third.
Third or tenth. What's the difference if it's over?
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:15 AM   #180
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I know that the Flames D very, very rarely engages in the offensive zone, but I bet you could count on one hand the number of odd man rushes they've allowed at 5v5 over the last ten games. You watch most other trams play and there's 5 or 6 odd man rushes in a period.

The whole philosophy seems to be to prevent the odd man rush, and it is working, but I don't know if it's actually leading to success. I bet someone in the Flames org did some math, found that 37.3836% of goals against are on odd man rushes or whatever, and so they've changed the aplroach in such a way as to minimize what can be a very dangerous type of chance to allow.
It's a plan that expects you to have the best forward core in the league (or top ~3) so they can score 3 on 5. Team Canada can execute this plan with Crosby, Bergeron, Thornton, Tavares, Stamkos, Benn, Marchand, etc. We do not have a top forward core in the league. Most nights we are facing teams with a better forward core. Our biggest strength is that guys like Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton, and Stone have some offensive skill. Even the Oilers, with McDavid and Draisaitl, would admit that they have to get guys like Klefbom and Sekera involved offensively.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote