Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #321
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
I hope they leave one of the ends for a "supporters" zone. Those upper rings look fancy and there are not any cheap seats in that rendering.
What are supporter zones? Is that like the standing room area for leafs games? So basically really cheap tickets? That would be nice.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #322
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST20 View Post
What are supporter zones? Is that like the standing room area for leafs games? So basically really cheap tickets? That would be nice.
Honestly, supporter zones would be awesome.

Cheap tickets, cheap beer and it creates an atmosphere.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #323
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
This was the original concept for Rogers Arena.

Versus how it turned out.

The features remained consistent in having the bridge over the street. So although the actual design of the new Flames arena likely will look different, the height and elements of the concept probably will happen.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #324
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST20 View Post
If I were the flames. I would try to create a Fan Club for fans who want to stand and cheer. As a member of the club, you are on the end either in the lower bowl or upper deck. I think in a NHL arena, wherever the stage is designed to go, could be the section dedicated to this group. The group would have a coordinator at the front driving chants. This would cue the rest of the arena to make more noise. It would really amp up the atmosphere. But the team needs to be willing to make these affordable tickets for dedicated hardcore fans who will show up. Google European Hockey fans.

Something like this:

Spoiler!

They should try this with one of the press level in the mean time. Add railings between the rows. $10 tickets. Flames jerseys only.

Last edited by RM14; 10-05-2018 at 12:06 PM.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #325
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like it
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #326
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like it too. The fact that it's not a monolithic, imposing structure is probably a great thing for the area
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #327
Flamesfan2010
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If I were the flames. I would try to create a Fan Club for fans who want to stand and cheer. As a member of the club, you are on the end either in the lower bowl or upper deck. I think in a NHL arena, wherever the stage is designed to go, could be the section dedicated to this group. The group would have a coordinator at the front driving chants. This would cue the rest of the arena to make more noise. It would really amp up the atmosphere. But the team needs to be willing to make these affordable tickets for dedicated hardcore fans who will show up. Google European Hockey fans.

Something like this:

Spoiler!

They should try this with one of the press level in the mean time. Add railings between the rows. $10 tickets. Flames jerseys only.
That would be awesome, but you wouldn't even notice them in the dome. The press level seats are basically hidden from view.
Flamesfan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #328
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I like it too. The fact that it's not a monolithic, imposing structure is probably a great thing for the area
My thoughts too. Not some monolithic artificial looking structure like Rogers in Edmonton. It's softer, more natural looking. Would be easier to integrate into an area without standing out like a sore thumb. Best initial idea we've seen yet.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #329
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan2010 View Post
That would be awesome, but you wouldn't even notice them in the dome. The press level seats are basically hidden from view.
But this suggestion would probably work really well in a new building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #330
Flamesfan2010
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For sure and would probably add some atmosphere to the building that the dome is missing.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #331
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan2010 View Post
For sure and would probably add some atmosphere to the building that the dome is missing.
The difficult part is that the 'Supporters Section' as it were should be at ground level, probably behind one of the nets.

The problem with that being that those are among the most expensive seats, you're talking lower bowl premium seating and turning it into a standing supporters section?

Yeah, thats not going to fly.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #332
Flamesfan2010
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The difficult part is that the 'Supporters Section' as it were should be at ground level, probably behind one of the nets.

The problem with that being that those are among the most expensive seats, you're talking lower bowl premium seating and turning it into a standing supporters section?

Yeah, thats not going to fly.
I agree, I was thinking they would be upper bowl. But still be visible to the crowd in the building. I feel it would get a lot more people chanting and make for more noise.... because the dome is practically a library most of the time.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #333
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Now we have to get the public to understand that there is a greater chance of this being built if Calgary WINS an Olympic bid. Its the only guaranteed way it is done.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #334
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ It's like 'fries are cheaper if you get them as part of a meal' when you only want fries. You end up paying more overall, and you get a bunch of crap you don't want.

Last edited by puckedoff; 10-05-2018 at 01:13 PM.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #335
hummdeedoo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Something like this:

Spoiler!

Don't forget the Beer Pipline. Beer piped into the stadium from the Calgary sports and entertainment brewery.

Set up self service taps around the new arena and use Amazon Go technology for easy no line up payment.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #336
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Escalators please. Lots of them. Indoor and outdoor.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #337
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummdeedoo View Post
Don't forget the Beer Pipline. Beer piped into the stadium from the Calgary sports and entertainment brewery.

Set up self service taps around the new arena and use Amazon Go technology for easy no line up payment.
Linked to your membership account for easy payment and rewards points. Every 6 beers purchased, get one free.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #338
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Escalators please. Lots of them. Indoor and outdoor.
How do escalators perform in deep snow and -20 temperatures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #339
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Escalators outside would need to be covered for sure. Many newer arenas have them. I'd just like to see more 'people moving' conveniences. They keep the throngs moving at a decent pace and it's easier when carrying multiple brewskis.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #340
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Arena renderings presented to the City's Event Centre Assessment Committee this morning...

I really, really like this. To me that is an inviting looking building. Edmonton's arena is a cold, inward focused monolith. This looks like it belongs in the neighbourhood. I like the warmer tones with the wood. Similar sort of look to the Central Library with the wood in the underbelly at the entrance.