Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2021, 07:26 AM   #1621
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like we might be entering the Bear a few weeks early; massive Chinese sell off with many mining firm closures over the weekend.

Should be a few decent short-sell opportunities if you have any liquidity (already was one between 5:15 and 6:15 AM today) but IMO I see this as a harbinger for 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #1622
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What does gold mining have to do with transactions? You know gold has other uses, right?
Beyond that, how can Bitcoin replace traditional transactions when it would require 10x the power consumption of the US to do it?

Welcome to technology!

How can a car replace a horse? it only goes 3 mph, breaks down constantly and need this expensive gasoline to run. It will never catch on.

How can a computer replace an adding machine? It has to be programmed each time with hundreds of punch cards, is the size of an entire building floor and uses too much electricity. It will never catch on.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #1623
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Welcome to technology!

How can a car replace a horse? it only goes 3 mph, breaks down constantly and need this expensive gasoline to run. It will never catch on.

How can a computer replace an adding machine? It has to be programmed each time with hundreds of punch cards, is the size of an entire building floor and uses too much electricity. It will never catch on.
I'm not sure what hilarious point you are trying to make. Bitcoin has fundamental limitations in its current form that exclude it from being a payment processor like the banks/credit cards do. Are you aware that that limit is about 4.6 transactions per second? Visa alone is capable of handling 24 000 transactions per second:

https://towardsdatascience.com/the-b...ed-5cce48f9d44

https://usa.visa.com/run-your-busine...ls/retail.html

What is actually being proposed is that Bitcoin is the horse and buggy, attempting to replace a Ferrari. Thanks for the analogy, it works!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #1624
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Welcome to technology!

This argument would be more useful to compare with ETH. BTC is useless as anything but a gold hedge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #1625
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
This argument would be more useful to compare with ETH. BTC is useless as anything but a gold hedge.
Yes, ETH 1 can handle 30 TPS, ETH 2 can handle 100k, which would beat Visa and give it the potential to play that roll.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:26 AM   #1626
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

The first automobiles were also useless. Bitcoin is the Benz Patent Motor Car in the analogy. Dooming the entire cryptocurrency industry because of Bitcoin is exactly the same as what people said about the automobile.

ETH is significantly better than BTC. ADA is significantly better than ETH. and new cryptos will arrive that continue to improve. Every new technology has had detractors comparing it to the fully fleshed out previous iteration of technology and dooming it. Sometimes the problems prove too difficult and the technology doesn't pan out, but it always leads to the next innovation.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #1627
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always said that Bitcoin has fundamental problems, not that the blockchain or other crypto's are all doomed(though many are). But any time I mention problems with Bitcoin, I see responses like yours.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #1628
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Welcome to technology!

of course this analogy only works if Bitcoin or any other crypto has some fundmental potential advantage over regular electronic money, which it doesnt seem to have, it isnt secure or untrackable, it requires exactly the same infrastructure, its just another form of currency in its use, its really no different from dollars
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #1629
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The first automobiles were also useless. Bitcoin is the Benz Patent Motor Car in the analogy. Dooming the entire cryptocurrency industry because of Bitcoin is exactly the same as what people said about the automobile.

ETH is significantly better than BTC. ADA is significantly better than ETH. and new cryptos will arrive that continue to improve. Every new technology has had detractors comparing it to the fully fleshed out previous iteration of technology and dooming it. Sometimes the problems prove too difficult and the technology doesn't pan out, but it always leads to the next innovation.
So now that we have all of these better versions up and running how to we shut down and eliminate the still operating and inefficient proof of concept?

It's not like a car that was scrapped and then manufacturing shifted to the next model.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #1630
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
So now that we have all of these better versions up and running how to we shut down and eliminate the still operating and inefficient proof of concept?

It's not like a car that was scrapped and then manufacturing shifted to the next model.
Bitcoin is the EV1. All the true believers think it is the greatest thing ever, and GM could have rode it to Tesla's success. They'll scream from the rooftops about it how GM killed the electric car, how it's revolution was cut short. When in reality it was a product of its time, laying the groundwork, but never able to function like today's EV's due to technological limitations that have since been overcome.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #1631
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Bitcoin is the EV1. All the true believers think it is the greatest thing ever, and GM could have rode it to Tesla's success. They'll scream from the rooftops about it how GM killed the electric car, how it's revolution was cut short. When in reality it was a product of its time, laying the groundwork, but never able to function like today's EV's due to technological limitations that have since been overcome.
Except for EV1s made it global, and are still driving around mostly empty wasting energy.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #1632
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
of course this analogy only works if Bitcoin or any other crypto has some fundmental potential advantage over regular electronic money, which it doesnt seem to have, it isnt secure or untrackable, it requires exactly the same infrastructure, its just another form of currency in its use, its really no different from dollars

you fundamentally don't understand cryptocurrency.

simply having a cap on how much is available puts it in a completely different realm than fiat currency.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #1633
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

simply having a cap on how much is available puts it in a completely different realm than fiat currency.
That doesn't make sense. Eth does not have a cap. And Bitcoin as it currently stands is more a store-of-value than a currency.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #1634
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
That doesn't make sense. Eth does not have a cap. And Bitcoin as it currently stands is more a store-of-value than a currency.

ETH doesn't currently have a hard cap, it has a cap on how much can be created per block (which declines over time).

Also EIP 1559 and ETH 2.0 are set to alter this substantially.

Most non-meme coins have a fixed supply and/or a set progression for new coins to be minted.

I am starting to remember why I keep leaving this thread. It seems to just be a dumping ground for drive-by comments made by people with a very low level of knowledge about cryptocurrency. *not directed at you Izzle *
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 02:11 PM   #1635
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
ETH doesn't currently have a hard cap, it has a cap on how much can be created per block (which declines over time).

Most non-meme coins have a fixed supply and/or a set progression for new coins to be minted.

I am starting to remember why I keep leaving this thread. It seems to just be a dumping ground for drive-by comments made by people with a very low level of knowledge about cryptocurrency. *not directed at you Izzle *
Thing is, I do want to understand. For the most part I rely on forums such as CP to read up on it. I could read the white paper but I'm not smart enough to understand. The other guides on the internet that dumb it down read as fan boys pumping Bitcoin tires.

From what I read about ETH, it makes sense to me. Much more so than Bitcoin. I would be comfortable putting a few dollars into ETHX.B to gain exposure to ETH. But I wouldn't for Bitcoin. Bitcoin is too energy intensive to be a daily currency and it's too volatile to be a store of value.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:19 PM   #1636
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thats just a Gold Standard, which is what we had back in the day when no one less than a millionaire could get a mortgage, there is nothing fundamentally different about having a capped currency in fact it is a return to the 19th century and has all the same issues, no growth.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:27 PM   #1637
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There may be a fixed supply of whole numbers with many cryptocurrencies but as long as divisibility isn't restricted the supply isn't either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 08:42 PM   #1638
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't either, which is why don't own any.

Hard to call something an investment when it doesn't match up with any traditional form of valuation.

Is it a currency? Is it a store of value? Is it a technology? Or is it a banking system?

Crypto needs to make up its mind.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #1639
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Thats just a Gold Standard, which is what we had back in the day when no one less than a millionaire could get a mortgage, there is nothing fundamentally different about having a capped currency in fact it is a return to the 19th century and has all the same issues, no growth.
What’s interesting is that if Gold is actually a store of value then we still operate on the gold standard over long periods of time and the existence of Bitcoin doesn’t change this. As money is printed the value of gold in terms of those dollars rise.

Ergo we aren’t constrained on a day to day basis but the gold standard but the fundamentals of inflation relative to a store of value don’t change. Or Gold isn’t a real store of value given the current levels of asset inflation occurring.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:50 PM   #1640
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I don't either, which is why don't own any.

Hard to call something an investment when it doesn't match up with any traditional form of valuation.

Is it a currency? Is it a store of value? Is it a technology? Or is it a banking system?

Crypto needs to make up its mind.
Different Cryptos can fulfill different niches. It’s also an NBA card collection loot box system.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum