Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #3361
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Can one of you who seems to be able to come up with some explanation for anything explain the logic behind Cersei's actions...
  1. She seems genuinely shaken by the undead soldier and offers to accept the truce if Jon swears loyalty to her (I think?) and agrees to never leave the North;
  2. When Jon refuses, she says No Deal to the whole thing, and storms out of the conference;
  3. Tyrion says. . . . Something . . . . to her and she comes back not only ready to accept the truce, but pledges Lannister troops to fight with the North. . . . Except;
  4. She then says, Nope, I'm keeping my troops here to consolidate my hold on the South as soon as the Golden Company arrives.
I genuinely can't see a logical thread, but rather than just bashing the writing, I'll give the collective shadow writers here a chance to make sense of it.

And if you can do that, we can move on to the entire Sansa & Arya plotline, which has me similarly baffled.
In all those cases she was lying. She simply wanted to divide and conquer. Jon swearing once the walkers were dealt with he'd stay there keeps the north men from the fight with Dany. They then deal with them aften the mercs have done away with the Dothraki and Unsullied.

Sansa and Arya is just sweet bloody vengeance.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #3362
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As one incest relationship ends, another begins. Because if this show needs one thing to hold it together, it's incest.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #3363
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Utterly brilliant in every sense of the word. From start to finish that was just one hell of an episode. Couldn't believe it was almost an hour twenty by the time the credits rolled, felt like 30.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #3364
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Also, Bran if it is really important for Jon to know who he really is, send him a raven with the info. He might do something like sleep with his own aunt
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #3365
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 11:09 PM   #3366
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

(2 minutes in)
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 12:52 AM   #3367
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Even though he pushes children from windows, Jaime stole our hearts along the way, and we were all gripping our seats when the Mountain drew that sword (when the #### is he actually to cut some people down though? We've been waiting an eternity for him to do something other than stand in the background). Didn't know what to believe at various points but I knew for certain that Cersei didn't become an honest person that cared for the survival of humanity overnight.

Thank god Theon is back. Reek was sad to watch.

Night King riding a dragon was very creepy. Now that we know there can be other riders, you just know Jon will be the third, on his winged steed named fittingly after his dad.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-28-2017 at 12:56 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:00 AM   #3368
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Aegon Targaryen.
So that means Rhaegar Targaryen had two sons, both named Aegon? The first one was still alive when the 2nd one (jon snow) was born IIRC.

Though I supposed once he annulled his marriage the first two children with Ellia Martell would be bastards with the surname Sand technically. (?) Oh those Targaryen's, they don't make things easy.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:14 AM   #3369
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Difficult to look at Cersei logically when she's completely insane.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 01:21 AM   #3370
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
So that means Rhaegar Targaryen had two sons, both named Aegon? The first one was still alive when the 2nd one (jon snow) was born IIRC.

Though I supposed once he annulled his marriage the first two children with Ellia Martell would be bastards with the surname Sand technically. (?) Oh those Targaryen's, they don't make things easy.
I'm pretty sure Jon Snow is Egon Targaryen. Named after the guy from ghostbusters.

and a big FU to Steve! That should have been the best 95 mins of TV history spoiled by knowing that Arya kills littlefinger.

Not only was this the best episode of the year,
Spoiler!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:44 AM   #3371
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I don't think they'd kill him off so unceremoniously. I'm guessing he somehow survived and will be the one to make it back to Winterfell to warn them that the Wall has fallen.
I thought that the scouting services were provided by Bran.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:05 AM   #3372
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oooh... Elephants!!
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stud_McCool For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 05:29 AM   #3373
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can one of you who seems to be able to come up with some explanation for anything explain the logic behind Cersei's actions...
  1. She seems genuinely shaken by the undead soldier and offers to accept the truce if Jon swears loyalty to her (I think?) and agrees to never leave the North;
  2. When Jon refuses, she says No Deal to the whole thing, and storms out of the conference;
  3. Tyrion says. . . . Something . . . . to her and she comes back not only ready to accept the truce, but pledges Lannister troops to fight with the North. . . . Except;
  4. She then says, Nope, I'm keeping my troops here to consolidate my hold on the South as soon as the Golden Company arrives.

I genuinely can't see a logical thread, but rather than just bashing the writing, I'll give the collective shadow writers here a chance to make sense of it.

And if you can do that, we can move on to the entire Sansa & Arya plotline, which has me similarly baffled.
The way I read Arya Sansa is Arya is playing the game of faces with her in the previous episodes and determines she wants what's best for the North and not whats best for her even if Sansa doesn't know that about herself. Arya wouldn't walk into the room to be betrayed without knowing the outcome. This might be assuming too much from Arya and is a little reachy.

Sansa applied Littlefingers advice to Littlefinger and went through each persons worst motivations. Then realized she has someone who can see the past and just asked him what happened.

Then sweet revenge.

My personal issue with this Arc is it revictimizes Sansa at the the hands of a man though she finally does beat him on her own. If you look at the season from the perspective of Sanssa the manipulated victim rather than Sansa, lady of winterfel I think everything works.

I really wish they spent less on CGI and more on shows. An episode like this one is what makes the show ticked. All of the problems this season could have been fixed with more dialog and greater screen time between battles to make the troop movements less jarring.

Cersai's line about listening to their father and calling Jaimie an idiot was fantastic.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:34 AM   #3374
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The way I read Arya Sansa is Arya is playing the game of faces with her in the previous episodes and determines she wants what's best for the North and not whats best for her even if Sansa doesn't know that about herself. Arya wouldn't walk into the room to be betrayed without knowing the outcome. This might be assuming too much from Arya and is a little reachy.

Sansa applied Littlefingers advice to Littlefinger and went through each persons worst motivations. Then realized she has someone who can see the past and just asked him what happened.

Then sweet revenge.

My personal issue with this Arc is it revictimizes Sansa at the the hands of a man though she finally does beat him on her own. If you look at the season from the perspective of Sanssa the manipulated victim rather than Sansa, lady of winterfel I think everything works.

I really wish they spent less on CGI and more on shows. An episode like this one is what makes the show ticked. All of the problems this season could have been fixed with more dialog and greater screen time between battles to make the troop movements less jarring.

Cersai's line about listening to their father and calling Jaimie an idiot was fantastic.
The only problem with this season was too much whinging. Less lips moving, less complaining about something would have been fantastic.
Less whinging.

EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #3375
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Worried Tyrion takes a malevolent turn after rewatching that scene. Either he is jealous, or he's made a deal with Cersei, or he's worried about the implications. The dark music though usually means something bad.
Yeah there is something going on there. He must have some sort of deal with Cersei. Not sure if it means he's going to backstab Daenerys and John but there is definitely some foreshadowing going on with that scene that he's conflicted about what he's about to do.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #3376
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

My read on Tyrion being unhappy about the Jon and Dany hookup is that he's hopeful for the wheel being broken, whereas another child with royal lineage is likely to keep the wheel intact. An ongoing questioning of his faith in Dany. Also, he has been repeatedly confronted with the death of his house, such as when he walked through the field of charred Lanisters. He is a conflicted soul.

That episode was fantastic. Makes all of the whinging by certain posters in this thread look all the more silly.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

Last edited by JohnnyB; 08-28-2017 at 07:28 AM.
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #3377
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For all the bellyaching that went on about Arya/Sansa/Littlefinger in this thread last week, it sure was nice to see a satisfying conclusion to that, and people should accept that maybe the show writers do have a good idea on what they are doing. What I'm saying is, stop whinging about unresolved story lines being horrible until you see the result.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #3378
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You are like the Sansa from earlier seasons. I'm happy for you that you haven't acquired much personal experience with very selfish and manipulative people in highly political situations.

All makes perfect sense to me though...

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #3379
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
As one incest relationship ends, another begins. Because if this show needs one thing to hold it together, it's incest.
Doesn't everyone have a hot aunt they fantasized about growing up?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #3380
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Doesn't everyone have a hot aunt they fantasized about growing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: