Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2018, 08:16 AM   #581
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

We need more E bikes... cant wait to rip down 12th ave bike lanes to the game and dump the LimeBike out front of the dome/new arena..

Here is the real future of DT Calgary:
Spoiler!
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #582
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
A question I’ve asked many times but never found an answer for: where would the airport station be? Armchair QB using google maps, I don’t see an easy way to get it close to the terminal(s) - anything more than a 5 minute indoor walk to get to the auto drop-off/pick-up areas would be another big negative...
Right in between the Delta Hotel and the new parkade I think. The train would be in a similar setup to Vancouver, where the train would turn around at the station, not be in a loop.

This document is a few years old, but shows a general route for the train into the terminal:
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...esentation.pdf

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 11-03-2018 at 09:52 AM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #583
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm not a Calgarian but here are my two cents on airport LRT.

1. You can't say you want to be a world class city but not build the infrastructure for one. Look at Halifax. They want to be world class (rightfully so) but don't want to invest in transportation infrastructure. The city needs an LRT but the closest to rail transport they've come to is a proposal to use the old freight rail lines (because everyone lives by freight rail tracks). If you're going to do it, don't cheap out.

2. Airports are vital to economic success. To make them more accessible is a good thing. Parking at the airport sucks. Doesn't matter which airport. I don't want to get off a plane at 11:30pm or 2:00am ar YQY and drive home. I don't want to have to dig my car out from 3 feet of snow at YHZ (I've done it, I'm still angry and hold a grudge Quality Inn Halifax Airport), and I don't want to get into a cab in an unknown city, paying a premium because I'm at the airport (every airport on earth). I also don't like to bum rides to the airport (but totally do). LRT makes life so much easier and smoother. I adore the UP in Toronto (it's not light rail but same principle).

3. Sure LRT to the airport helps tourists and business travelers. But it really helps locals. It makes better use of the airport for you fine folks. You'd likely get to the airport a bit earlier, meaning an extra coffee or beer at the airport before you depart which is a good thing.

If you want my two cents (which obviously you do, because no one asked me) if you want to be world class build for the future not today. You don't build a hockey team saying "why sign a superstar if we are middle of the road today?" You sign a superstar to make you a contender in June.
I’ve taken the 300 from downtown the airport. Limited stop bus. Sure, it’s not as sexy as a train, but time wise it’s efficient. In fact, more efficient than if you hopped on a train, waited for a transfer at the NELRT and took that downtown (which stops at every stop). That would be at least a 40min journey vs the 300, which is 30-35 minutes. So what’s the improvement besides the image of bus versus train? You certainly don’t need the capacity of a train vs bus, because ridership is pretty low relatively speaking for that journey.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #584
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I’ve taken the 300 from downtown the airport. Limited stop bus. Sure, it’s not as sexy as a train, but time wise it’s efficient. In fact, more efficient than if you hopped on a train, waited for a transfer at the NELRT and took that downtown (which stops at every stop). That would be at least a 40min journey vs the 300, which is 30-35 minutes. So what’s the improvement besides the image of bus versus train? You certainly don’t need the capacity of a train vs bus, because ridership is pretty low relatively speaking for that journey.
Lots of business people would go directly from DT. The other advantage of train versus bus is the room for luggage. If you have been a wheeled carry on a bus isn't very convenient, if it's crowded.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #585
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, a bus doesn't cut it if you have luggage.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #586
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Lots of business people would go directly from DT. The other advantage of train versus bus is the room for luggage. If you have been a wheeled carry on a bus isn't very convenient, if it's crowded.
The 300 is direct airport-downtown (with limited stops on centre). The buses have luggage racks on that route, so not an issue.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #587
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d try it, but the hours would have to be way earlier I think. Can you take the LRT at 4 AM?

[update] wow 4 AM is peak time.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/..._ctrainmap.pdf

[update 2] I misinterpreted that chart, CT site is kind of a mess. I’ll stick to Checker. LOL

Last edited by Badgers Nose; 11-03-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #588
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, a bus doesn't cut it if you have luggage.
A 300 bus. Worked fine.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #589
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A 300 bus. Worked fine.
I still have to take the train to get to it though, right? Unless I'm Parkin get DT.

For me it'd be easier to take the blue line all the way.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #590
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A 300 bus. Worked fine.

As a regular traveller, that just screams out, welcome to bush league.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #591
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Ok, so yes - for a lot of people this isn’t so much a matter of utility - but of civic image. That’s fine, we just need to admit that. But we have to remember, there is no proposition on the table to have a direct rail link to downtown. C-Trains have no such luggage racks like say the UP. So it will still have that clumsiness and lack of direct downtown link.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #592
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, so yes - for a lot of people this isn’t so much a matter of utility - but of civic image. That’s fine, we just need to admit that. But we have to remember, there is no proposition on the table to have a direct rail link to downtown. C-Trains have no such luggage racks like say the UP. So it will still have that clumsiness and lack of direct downtown link.
The Sky Train is about 4 stops to DT I think. It seems to be a wider train so luggage isn't really an issue. I suppose it could be on the C Train, except for those newer ones that have more standing/leaning areas.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #593
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post

I used a bus in Montreal - it was fine. Lifting your luggage up one step is more annoying than walking straight into a train, but many airports in the world use buses to shuttle between terminals.

An actual dedicated bus from city hall to YYC via Deerfoot would seem to be the easiest, cheapest, and fastest solution. Especially if we start to move towards good HOV lanes like world-class cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #594
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I see lots of Olympic discussion here still, but as I understand it, it's basically dead, no?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #595
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I see lots of Olympic discussion here still, but as I understand it, it's basically dead, no?
No
Calgarians will have thier say Nov.13
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...pic-plebiscite
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #596
Breakfast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Nope. The 2026 Swindle is still alive and kicking. City Council voted to maintain the plebiscite instead of cancelling the whole bid outright (even through the majority of CC voted to cancel the bid, they needed 10 votes to cancel the plebiscite).

So, it’s now in the general populations hands, which is slightly concerning because i assume most people haven’t been following this process closely, and don’t understand how truly shady the financials are.

Of course, BidCo has all of the olympians (and business developers, and tourism people) out selling this Olympics on the basis of “legacy”.

I will be voting no, but for anyone voting, I hope you do your research and vote accordingly, yes or no.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #597
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
No
Calgarians will have thier say Nov.13
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...pic-plebiscite
Yeah, but it seems there's not a hope in hell for the yes side after what was presented.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #598
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but it seems there's not a hope in hell for the yes side after what was presented.
Probably, but with how recent elections have shown, actual results could be surprising. The BidCo is gonna be marketing hard for the next week, so we'll see if it makes a difference or not.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #599
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
It is part of the deal, if you read between the lines:
$100M earmarked for a new 5k seat stadium
$80M earmarked for Saddledome upgrades.

This is $180M that will be (IS) put toward the building of the new arena.

I wish the Flames owners would come out and say 'If you vote yes, a new arena will be built', because this is the best opportunity for it to happen.
So much for transparency if this is true.

As a taxpayer, I shouldn’t have to read between the lines when it comes to Olympics or Arena financing plans.

Getting into bed with the IOC is bad enough, having it negotiated by people who can’t tell us the truth makes it even worse!

I know this is an arena thread but the issues are intertwined.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #600
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

My opinion is that they are not. Going back to my conversation with councilor Davidson - he told me they were separate entities. They wanted to keep them separate so that the Olympic bid wouldn’t jeopardize the arena deal. Take it for what you will.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post: