Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2017, 12:16 AM   #181
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan and Gaudreau not clicking at all, and team not quite good enough to make up for it.

The strategy was to build and win from the back end out, but this D corps hasn't been winning us enough games.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:19 AM   #182
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
The usual overreaction.
Ya wanna know when you'll really see an overreaction? When Garth Snow walks up to the podium and uses our pick to select Brady Tkachuk. That'll be one helluva reaction I tell ya.

Last edited by Racki; 12-29-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Racki For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 12:20 AM   #183
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Such a minor thing to pick on the coach about. Backlund had a great game and almost scored there. Had he scored it would’ve looked like a genius pick. And Gaudreau hasn’t had a SO goal in awhile.
He had one our last SO against the wild on December 12th.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:21 AM   #184
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I know that the Flames D very, very rarely engages in the offensive zone, but I bet you could count on one hand the number of odd man rushes they've allowed at 5v5 over the last ten games. You watch most other trams play and there's 5 or 6 odd man rushes in a period.

The whole philosophy seems to be to prevent the odd man rush, and it is working, but I don't know if it's actually leading to success. I bet someone in the Flames org did some math, found that 37.3836% of goals against are on odd man rushes or whatever, and so they've changed the aplroach in such a way as to minimize what can be a very dangerous type of chance to allow.
This brings up a very interesting question: what style brings success, chance for chance up tempo 4-3 games or defensive 2-1?

Gulutzan clearly prefers the 2-1 type games and it seems Treliving does too (conventional wisdom, playoff hockey).

I'm a fan of attacking hockey, I think in today's game that is what wins long term but what do I know.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:21 AM   #185
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
40 games out of evander for a first and second? No thank you
BT could move Kane ala Vanek in 2014 if it does not work out, recoup the 2nd at the deadline and only be out another 1st. You can always recoup picks, I read that somewhere.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #186
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
Third or tenth. What's the difference if it's over?
Exactly. If he was first or second, we still lost if he’s the only scorer.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:26 AM   #187
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
Ya wanna know hen you'll really see an overreaction? When Garth Snow walks up to the podium and uses our pick to select Brady Tkachuk. That'll be one helluva reaction I tell ya.
What a mess that would be. And we pick 28th after the 1st round pick we recouped from Garth by trading Backlund to him at the deadline, in a move by Garth that Sam Pollack would be proud of.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:33 AM   #188
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This brings up a very interesting question: what style brings success, chance for chance up tempo 4-3 games or defensive 2-1?

Gulutzan clearly prefers the 2-1 type games and it seems Treliving does too (conventional wisdom, playoff hockey).

I'm a fan of attacking hockey, I think in today's game that is what wins long term but what do I know.
False dichotomy. The answer is in the middle, and they have to mould their style to the team's strengths, not a one-size-fits-all answer. If you play a cohesive style you should be winning 3-1 and 4-2.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 12-29-2017 at 12:35 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 AM   #189
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
The usual overreaction.
The reason it's so usual is because the Flames keep losing. 6 losses in their last 10, 12 losses in their last 20.

There are (generally) 2 camps: one that says this is rotten, so fire the coach, another that says the underlying fundamentals are strong, so stay the course. For some time now, Team Rotten has been racking up a lot more tangible evidence on its side, as the losses pile up and the Flames slide down the league standings.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #190
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
BT could move Kane ala Vanek in 2014 if it does not work out, recoup the 2nd at the deadline and only be out another 1st. You can always recoup picks, I read that somewhere.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:51 AM   #191
minnow
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone heard anything on Frolik?
Old 12-29-2017, 12:54 AM   #192
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Anyone heard anything on Frolik?
No update till tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:55 AM   #193
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

WTF is with people ragging on Monahan? Not a first line centre? I don't have a stats sheet in front of me, but isn't he still top 10 in goals, and has had 3 20+ seasons, and isn't he also point leader of his draft?
That line may have dried up recently, but many of the best go through cold spells.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 12:57 AM   #194
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_starter View Post
No update till tomorrow.
Which means “we aren’t sure until the swelling goes down if he’s broken his cheek or jaw, or, if he’s got nasal damage more than just a broken nose”

Probably a good bet he doesn’t play tomorrow even if everything is somehow fine.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:41 AM   #195
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
Ya wanna know when you'll really see an overreaction? When Garth Snow walks up to the podium and uses our pick to select Brady Tkachuk. That'll be one helluva reaction I tell ya.
And this sums up what’s going on and why there’s such negativity. Nothing but frustration night after night as we watch Richie Cunningham get outcoached again and again, resulting in games that are painful to watch or “we outplayed them but didn’t win”. That will look great from outside the playoffs...” look at all those teams we outplayed” as someone else drafts a good player in the Flames place.

He’s not a good NHL coach - his systems are either not believed in by the players, or laughably easy to counter by other, real NHL coaches, he misuses players, and appears to be a terrible motivator. This is a good lineup coached into being.....meh.

He is what he is, and his resume should have been all Treliving needed to see before hiring him.
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tailgator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 02:19 AM   #196
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

People STILL defending Eakins 2.0?

Wow...

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:49 AM   #197
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lets try to find some positives...

1. Rittich has not allowed more than 2 goals per game and helped to get 7/8 points in his starts.

2. Janko and Hats already taking over some pivotal roles in the lineup + they lift Benny's game up to expected standards.

3. Even without Janko, Haths, Kulak and Rittich, Stockton is 0.643, so there seems to be a lot of depth in this organisation

That being said, some of current roster players are turning into expendable liability and it should be addressed, sooner the better...
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:32 AM   #198
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
People STILL defending Eakins 2.0?

Wow...

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
Yup, keep coaching then. Blow it up again. That's how we got here last time.

Then do it again. Blame top players, fire coaches who win playoff games and keep the ones who don't. Sound logic. This is why the Flames are so far ahead of the curve. Gotta have stability in coaching and management for the sake of it.

I hate how the Flames do this to themselves. Gulutzan is mediocre to the bone and everyone knows it.

Can't win a playoff game and can't beat the Oilers. It's really weak to keep defending this brand of hockey.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 04:51 AM   #199
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Better game. Outcome sucked but I thought they were closer to playing better hockey than I have seen in awhile. They were much better at taking time and space away and Brodie even made a stop or two at the defensive blueline which he hasn't done all year. They sat back in the third which always suck but I thought they were the better team tonight. An unlucky deflection was the game tonight.

I have to say I really like what the AHL players have done. I really like the way Jankowski and Kulak play. The top end skill may not be there but I like what they do out there. Kulak, Jankowski, Hathaway, Rittch have all been a breathe of fresh air for this team. Bolds well for current AHL players.

All said and done though we need wins. This team, current put together and coached is not enough. What changes???
The 4th line.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 AM   #200
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
WTF is with people ragging on Monahan? Not a first line centre? I don't have a stats sheet in front of me, but isn't he still top 10 in goals, and has had 3 20+ seasons, and isn't he also point leader of his draft?
That line may have dried up recently, but many of the best go through cold spells.
Thats fine and dandy, but for a "#1 Centre" he needs to do more than be able to puck the put in the net, like perhaps create his own offence for once. I love Monahan don't get me wrong, but if he's not scoring goals the guy is invisible. Unless he improves on the other aspects of his game (physicality, speed, playmaking) I have zero confidence in him leading us to to deep playoff run let alone a cup.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post: