Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2022, 12:54 PM   #8121
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I see no issue with his "hardnose" reporting and switching it up from the cliche softballs. A little bit of tact might do Salim well. Jermain was a great ambassador for the city. There's more to the job than click-bait articles.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 01:02 PM   #8122
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Why would the Flames be obligated to put Gaudreau’s family up in a hotel anyway? Wouldn’t, you know, the Gaudreau’s take care of that?

If NHL teams are footing the bill for family visits, this would be the first I’ve heard of it.

I could see teams covering the cost of mothers and fathers trips but beyond that, the players and their families should be on their own. These people aren’t foreign dignitaries.
It has nothing to do with obligation and since we don't know the facts at all, I have a hard time getting worked up over who should have paid for what.

I find it very unlikely that if the Flames felt they should cover the cost of a Gaudreau family member's accommodation that they would have recommended Super 8.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 01:13 PM   #8123
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It has nothing to do with obligation and since we don't know the facts at all, I have a hard time getting worked up over who should have paid for what.

I find it very unlikely that if the Flames felt they should cover the cost of a Gaudreau family member's accommodation that they would have recommended Super 8.
Agreed.

I think the whole premise of the Flames being cheap through this supposed offer to pay for the Gaudreau’s stay at a Super 8 makes no sense on any level.

Actually, the original wording of it was the Flames ‘made’ them stay in a Super 8…..outrageous!!!

Last edited by TOfan; 12-30-2022 at 01:18 PM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 01:32 PM   #8124
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed.

I think the whole premise of the Flames being cheap through this supposed offer to pay for the Gaudreau’s stay at a Super 8 makes no sense on any level.

Actually, the original wording of it was the Flames ‘made’ them stay in a Super 8…..outrageous!!!
That was NOT the original wording.

I said "come into" that hotel, as in such a place was some negotiations were done, presumably because Flames management was staying there.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 01:35 PM   #8125
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Take it for whatever little it's worth, but I've enountered alternative takes.. that the Flames going back to the negotiations for his six year deal were penny-pinching in unflattering ways, things like making his family come into a super 8 motel, and just the general abuse of the no-offer-sheet leverage they had at that time, left a bad taste in Johnny's family's mouth, especially as he saw peers given 8 year deals and larger AAVs without being strongarmed.
Apologies, I must have misunderstood.
Old 12-30-2022, 01:40 PM   #8126
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it's not even about them staying a Super 8 but just meeting there?

The horror.

The horror.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 01:47 PM   #8127
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granted, I am not a pampered millionaire, but the newer Super 8s are pretty nice. People make it sound like they stayed at the Pines Motor Inn or something.
Old 12-30-2022, 01:47 PM   #8128
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
So it's not even about them staying a Super 8 but just meeting there?

The horror.

The horror.
Chilling.

Clearly you can see how this would have irked the Gaudreau family. My god, what on earth do you think they fed them?
Old 12-30-2022, 01:49 PM   #8129
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Chilling.

Clearly you can see how this would have irked the Gaudreau family. My god, what on earth do you think they fed them?
They probably received tap water instead of bottled water too!
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 01:53 PM   #8130
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
If there was a water slide at the Super 8, then the Gaudreau’s were never going to be satisfied anyway.
Old 12-30-2022, 01:54 PM   #8131
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
You joke but imo this could be extremely insulting to someone from New Jersey lol
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 01:55 PM   #8132
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was NOT the original wording.

I said "come into" that hotel, as in such a place was some negotiations were done, presumably because Flames management was staying there.
I won't judge anyone who chooses to step foot inside a super 8 but Flames aren't sending their management team to stay at one and negotiate major contracts. If so, they should expect some ridicule.

I don't believe any of it. I don't plan on listening to the podcast or whatever it was, but I can only assume "Super 8' is being used as an expression for a hotel that didn't end up being very nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 01:56 PM   #8133
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many millions did Gaudreau pass on to go to Columbus again? He could have bought every super 8 in town and shut them down
Old 12-30-2022, 02:04 PM   #8134
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Take it for whatever little it's worth, but I've enountered alternative takes.. that the Flames going back to the negotiations for his six year deal were penny-pinching in unflattering ways, things like making his family come into a super 8 motel, and just the general abuse of the no-offer-sheet leverage they had at that time, left a bad taste in Johnny's family's mouth, especially as he saw peers given 8 year deals and larger AAVs without being strongarmed.
This is such nonsense, who told you this? Why would you believe it?

By their own admissions Gaudreau's have stayed out of Johnny's negotiations, they did during his ELC (when the Flames rolled out the red carpet and private jet) and during this free agent period this summer when they were all surprised he ended up leaving the Flames and eventually signing with the Blue Jackets.

There is just so much dumb #### in your post. That's not how NHL negotiations go, you don't get a hotel room and invite the entire family in. Use your brain dude.

"general abuse" lol
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 02:08 PM   #8135
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I won't judge anyone who chooses to step foot inside a super 8 but Flames aren't sending their management team to stay at one and negotiate major contracts. If so, they should expect some ridicule.

I don't believe any of it. I don't plan on listening to the podcast or whatever it was, but I can only assume "Super 8' is being used as an expression for a hotel that didn't end up being very nice.
Whether it was a Super 8 or an Ace Hotel why would it have mattered in the least? So long as there was a conference room capable of meeting their needs what difference would it have made?

This supposed hardship the Gaudreau’s had to endure is one to remember.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:08 PM   #8136
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Re: Salim, I don’t know what some guys here are on him about? He’s one of the few that have not been a team lackey from the start. He could have easily been a Jermaine Franklin type and ask softball questions to preserve his job and be cushy with the management team, but instead chooses to be critical where’s needed. Not sure where the ulterior motive theories about him come from but it reads here like wacko conspiracies. The “he doesn’t know the game” crowd, really? You think he didn’t earn a place at the table and TSN hired him without knowing anything about the sport? I’d rather not have a politician covering the team. He’s been fair given it would be so easy to do what the team wants. Daryl hasn’t done squat with the team this year. Any critique is more than fair.
Can you link to any article or video segment he's done that feature some of his insightful takes? I'm willing to take a look if you can point to anything. Even one article.

That aside, there's a huge difference between "earning a place at the table" and being a strong analyst of the game. Some reporters are weaker at understanding the game than others. And these reporters might still "earn a place at the table" by building relationships with key personnel around the league, having a good bullship detector, having a strong understanding of another facet of the business like cap-economics, human psychology, team building, hockey analytics, etc. Maybe they're a really good story-teller. Maybe they're big on the community angle. Maybe they're really good at creating a dialogue with fans. There are a many ways to be successful in the sports journalism business.

What I don't find value, is in reporters being provocative for the sake of being provocative. Or in click bait. Or baseless speculation based on little to no unique insights or synthesis. These arent good ways to build a brand or earn respect around the league.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 02:18 PM   #8137
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well you guys really ruined this thread. Congrats. Maybe we can start a "complaining about Treliving, Sutter is a big meanie, reporters who are too critical and/or nice and hotel meeting accommodations" thread for everyone who feels so negative they have to wreck the dang trade rumors thread.

Last edited by Burning Beard; 12-30-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Burning Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 02:26 PM   #8138
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whether it was a Super 8 or an Ace Hotel why would it have mattered in the least? So long as there was a conference room capable of meeting their needs what difference would it have made?

This supposed hardship the Gaudreau’s had to endure is one to remember.
Are the Gaudreau's claiming some hardship? I hadn't heard that either.

This is silly. I haven't heard of Ace hotels but let's not turn this into some kind of class debate. NHL teams stay at classy hotels with nice rooms and nice meeting spaces and aren't going to ask Gaudreau's reps to drive to a Super 8 somewhere. Treliving and crew are going to stay offsite for the GM meetings at a Super 8 while the rest of the league is at the St. Regis or Four Seasons?
Old 12-30-2022, 02:26 PM   #8139
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, this thread really degenerated into a bunch clucking hen gossiping about "what they have heard" in relation to the Flames management and coaches.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 02:28 PM   #8140
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Well you guys really ruined this thread. Congrats. Maybe we can start a "complaining about Treliving, Sutter is a big meanie, reporters who are too critical and/or nice and hotel meeting accommodations" thread for everyone who feels so negative they have to wreck the dang trade rumors thread.
You’re not going to get “trade rumours” for just “Super 8 debate”. You’ll need to add at least some “Sam Bennett gripes” and “Jankowski chatter”.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post: