Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2023, 12:44 PM   #9101
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If Sutter does become GM, the thing that would get me excited would be if Iggy became our Head Coach like St. Louis in Montreal.

Sutter oversees the rebuild, Iginla puts the happy face on a few dark years while building the culture.
What can Iggy do with a team full of Trevor Lewis?
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 12:45 PM   #9102
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1619054027999973376

Lots of potential trade deadline movers getting injured.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 12:47 PM   #9103
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
He probably wouldn't be signing with us after a season like this - leaving the team with 3 superstars bailing on the organization in 2 years. The team/organization couldn't do that.

So we'd either be trading him at the deadline, or losing him for nothing...and the Flames weren't rebuilding after Florida put their offer on the table. Maybe they should have, but they weren't...so, this it.

I still think Huberdeau is an elite player. He's just here...on this team, with this structure and it's not working. That's a Flames problem.
He is a good player and will probably be an even better player when he becomes even more comfortable with the team but its the fact of just how much he will be making and his contribution to the team is not worth that much. For that much money he should be able to carry his own line. In Florida though he must have been the one carrying Bennett and Duclair. We will see. He is signed for 8 more years so there will be plenty of time to reavaluate him.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:47 PM   #9104
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If Markstrom does want to move on, he better start playing better, or there won't be any takers.

I could see it though. One of the reasons he left Vancouver was because he wanted to go somewhere where he was the undisputed #1, and with Demko coming up at the time, it looked like he was going to have to share to goal more. Maybe he is seeing the same thing with Vladar pushing this year and Wolf coming down the line.
If Matt Murray can be traded Markstrom can be.

There are some very good teams with very questionable goalies right now. Some teams are going to get screwed over by this in the playoffs
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:57 PM   #9105
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He probably wouldn't be signing with us after a season like this - leaving the team with 3 superstars bailing on the organization in 2 years. The team/organization couldn't do that.

So we'd either be trading him at the deadline, or losing him for nothing...and the Flames weren't rebuilding after Florida put their offer on the table. Maybe they should have, but they weren't...so, this it.

I still think Huberdeau is an elite player. He's just here...on this team, with this structure and it's not working. That's a Flames problem.
Thing is maybe this season actually makes him a better player...he was played sheltered offensive minutes at times in Florida, especially last year when his zone starts were way up above 70%.

It seems crazy to say because his production is so down - but his xGF% at 5v5 is actually the highest of his career on the back of improved defensive play.

I do think he's really been focused on not cheating to create offense at 5v5 which has hurt production a bit (honestly he probably should be cheating a bit more). But in terms of GF vs GA he's actually coming out ahead even if it's low event hockey.

To his deployment as net front on the PP is baffling and might be the biggest issue though.

We have a guy that was second in primary assists, and total assists on the PP to only McDavid the three seasons prior to this one (2019-2022)...and he's not the focal point of the PP and instead running it through Kadri/Andersson/Toffoli.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 01:20 PM   #9106
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
He is a good player and will probably be an even better player when he becomes even more comfortable with the team but its the fact of just how much he will be making and his contribution to the team is not worth that much. For that much money he should be able to carry his own line. In Florida though he must have been the one carrying Bennett and Duclair. We will see. He is signed for 8 more years so there will be plenty of time to reavaluate him.
Nobody carries their own line to real success.

This entire idea of carrying is a bad one. You build a good team by playing good players with good players who compliment each other, and then having a good enough coach to actually play them together.

Think of all the years this team wasted by playing Tkachuk with Backlund and Frolik and Gaudreau with Monahan and Lindholm, driving Bennett out of town etc. because they were being coached by idiots.

Our PP being trash buckets is definitely crushing Huberdeau's productivity this season. Even strength wise Huberdeau is establishing himself as one of the best defensive forwards in the league, and if he had a legitimately good winger to play with alongside Kadri his even strength production likely improves notably as well (it'd be a big win if Pelts can be that!)
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:22 PM   #9107
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Interesting comments from Friedman on the 32 Thoughts podcast this morning….when discussing the Devils at the deadline he mentioned Tarasenko. As part of that he mentioned that as part of the Tkachuk trade this summer, St Louis would have to move Tarasenko. He said there was rumours he would end up with the Devils because he wasn’t going to go to Calgary and Calgary didn’t want him. So scratch Tarasenko off the list?
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SaskyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 01:57 PM   #9108
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

well i dont want you either tarasenko
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 01:58 PM   #9109
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskyFlamesFan View Post
Interesting comments from Friedman on the 32 Thoughts podcast this morning….when discussing the Devils at the deadline he mentioned Tarasenko. As part of that he mentioned that as part of the Tkachuk trade this summer, St Louis would have to move Tarasenko. He said there was rumours he would end up with the Devils because he wasn’t going to go to Calgary and Calgary didn’t want him. So scratch Tarasenko off the list?
That sucks…. Blues aren’t rebuilding in my opinion, likely hope to retool.

Realize it ain’t happening but…. An expiring tarasenko for Huberdeau straight up, who says no?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:59 PM   #9110
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
That sucks…. Blues aren’t rebuilding in my opinion, likely hope to retool.

Realize it ain’t happening but…. An expiring tarasenko for Huberdeau straight up, who says no?
Sadly the Blues. Cap space is king nowadays.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:01 PM   #9111
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
Treliving really messed up with the Huberdeau contract. A big overpayment. He should never have been signed until he played for the team first.How different might have the contract looked then.
And why would Huberdeau sign an extension with the team where he's producing his worst totals in a long time.
So it would have resulted in them flipping him instead and at his lowest value.

It's in everyone's best interest (Huberdeau and the Flames) to find a way to get him going. Including at some point if he did want to be traded that only happens if he's producing.

But the notion that they should have waited and then he would have signed a lower contract is dumb. If they waited you are looking at having to trade him for sure, and at low value. Which maybe will still have been better than the deal they signed, but the scenario you are describing doesn't exist.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 02:10 PM   #9112
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
And why would Huberdeau sign an extension with the team where he's producing his worst totals in a long time.
So it would have resulted in them flipping him instead and at his lowest value.

It's in everyone's best interest (Huberdeau and the Flames) to find a way to get him going. Including at some point if he did want to be traded that only happens if he's producing.

But the notion that they should have waited and then he would have signed a lower contract is dumb. If they waited you are looking at having to trade him for sure, and at low value. Which maybe will still have been better than the deal they signed, but the scenario you are describing doesn't exist.
I agree. The immediate sentiment after the trade was did the flames trade one guy who decided to get out for 2 guys potentially leaving as well (on the last year of their deals ). That’s why I am not blaming treliving at all. He did as much as he could from a ‘team on paper’ perspective. Nobody could have imagined it going so badly thus far.

I also agree flames/Huberdeau need to find a way to make this work. If they don’t, that’s up there as the worst forward contract in the league next year.

If moving to a new team/city has shaken Huberdeau so much , where he’s likely scoring less than half of his total’s last year, I fear I have little hope he has the mental fortitude to be able to lift this team thru the playoffs.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:18 PM   #9113
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If moving to a new team/city has shaken Huberdeau so much , where he’s likely scoring less than half of his total’s last year, I fear I have little hope he has the mental fortitude to be able to lift this team thru the playoffs.
I hear where you're coming from, but I think (hope) that it's more a seasons of life thing, and he'll get it figured out. But I could also be projecting my own experiences on him.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 02:24 PM   #9114
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
I agree. The immediate sentiment after the trade was did the flames trade one guy who decided to get out for 2 guys potentially leaving as well (on the last year of their deals ). That’s why I am not blaming treliving at all. He did as much as he could from a ‘team on paper’ perspective. Nobody could have imagined it going so badly thus far.

I also agree flames/Huberdeau need to find a way to make this work. If they don’t, that’s up there as the worst forward contract in the league next year.

For me I would rather trade him at a lower cost and have the 10.5 mil in cap space then be burdened with a contract like that for 8yrs. Plus even if his numbers were down you would still get a good haul for him. Tre panicked because he was worried about public perception. A contract like that with 64.5 mil guaranteed and for 8yrs is insane. Cap space is more valuable than overpaying like that. You always have other options. Tre just panicked and felt pressure to get something done because of how that might look if another got away and then you are dealing from a position of weakness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Horse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 02:41 PM   #9115
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody carries their own line to real success.

This entire idea of carrying is a bad one. You build a good team by playing good players with good players who compliment each other, and then having a good enough coach to actually play them together.

Think of all the years this team wasted by playing Tkachuk with Backlund and Frolik and Gaudreau with Monahan and Lindholm, driving Bennett out of town etc. because they were being coached by idiots.
Wait what?

Both those lines were elite at different times. They had some line issues (Ritchie with Gaudreau and Monahan anyone!) but I don't think the 3M line or Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm were the issues.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 02:44 PM   #9116
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskyFlamesFan View Post
Probably for the best

We'll gladly take Meier or Domi, thank you
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:53 PM   #9117
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Wait what?

Both those lines were elite at different times. They had some line issues (Ritchie with Gaudreau and Monahan anyone!) but I don't think the 3M line or Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm were the issues.
Yet both were worse than Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk. This team had the makings of the best line in hockey, but the coaches didn’t find it until the last year two of those players were here.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:59 PM   #9118
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

After the way the summer went they had a chance to reset, but they panicked.If they would have waited to sign Hubey they would have had more options. It is one of the deepest drafts in years and even if he didn't sign you could do a quick retool. Then you could bring in whoever you want. If you think Meir is the right guy then you have the space. one more year after this one and a lot of contracts are off the books and you could really shape this team the way you wanted. Now they are more restricted as to what they can do. This team is just not good enough as currently constructed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Horse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 03:10 PM   #9119
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yet both were worse than Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk. This team had the makings of the best line in hockey, but the coaches didn’t find it until the last year two of those players were here.
So then what would it have been?

Bennett-Monahan-Neal
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik?

They did well to have two good lines on that team.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:19 PM   #9120
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1619054027999973376

Lots of potential trade deadline movers getting injured.
Well looks like Cole Schwindt and a 2nd rounder won't be going to Columbus now.