Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #41
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Jobo,

Are you going to the community day again this year? Possibly beating up Huggybear.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #42
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I doubt I'll be buying the new NHL this year.

Last years version sullied things too much for me with that game franchise. Maybe in a few years I might rent it, but I will likely just stick to NHL11 for my hockey gaming fix.
nhl 11 was disappointing, but still the best hockey game out to date. i'll be buying an NHL game every year, as that's the only video game i play, and regardless of quality, am stuck playing it a lot just to get my 'fix'. It is for this reason alone that i hope the 2K series comes back. competition really forced out better game quality in my opinion.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #43
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

This will probably be the first time since 2001 that I won't buy the new game (before that only the years 97, 98, 99 and 00 were missed). My decision isn't actually rooted in my distaste for 2011... I actually really enjoy the game. My issue is that I never have time to play it anymore. I'd like to focus on other games for a while. I'll just keep going with my 2011 dynasty sporadically when I need my fix.

The series is starting to focus more and more on "different" kinds of modes with a heavy reliance on online gaming. While I enjoy online (and playing with many of you), I prefer my hockey offline. I find losing online to be an intensely unpleasant experience that sticks with me way too long, and for that reason I stopped. I'm a dynasty guy... I just like building a team, sticking it out and being a part of the peaks and valleys.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #44
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Hey Jobo,

Are you going to the community day again this year? Possibly beating up Huggybear.
Nope not this year.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #45
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
My issue is that I never have time to play it anymore.
I've been running into that problem the last couple years too. I didn't play NHL 10 as much as I would have liked because I had so many other games and I'm running into that same problem with NHL 11 which I haven't played in probably 6 months. With me possibly going back to school this fall for game art I may need to stop buying games completely for a while and just play the ones I have which probably could last me the year I would be in school.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #46
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Ughhhh.. broken glass. I hate that. Love dynamic goalies though

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1170039p1.html
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #47
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

eh dynamic goalies looks like it's going to happen too much.....also the "jostling" in front of the net looks more like a basketball post game than....also the desperation save shown looked just like the desperation save that they have in the game right now lol
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #48
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

EA SPORTS Unveils New Features for NHL 12

Award-winning Franchise Invites You to Be the Next Great Legend

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With the Stanley Cup® Playoffs heating up, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) is getting in on the action with the announcement of new features for EA SPORTS™ NHL® 12, shipping on September 9th in Europe and September 13th in North America. Play your way to superstardom in the revamped Be a Pro mode and experience the authentic action and energy of real life hockey with the Full Contact Physics Engine.

In the revamped Be a Pro mode, experience the pursuit of greatness and legendary moments in your playing career, shatter historic records and cement yourself in NHL history. Additionally, the better you play, the more ice time you’ll get where you can simulate to your next shift with the EA SPORTS Action Tracker so you’re always on the ice as you play out your entire career in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

The NHL 12 Full Contact Physics Engine puts you in the rink with everything now live on the ice, from players to the environment - everything is interactive and in play. Experience the skill and aggression of hockey from shattered glass to flying helmets to knocking players over the boards and into the bench; crash the crease too hard and you’ll knock the net off and send the goalie flying. Size and physicality will be emphasized as bigger players will be able to throw their weight around as they screen the goalie and battle in front of the net.

This year marks the first time players will face dynamic goalies in the game. Players can knock the net off and make contact with goalies, knocking them down or out of position, as they crash the crease. Watch as goalies battle through screens to make awe-inspiring saves. Additionally, we’re reigniting the beloved fighting engine that first appeared in NHL 10 with all-new goalie battles. When the action gets heated, send a message by leaving the net, dropping the gloves, and trading punches with rivals during fights.

All new gameplay presentation creates an authentic, fresh new look and feel throughout NHL 12 with presentation graphics that mimic real life hockey broadcasts. For the first time ever lace up outdoors under the lights in one of the biggest hockey events of the season, the 2011 NHL Winter Classic® at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, within seconds of putting in the disc. Inspired by the NHL GameCenter Ice Tracker, the all-new EA SPORTS Action Tracker presents game highlights and key moments so you never miss a beat.

This is just a sneak peek of what’s to come in EA SPORTS NHL 12. Stay tuned in the coming months for more news on the franchise as well as the EA SPORTS Hockey League and Hockey Ultimate Team. To get in on the action now visit www.easports.com/nhl to pre-order your copy of NHL 12.

--------------------------------------------

Some screens as well. (Can't get hi-res currently)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #49
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I like the idea of crashing the net, but I can see EASHL being a gong show with guys just trying to push the goalie out of the way now
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #50
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have they fixed the Saddledome Jumbotron yet?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #51
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the looks of the video Kipper will be wearing the same mask as the previous versions. Kinda wish they could update the colors on that.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #52
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The stats, player progression, and simming in dynasty mode need to be drastically overhauled.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #53
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
I like the idea of crashing the net, but I can see EASHL being a gong show with guys just trying to push the goalie out of the way now
Being a manual goalie is tough enough now. This is gonna make things really crazy!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #54
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL 12 site is now live.

http://www.ea.com/nhl/1/nhl-12
Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #55
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
As something that was once in the game, look for it to be re-introduced as a new feature very soon. Classic EA.
This is the comment I was thinking of most while watching the video.

Broken glass? Check. Helmets coming off? Check. Goalie fights? Check.

I love EA and the fact that they have to turn out a new game every September (as well as support the old one for a few months) just ensures that main features are rehashed old features. I'm not saying they're incapable of innovating (they've done it before), just that their timetable makes innovation very very hard.

The outdoor game is kinda cool, but I don't see how it adds to the experience. I already debate skipping the all star game every time it comes up. Not sure much will be different there.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, just finally reaching the end of my road with the game. It's gone from a yearly tradition of following every single bit of information to flacid interest and that saddens me.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #56
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dynamic goalies sounds good. I always thought the goalies needed a bit more variation and personality in the game.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #57
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

They mentioned Simming to your next shift in BAP..... does this mean you will be playing full 60 minute games and only going out when the coach wants you to? Rather than the current system of playing 80% of the game, never having goals scored when you're off the ice, every other players stats being messed up, and being able to get on and off the ice whenever you feel like it? That would definitely be a step in the right direction if BAP can become somewhat realistic.

The one thing I really want to see in these games is some type of playing/skating styles given to the players, as of right now everyone looks the same. Jay Bouwmeester and Cory Sarich skate and move around on the ice the exact same way, so do Ovechkin and George Parros, just at a different speed. I really don't think it's an unrealistic thing to expect either as it's something you see in every other sports video game, Madden has player specific throwing motions, NBA games have shooting and dribbling, and baseball games have pitching and bating stances that are player specific. It seems like a rather obvious improvement, but it's one thing that has only been done once before in hockey video games.......

If Ice Hockey for NES can do it I'm sure they can figure out something for NHL12 on the PS3 or Xbox360

Last edited by koop; 05-24-2011 at 01:26 PM.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to koop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #58
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are they going to have multi-player season mode? Both pick a different team and play a whole season.
Then either play against computer when your team is up, or have other person fill in. All other games simed

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #59
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well they added a lot of what I wanted.

Goalie fights - Check
Broken Glass - Check
Hitting guys over the boards - Check
Hitting the net off - Check
Running goalies - Check

But these are little things, should take them like 2 months MAXIMUM to program.

Still awaiting proper AI, because if they don't add that, NHL 12 will be another fail. The AI has gotten to the point of making the game unplayable.

They say another "big" announcement is coming, but it will probably be minor. Heres hoping!
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #60
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Well they added a lot of what I wanted.

Goalie fights - Check
Broken Glass - Check
Hitting guys over the boards - Check
Hitting the net off - Check
Running goalies - Check

But these are little things, should take them like 2 months MAXIMUM to program.

Still awaiting proper AI, because if they don't add that, NHL 12 will be another fail. The AI has gotten to the point of making the game unplayable.

They say another "big" announcement is coming, but it will probably be minor. Heres hoping!
Big Announcement:

You'll be able to play the Winter Classic in year one of your Be a GM mode if you're controlling either the Penguins or Capitals!!!
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ea sports , goalie collisions , nhl , video games , winter classic